Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Is that because the expectations were substantially lower in the first place?

i don't know, i would say no trend. bogosian(2) and schenn(5) busted against expectation after debuting in d+1 and gudbranson(3) and murray(2) busted against expectations after debuting d+2. for d+3 i would say cowan (9) is the only one, and, although he did have lower expectations, he busted most spectacularly against them. maybe we need to dig into it and look at partial busts.

edit: another issue is it seems the forum software is not quoting the table properly. in the original version of the chart (which is still there) trouba and sergachev are listed on the chart as d+2 players thus creating a linear decreasing fail rate of 25% d+1, 20% d+2, 14% d+3. i don't know why my quoted chart reads differently showing them d+1 but it looks like it might be a left justify format issue in the table when quoted.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I had Trouba/Sergachev as D+1 players by accident, so I had to edit them to be D+2 players later on.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Expecting a lot more from him in the playoffs, not just pts but overall play.
The guy always shows up when it’s crucial.

Edit: Guess what, he just scored the first goal
This is intriguing Billy he does seem to do this. Keeping some optimism for him that is not hope but based on facts and reality :nod:

Keep it up Juol score a nother please

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
You do know overall he had a good year right?

I think that gets lost on some people.
Ive read you post that. Yes. Thats not a overall concenus tho esp compared to where hes suppose to be as #5 overall guy

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Every time I watch Liiga I’m struck by how bad the hockey and goaltending is.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Every time I watch Liiga I’m struck by how bad the hockey and goaltending is.
Yep. Backwoods league of Europe and Juolevi still struggles to crack the lineup all the time and acceed when hes in

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yep. Backwoods league of Europe and Juolevi still struggles to crack the lineup all the time and acceed when hes in
Im sorry but this is way too far from the truth. He got healthy scratched twice otherwise he’s usually in the top 4, ppl make it sounds like he’s a 7th D all season long.
Likes it or not he’s still our 4th best prospect after Pettersson, Demko and Gaudette

Last edited:

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Im sorry but this is way too far from the truth. He got healthy scratched twice otherwise he’s usually in the top 4, ppl make it sounds like he’s a 7th D all season long.
Likes it or not he’s still our 4th best prospect after Pettersson, Demko and Gaudette
Id still have Lind Gad Dipi Briesbois and Lockwood ahead of him too

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Id still have Lind Gad Dipi Briesbois and Lockwood ahead of him too

The+_ba7205939ea5d643128b80f136ce216c.gif

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
As underwhelming as he can be during regular season play, Juolevi does have a really important ability to dial up his play when it matters most. I find that quite encouraging.

His character and fitness issues are a bit alarming, but we’re talking about a teenager. I loved the tough love Salo has shown. He layed the issues out as plain as day. I’m sure OJ lost a night or two of sleep thinking about the comments about him. Let’s see how he continues to respond!

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
His offensive ability is going to decide whether or not he can be an NHLer next year, I don't think he'll be ready defensively. Which would be fine. As long as he can do something on our PP it doesn't matter if he's -20 on the year to me; next season is another lost year without meaning.

He needs to get his speed back and work on his explosiveness and adding lean muscle. f*** bulking up, what good did adding 10-15 lbs do him last summer. f***ing Jalen Chatfield handily outplayed him at camp.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
His offensive ability is going to decide whether or not he can be an NHLer next year, I don't think he'll be ready defensively. Which would be fine. As long as he can do something on our PP it doesn't matter if he's -20 on the year to me; next season is another lost year without meaning.

He needs to get his speed back and work on his explosiveness and adding lean muscle. **** bulking up, what good did adding 10-15 lbs do him last summer. ****ing Jalen Chatfield handily outplayed him at camp.

don't forget chatfield is two years older.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
>Liiga is a "backwoods league"
>random B prospects are better than Olli Juolevi

My god, these hot takes.

You do know overall he had a good year right?

I think that gets lost on some people.

I disagree that juolevi had a "good" year overall in the liiga. First off, the level of play in the liiga is extremely low.

Henrik Tallinder, at age 39, 4 years removed from his last NHL season where he was a bottom pairing defencemen for the 52 pt buffalo sabres is averaging 21:32 of icetime per game for TPS, 2nd most on the team.

Juolevi averaged the 4th most icetime (17:51) amongst defencemen in his own team.

Middling second pairing guys in the Liiga don't go on to be NHLers. For a 5th overall pick, the expectations should be that he's a dominant force controlling play at both ends of the ice. A guy like Heiskanen is having a season worthy of a top 5 overall draft pick. Juolevi's play is so far below Heiskanen despite being 1 year older.

People vastly underestimate the level of play between the NHL and other inferior leagues. A guy like Philip Larsen had a much better season in the KHL (a better league than the Liiga) before he came over to the NHL and was a plug.

Philip Holm was averaging the 4th most icetime for Vaxjo in the SHL (a better league than the Liiga) and was the highest scoring defencemen on his team and yet couldn't crack the NHL roster of the canucks with one of the worst group of defencemen in the league.

Unless juolevi somehow has a major breakthrough in his developement, he is not on track to make the NHL next year and that should be highly concerning.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
19 year old prospect making mistakes and still developing, shocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->