OLN Still in the Hunt For Baseball

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/networktv/article_display.jsp?vnu_cESPN,

Turner's TBS, Fox's FX and Comcast's OLN are all interested in getting the TV rights to the remaining Major League Baseball American and National League Championship series games that are up for grabs beginning next season and running through the 2013 season.
At least three of those cable networks want just the Championship series games; the MLB, however, is looking to package those games with regular season games and even a new nightly baseball news/results show which MLB could co-produce with a network.

In the latter scenario, OLN might be the network to get the entire package, though it would be a pricey one and maybe too rich for its blood.

With ESPN, Turner and Fox already signed to new deals with lots of baseball rights, that would seem to leave Comcast’s OLN as the target for this all-encompassing baseball package. Right now the holdup could be price.

Brosnan would not comment on why OLN did not pony up enough to get the entire Divisional Championship Series package, which went to Turner, but he did say that OLN is a viable option for a baseball rights package, particularly now that parent Comcast having gotten approval to acquire rival cable operator Adelphia. That would put Comcast/OLN in some 30 million cable homes. “OLN is a legitimate outlet for baseball,†Brosnan said.

“We consider it a viable outlet for our programming. The Comcast folks are very smart people.†An OLN spokesperson said the network would have no comment.

NJDEVILS17*

i hope oln gets baseball so that my crappy cable service will give us oln instead of me having to pay an extra $15 a month for it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
yep they are going to have to overpay.....

Comcast please step up to the plate, one more step to getting their VS legit.

In these type of situations, you need to spend money before you make it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad