OLN/Versus adds the NLL

X0ssbar

Butch 19 said:
hmm, are the any other professional leagues that play on Monday nights?

Think that will affect ratings at all?

Are you being sarcastic? ...just in case your not I'll state the obvious - Monday Night Football.

And am I the only one here that thinks "take your NLL posts to a LF board somewhere - who cares already?" I didn't even know what NLL was, and I wish I still didn't know.

Yes. I think you are the only one.

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
I'm very excited by this (now that OLN/VS is now on basic cable on Adelphia in Buffalo).

Hopefully they'll show a couple Bandits road games (I'm a season ticket holder, and attended 14 of the Bandits 19 games: 8 home, 3 road + 3 home playoff games incl. NLL Championship Game :( ).

Lots of potential for cross promotion. Next year's teams:

EAST
Buffalo
Chicago
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Rochester
Toronto

WEST
Arizona
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Portland
San Jose

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
rwilson99 said:
That's the brilliance...

7:00 - 9:15 Watch NHL

9:15 - Catch the last half of the 1st Qtr of the NFL.

What else is there to watch... an hour MNF pre game show and day old NFL highlights.

With the MNF opening, the commercials, the lead-up/analysis, more commercials; you might miss 2 minutes of the actual game by 9:15. And depending on the teams playing, that could be a generous assumption.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
eSabre said:
I'm very excited by this (now that OLN/VS is now on basic cable on Adelphia in Buffalo).

Hopefully they'll show a couple Bandits road games (I'm a season ticket holder, and attended 14 of the Bandits 19 games: 8 home, 3 road + 3 home playoff games incl. NLL Championship Game :( ).

Lots of potential for cross promotion. Next year's teams:

EAST
Buffalo
Chicago
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Rochester
Toronto

WEST
Arizona
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Portland
San Jose

There is a team in Chicago now?

chiavsfan

go kim johnsson 514 said:
There is a team in Chicago now?

There is an outdoor team that I know of the Chicago "Machine" but I didn't hear anything about them playing in the indoor league

Edit: Pardon me...the Machine is the outdoor team, but there is INDEED a new indoor team here in Chicago. The Chicago Shamrox will play in the new Sears Center in Hoffman Estates, outside of Chicago.

The Sears Center is also supposed to be home to the new UHL Franchise, the Chicago Hounds

Chicago Shamrox
Chicago Hounds (UHL)

Last edited:

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm really getting excited about what they're doing over at Versus. Seems like they're going out and getting all the exciting sports for their network while ESPN can keep their snoozer sports, baseball, basketball, golf and spelling bees. Gimme a break.

All ESPN has going for them is endless football coverage and Monday Night Football. All the good NFL games will be on Sunday night this year.

So yeah, I can see a lot of people flipping over to check out what's on Versus.

If Versus could lock in the Action Sports (snowboarding, in-line, skateboarding, motocross, etc) then that'd be huge for drawing in a younger demographic and building a strong viewer-base. JMO.

HughJass*

Butch 19 said:
I can't disagree with you at all. But remember ESPN does not have an agreement to broadcast hockey, so any hockey news you get will be minimal at best.

That's no excuse. You an ESPN enabler?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Storminator16 said:
That's no excuse. You an ESPN enabler?

No (funny though), I just want to see hockey highlights.

I have to commend ESPN a bit just for keeping Barry Melrose and Steve Levy around to talk hockey. With a competing network broadcasting the NHL, ESPN really doesn't have to talk hockey at all.

But next season, if OLN becomes a basic cable channel (which is rumored, but I can't count on it with my crappy Adelphia service), I will really have no reason to watch ESPN again.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
Butch 19 said:
But next season, if OLN becomes a basic cable channel (which is rumored, but I can't count on it with my crappy Adelphia service), I will really have no reason to watch ESPN again.

It's a basic cable channel down in Raleigh, and it looks like we are one of the few that have OLN on basic cable. So, I think OLN/Versus will thrive on niche sports such as MLS, NHL, NLL, AFL, Bike Riding, and Bullriding. I don't think you need NFL to thrive, build your own audience made up of underserved customers. Here, each one of these sports can be major contributors to OLN instead of minor or non-existent parts of ESPN.

Last edited:

Olaf Fub

Aug 23, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Per stevedude's link-

"The NLL, which recently completed its 20th season of play, has twelve teams in major markets across North America. The league has expanded to Chicago for the 2007 season, and an announcement regarding a New York franchise for 2007 is expected soon."

This is good news. I'm excited, OLN is a perfect fit for the league.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Stevedude530 said:
Again, MLS is locked up with ESPN till at least 2010.

do you know how long UEFA is locked up for?

They wouldn't switch to ESPN at this point anyways

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
adding the NLL is a good choice.. one of the better spectator sports..

Oh and fyi... "indoor" is called box lacrosse and "outdoor" is field lacrosse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->