OLN: Believing in Hockey

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As JD said, Thanks to OLN for believing in hockey. They were better and worse than ESPN in many things, but most of all they obviously showed that they cared more than ESPN ever did and the result has been much better than worse. The product improved drastically over the season, and I am quite excited to see what OLN/VS has in store for 2006-07, not only for hockey what what they will do to build around a sport that is seemingly dead in the water.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:
As JD said, Thanks to OLN for believing in hockey. They were better and worse than ESPN in many things, but most of all they obviously showed that they cared more than ESPN ever did and the result has been much better than worse. The product improved drastically over the season, and I am quite excited to see what OLN/VS has in store for 2006-07, not only for hockey what what they will do to build around a sport that is seemingly dead in the water.

I also enjoy seeing the coaches' press conferences after games. That adds a certain element that isn't always shown to the fans.

Hockeyfan6781

Mar 2, 2003
Hamburg, NY
agreed, it started off on the weak side but only got better.. I really liked the idea of bringing in players for analysis similar to how the NFL network does it, thought it was a nice touch.Just hope they steer clear of Barry Melrose

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
OLN/VS should have a different look next year. Smith is taking the Isles job and it looks like Davidson is taking the Blues job. I would expect to see Versus make a push for McGuire to be on VS full time (along with doing NBC).

NYYmt62

Aug 26, 2005
Islander Country
OLN did a very good job with what they had this year. You have to hand it to them for putting together a decent product with very little time. I think we will see much better stuff from them next year, and maybe even a little more viewership, but that may be wishful thinking.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
hockeyfan6781 said:
Just hope they steer clear of Barry Melrose

Actually, as much as people don't like him, they should get Barry Melrose. He is still a recognizable enough face and stupid or not people want to see what he has to say. Wouldn't be a bad move to pick him up if ESPN lets him go.

What they shold really get is someone to be the in-studio host so that they don't have to have an analyst do it.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I think Bill's done quite fine, he deserves at least a 2nd year.

Smith and JD gone, they should hire some west coast guys, like Pang or Daryl Reaugh.

X0ssbar

Well said.

Ratings or no ratings (which were crap before OLN entered the picture anyways) - it was a fantastic effort for a network televising a top team sports league for the first time :clap:

I can't wait to see what Versus has instore for the league next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Actually, as much as people don't like him, they should get Barry Melrose. He is still a recognizable enough face and stupid or not people want to see what he has to say. Wouldn't be a bad move to pick him up if ESPN lets him go.
Yes, agreed. And I always thought Barry was a decent analyst. Although he has been a shell of himself the past two seasons over at ESPN, I can only think it is because there isn't much for him there anymore and that he's "lost his shirt" with the UHL team he's owned the past two seasons.

Change of scenery - just like Thornton.

By the way where is JD going? Will Emrick still be around? I have also begun to warm up to Benenati(sp) during the post season as well. Never cared for who he gets paired up with though.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I wisb OLN would get both Buccigross as the main studio host and pick up Melrose too- they really work great off against each other. Panger is with the Coyotes and seems to like it in Phoenix. As far as JD it appears he will be joining the Blues as president possibly.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
Well said.

Ratings or no ratings (which were crap before OLN entered the picture anyways) - it was a fantastic effort for a network televising a top team sports league for the first time :clap:

I can't wait to see what Versus has instore for the league next year.

great point, its not like the leauge was on the upswing on ESPN in viewership, rather it was a disturburing downward trend from the mid 90s. Plus we have to sit through their channel treating the game like garbage and second class. Perhaps the NHL will allways be this nitche sport, at least I can find a place to watch all the time and not have to hear is sucks or have to sit through NBA highlights between periods.

Face it the average citizen of the USA is a knob in taste, if the TV ratings are like 100-1 going to a national Karaoke contest rather than a exciting SCF game, thats the hill you have to climb already..........

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
puck57 said:
I wisb OLN would get both Buccigross as the main studio host and pick up Melrose too- they really work great off against each other. Panger is with the Coyotes and seems to like it in Phoenix. As far as JD it appears he will be joining the Blues as president possibly.
I thought JD was going to turn down the STL job.

Oh Well JD = Matt Millen (drawing an inference with no knowledge of JDs abilities what-so-ever) Maybe he'll surprise us all and draft goalies in the 1st round in three straight drafts.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Get Bob MacKenzie and Pierre McGuire in your studio on Monday nights.

Tuesday night my local team will probly be on so i won't watch, but if you're going to do "Monday Night Hockey" then get the best. Doc, JD, then Bill, Bob and Pierre in the studio.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
Here is something I have though about a few times this year. Many Tuesday nights when TSN would pick up an extra game they would just use the OLN feed and then have their own between the period stuff with James Duthie and the rest of the TSN crew. Why not if both networks are doing the game, just combine the talent of the two networks for nights like that???

weezman

I would like to say bravo to OLN too. It was a shaky start but it improved a lot towards the end.

Also, you may want to let OLN know all of this. The more voices they hear, the better I imagine. Let them know what you have to say.

[email protected]

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
Camshaft77 said:
Here is something I have though about a few times this year. Many Tuesday nights when TSN would pick up an extra game they would just use the OLN feed and then have their own between the period stuff with James Duthie and the rest of the TSN crew. Why not if both networks are doing the game, just combine the talent of the two networks for nights like that???

Good idea, but I think the TSN guys do have other obligations and they're in Toronto whereas the OLN studio is in, I want to say, New York. It would be hard to do the travelling. Now if they did something like a hotstove, that would be awesome.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Did you see the "Thank You Fans" commercial. That was a nice commercial.

OLN did so many better commercial than the NHL did for themselves this season.

Thank you OLN.

You can watch it now on "The Player" on OLNtv.com.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad