OT: Olympic ice

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
With the size of today' players I really appreciate the big ice. They should design Belmont in such a way that it has the ability to put down the bigger rink. It would be great to get some international tournaments in. They could have games in Belmont and Lake Placid.

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
Finland has their ice rink which is a size between NHL ice and Olympic ice which would be perfect for the NHL today.

Reactions: SLAPSHOT723

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Since the title says Olympics.

Jessie Diggins Olympic Gold . Unbelievable . Everyone should see that Gold Medal race.

SMG

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
With the size of today' players I really appreciate the big ice. They should design Belmont in such a way that it has the ability to put down the bigger rink. It would be great to get some international tournaments in. They could have games in Belmont and Lake Placid.

I really don't enjoy the international sized rinks. Watching the Olympics demonstrates how boring and passive the game gets at times. Also, I don't know how much bigger the players are getting now since there seems to be a decrease with the emphasis on size and we're seeing smaller/faster players.

Finland has their ice rink which is a size between NHL ice and Olympic ice which would be perfect for the NHL today.

If they were to expand the size of the rink, that's what I think would work best.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I love the big ice! There is a lot more action and the game is wide open. It will never happen in the NHL because they are not going to take away the seats required to make it happen but the bigger ice definitely creates a better game.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Oh and while were at it, how about that women's Gold Medal game? Wow, was that a thriller or what! The game was on during lunch time here in Hong Kong and I got to watch it with a bunch of Canadians. The skill level has come a long way in the women's game and that was just a pleasure to watch. USA USA USA USA!!

Reactions: Bood12 and beach

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Oh and while were at it, how about that women's Gold Medal game? Wow, was that a thriller or what! The game was on during lunch time here in Hong Kong and I got to watch it with a bunch of Canadians. The skill level has come a long way in the women's game and that was just a pleasure to watch. USA USA USA USA!!
I noticed the increase in skill level as well. Great job ladies!!

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Olympic ice is too wide. Players get pushed to the outside and nothing happens. The Sochi games were terrible.

I've wondered how the ice would work at 90' x 210'. Just a little wider but not too wide. The added 10 feet of length would go in the neutral zone. Teams try to clog it up. Teams that get through with speed, get better offensive chances in general. So putting another 10 feet there gives more room and harder to clog it up.

May not work. And there's probably not an arena on the planet where they could try it. But I'd be interested in seeing if it did anything.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Olympic ice is too wide. Players get pushed to the outside and nothing happens. The Sochi games were terrible.

I've wondered how the ice would work at 90' x 210'. Just a little wider but not too wide. The added 10 feet of length would go in the neutral zone. Teams try to clog it up. Teams that get through with speed, get better offensive chances in general. So putting another 10 feet there gives more room and harder to clog it up.

May not work. And there's probably not an arena on the planet where they could try it. But I'd be interested in seeing if it did anything.
I think it opens up the passing game and puts the emphasis on skating. Can't be done in the States or Canada so it's academic but it's interesting to watch the game on the larger sheet.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
When you have very skilled players the large sheet is great. 2002 US-CAN is a prime example. The USSR had some epic games against Czechoslovakia in the Olympics and World Championships - both squads were LOADED.

But when you have lesser skilled teams, yes it can be "boring." It's easier to push the play into the dead areas and play defensive keep-away. In my opinion, the larger ice enhances an already entertaining game but can make a boring one even worse.

Regarding Belmont, not sure why they would want/need to have the capability of a large sheet. Unless NY is planning on hosting the Winter Olympics again? A few years ago there was a talk of a joint Montreal/Adirondack/NYC bid. But one-off type international tournaments can be played on NHL size rinks.

I just hope they put steel piping, have a centered scoreboard, sight-lines where you can see both nets and good cupholders. :)

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
When you have very skilled players the large sheet is great. 2002 US-CAN is a prime example. The USSR had some epic games against Czechoslovakia in the Olympics and World Championships - both squads were LOADED.

But when you have lesser skilled teams, yes it can be "boring." It's easier to push the play into the dead areas and play defensive keep-away. In my opinion, the larger ice enhances an already entertaining game but can make a boring one even worse.

Regarding Belmont, not sure why they would want/need to have the capability of a large sheet. Unless NY is planning on hosting the Winter Olympics again? A few years ago there was a talk of a joint Montreal/Adirondack/NYC bid. But one-off type international tournaments can be played on NHL size rinks.

I just hope they put steel piping, have a centered scoreboard, sight-lines where you can see both nets and good cupholders. :)

I just think it could be fun to have some international tournaments. NHL vs KHL or Country vs Country. They could play a best of series with some games on the big ice at Belmont and some games on NHL ice at the Garden.

I realize that the ROI is not going to be there really just a fun thought while watching the Olympics.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I noticed the increase in skill level as well. Great job ladies!!
It's a shame they still can't shoot from the point. It makes the power plays or what would be great scoring chances for the men more routine and boring. Sick shootout move though.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
My favorite moment of the Olympics so far.

A snowboarder who barely qualified for the skiing Super-G (which is in itself an accomplishment) and proceeds top win gold by 0.01 seconds. On BORROWED skis! Not only that but is the 26th racer out of the gate. Virtually impossible to win a race with a bib number that high. Her reaction is fantastic. She is in complete disbelief.

Reactions: ndgolden

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
My favorite moment of the Olympics so far.

A snowboarder who barely qualified for the skiing Super-G (which is in itself an accomplishment) and proceeds top win gold by 0.01 seconds. On BORROWED skis! Not only that but is the 26th racer out of the gate. Virtually impossible to win a race with a bib number that high. Her reaction is fantastic. She is in complete disbelief.

I think there was a guy from Norway who fell in the x country..was dead last...and won it all. Pretty phenomenal!

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
It'll never happen, but I'd love to see the NHL allow teams to have anything between NHL sized rinks to Olympic sized rinks.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
It'll never happen, but I'd love to see the NHL allow teams to have anything between NHL sized rinks to Olympic sized rinks.

Great , Barclays will lose the other 1/2 of the NHL seats .
Just be a bunch of Honda seating in the lower bowl . They can put out 1 of each model

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad