Olympics use NHLers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Gurj said:
Technically no, they said that they think if the NHL is not up and running by January 2005, they don't think the NHLers will be made available.

Didn't Rene Fasel and some NHL boss say that Olympics is just what the NHL would need after a long lock-out?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Its a No at this point.

The NHL is thinking this way, now the 04/05 season is cut in half or gone so we don't want anything to interupt the 05/06 season.

Reilly311

Lets say the lockout resumes in Janurary of 06 (which is when I think it will), there will be like 20 games in the regular season if the NHLers are allowed to go.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
McDonald19 said:
Its a No at this point.

The NHL is thinking this way, now the 04/05 season is cut in half or gone so we don't want anything to interupt the 05/06 season.

Oh please God, let it not be that way! I live for the Olympic games!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Primetime955 said:
Are you all nuts. Keep the NHL players out of the Olympics. Paid proffesionals shouldnt be in the olympics. Make it like it used to be. Screw these dream teams. I hate it. Stick with the amatures.

Unfortunatly all of the big european leagues have turned into pro leauges the last 15 years, so outside the american college leauges and amateur leagues there wouldn't be much places to choose players from.

Why not do a U23 tournament like the Olympic Soccer tournament in Athens was?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't understand why people think the olympics are only for amauters...the olympics should be about the best athletes in the world competing against each other, and the only way for that to happen in hockey is to allow NHL players to participate.

but it really should be players who WANT to be there and represent their country, and aren't just going to slack off and not play hard. (USA basketball, i'm looking in your direction).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Primetime955 said:
Paid proffesionals shouldnt be in the olympics. Make it like it used to be. Screw these dream teams. I hate it. Stick with the amatures.

According to your logic skijumpers and alpine skiers would also be excluded from the Olympics.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Levitate said:
i don't understand why people think the olympics are only for amauters...the olympics should be about the best athletes in the world competing against each other, and the only way for that to happen in hockey is to allow NHL players to participate.

but it really should be players who WANT to be there and represent their country, and aren't just going to slack off and not play hard. (USA basketball, i'm looking in your direction).

Well said! The money corrupted everything that once had it's value and meant something!
It will allways mean something to me and some players like :bow: Zherdev who's biggest dream was to represent his country at the Olympics. Amen

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Primetime955 said:
Are you all nuts. Keep the NHL players out of the Olympics. Paid proffesionals shouldnt be in the olympics. Make it like it used to be. Screw these dream teams. I hate it. Stick with the amatures.

All sorts of Olympic athletes are not amateurs. On top of that, so-called "amateurs" rake in how much dough in sweet deals on the side?

It is about each country bringing their BEST, and frankly it irritates me when leagues won't allow their players to play in the Olympics.

As for this issue, the Olympic this-or-that will allow the players, however the NHL seems to be set on not allowing them because they feel enough playing time was lost in the lockout.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
hockey_in_hel* said:
Are NHL players going to play in the 2006 Olympics in Turin?

-Tyler

If still locked out it would NHLers who wouldn't want to go if the don't have NHL contracts to fall back on. Unpaid, might not be playing, and the risk of injury at the Olympics would scare quite a few off. If the Lockout is still in force I'd say a few would risk it and a few wouldn't.

If the lockout lasts until Jan 05, no chance they go the Olympics, the season would be too short to fit it in.

If the season starts on time, yes, its great PR and they have the flexibility of fitting it in.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think the NHL used the Olympics as a negotiating chip. They know the players want to play at the Olympics, hence told Fasel that without a deal by January, there will be no NHL players in the Olympics. They thought that this would convince Goodenow to hasten negotiations. So I am willing to assume that Bettman will send players to the Olympics, even if a deal is signed after January, so long as there is a season for 05/06.

Suppose the lockout goes beyond February 2006. Could the national federations then simply pick the NHL players, assuming that most of them are playing in Europe to maintain their skills?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
Suppose the lockout goes beyond February 2006. Could the national federations then simply pick the NHL players, assuming that most of them are playing in Europe to maintain their skills?
Sure, how else would they do ?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Primetime955 said:

People watch the olympics these days to watch the BEST of the best competing for there country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad