Olympics schedules released

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for posting this, won't be the same without the NHL involved but I still am expecting a fun and exciting tournament.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I absolutely love best-on-best hockey and was so looking forward to this tournament. Can't believe we are instead being offered up a dog-turd mix of E-squads by the greed and stupidity of the NHL and IOC.

May all involved be struck down by the fury of the hockey Gods.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I absolutely love best-on-best hockey and was so looking forward to this tournament. Can't believe we are instead being offered up a dog-turd mix of E-squads by the greed and stupidity of the NHL and IOC.

May all involved be struck down by the fury of the hockey Gods.

Only innocent party to me is the iihf. They made a real effort but the NHL and IOC told all hockey fans to go ****. themselves

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I will watch this tournament regardless. Hoping to see a new winner. Getting tired of seeing Canada win :)

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
I will watch this tournament regardless. Hoping to see a new winner. Getting tired of seeing Canada win :)

Not the first time you and I have agreed :)

Of course it sucks that the NHLers won't be there, but it should still be great hockey and a lot of fun to watch. And boy, there's more pressure to win here than in Sochi for Russia I would think, haha. At least as far as they really SHOULD win this.

Finland beating them again would be great :yo:

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Only innocent party to me is the iihf. They made a real effort but the NHL and IOC told all hockey fans to go ****. themselves

I can agree. The thing that was most confusing was where the IIHF said they had the money to cover the NHL players being there, and the NHL said no you're not taking money away from development programs around the world for this.

I guess good on the NHL if true, but seems like it could be a way to make the NHL look charitable.

I hope eventually someone with all the inside information writes a book on these negotiations

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yes, much to my shock the IIHF came out of this looking better than any other body. I don't blame the NHLPA either as they were at least willing to go along with the status quo from 2014. Very surprising as for most of my hockey fandom I have disliked the IIHF and the NHLPA.

I can agree. The thing that was most confusing was where the IIHF said they had the money to cover the NHL players being there, and the NHL said no you're not taking money away from development programs around the world for this.

I guess good on the NHL if true, but seems like it could be a way to make the NHL look charitable.

I hope eventually someone with all the inside information writes a book on these negotiations

The NHL owners just didn't want to go. They have been complaining about Olympic participation for over a decade. The IOC's stance on insurance was a great excuse to pull out and shift the blame to someone else, and of course it also further angered the owners. The IIHF's claim that it could cover the cost somewhat invalidated that excuse, unless someone really believes that the NHL cares about how the IIHF spends its money, but the owners still didn't want to go.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

I think that's just a convenient excuse

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Oh I know it was all nonsense and the owners just didn't want to go. I just thought it was interesting where they tried to find ways to heap the blame on everyone else (IOC, PA, IIHF)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Oh I know it was all nonsense and the owners just didn't want to go. I just thought it was interesting where they tried to find ways to heap the blame on everyone else (IOC, PA, IIHF)

Yeah that gave me even less respect for them. I understand their complaints about the IOC but the PA and IIHF..... GTFO

Although I do really wish the PA would have extended the Collective bargaining agreement. Now we probably get no Olympics. No World Cup return and a lockout soon

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The NHL owners just didn't want to go. They have been complaining about Olympic participation for over a decade. The IOC's stance on insurance was a great excuse to pull out and shift the blame to someone else, and of course it also further angered the owners. The IIHF's claim that it could cover the cost somewhat invalidated that excuse, unless someone really believes that the NHL cares about how the IIHF spends its money, but the owners still didn't want to go.
This. The NHL just did not see the benefits to going the last 5 times they expected.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Great news! I can go to some games on the weekend.

Saturday, Feb. 17 in Gangneung (a great seaside town with a long beach just about 3 hours from where I teach English): Canada vs. Czech Republic and Korea vs. Switzerland (the home team's best odds for a scoreless draw).

The next day, Sunday, at the same place, Canada takes on the home team (I'll watch it to talk with the locals and my students about it - sure hope it's not a huge blowout, though most Koreans wouldn't know there's much difference between a 2-0 loss and a 7-1 loss. Hockey is such a non-sport here. Popular are local leagues in soccer, basketball and of course baseball - they won the last Olympic gold in baseball as well as MLB and European Premier League soccer).

The sweetest thing? In the same town, the following Saturday is the Bronze medal game and the Sunday will be the Gold-medal game. Heck, I don't even have to ask for any days off!:vhappy:

Here's why I go to Gangneung in the summer:

gyeongpo-beach-1.jpg

Reactions: jasonr90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad