Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Just watched the TPS-Pelicans game. Juolevi played in the second pair with Elmeri Eronen, the 22yo who has benefited immensely playing with Tallinder the last few years. Olli had a pretty lackluster 1st period with two mishaps I saw, but in the second the pair's game stabilized and he contributed directly to the 4-1 goal in the last. A few really nice outlet passes here and there and a few important checks off Pelicans rushes. Not a shining performance but good enough for a first game.

Palmu was his usual self - checking a lot and efficiently and being one of the fastest guys in the rink, pretty much my favorite player next to veteran superman Tomi Kallio. I saw him play live a few games back and even if he didn't score then (0+1 tho) you could never miss him out there. His 3-1 goal was a beauty 2-on-1 play with Ekeståhl-Johnsson. Another one of my favorite TPS players, Rags pick Patrik Virta, however, was horrible today and botched two great chances. Oh well, a win's a win, and both Palmu and Juolevi did well.

TPS has its depth pretty decimated right now with their top 2 centermen injured (Ilari "Waltteri's bro" Filppula and Eric Perrin) so don't be surprised if they slow down at some point in the next few games. To be frank I'm surprised they are getting the wins right now. Their top PK line is the best in the league and was perfect today again, that's been huge.

Last edited:

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Eric Perrin is in his 40s and a superstar in the SM-Liiga! The things you learn in prospect threads... :biglaugh:
12th in scoring in spite of already missing three games due to injury. Not bad for an oldtimer, of which there isn't a lack in TPS - Henrik Tallinder, Tomi Kallio, Perrin, Filppula, Ilkka Pikkarainen, all over 35 and key players. Then there's Tarmo Reunanen (-98), Juolevi (-98), Patrik Virta (-96), Palmu, (-97), Markus Nurmi (-98), Lauri Pajuniemi (to be drafted) .. it's funny how the team pretty much has veterans nearing retirement and a bunch of kids playing together. And the team's leading the league right now.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Just watched the TPS-Pelicans game. Juolevi played in the second pair with Elmeri Eronen, the 22yo who has benefited immensely playing with Tallinder the last few years. Olli had a pretty lackluster 1st period with two mishaps I saw, but in the second the pair's game stabilized and he contributed directly to the 4-1 goal in the last. A few really nice outlet passes here and there and a few important checks off Pelicans rushes. Not a shining performance but good enough for a first game.

Palmu was his usual self - checking a lot and efficiently and being one of the fastest guys in the rink, pretty much my favorite player next to veteran superman Tomi Kallio. I saw him play live a few games back and even if he didn't score then (0+1 tho) you could never miss him out there. His 3-1 goal was a beauty 2-on-1 play with Ekeståhl-Johnsson. Another one of my favorite TPS players, Rags pick Patrik Virta, however, was horrible today and botched two great chances. Oh well, a win's a win, and both Palmu and Juolevi did well.

TPS has its depth pretty decimated right now with their top 2 centermen injured (Ilari "Waltteri's bro" Filppula and Eric Perrin) so don't be surprised if they slow down at some point in the next few games. To be frank I'm surprised they are getting the wins right now. Their top PK line is the best in the league and was perfect today again, that's been huge.

Thanks for posting this really gives us a idea of how bad of a pick he was and how we hope Palmu can be our new hidden gem

Reactions: Nucker101

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Thanks for posting this really gives us a idea of how bad of a pick he was and how we hope Palmu can be our new hidden gem

Well, it's his first season on European ice after two OHL seasons, enters into successful team gelling well and shuffles the D pairings and gets a new pair, just having gone through the training camp seasons, first game in.. He was lackluster in the 1st period, better in the 2nd, better in the 3rd.. I'd give him a few more games before assuming anything.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Another TPS game tonight, against HIFK (Miro Heiskanen is playing). Juolevi plays with Eronen again in the second pair. We're also another center short, since PK monster Väyrynen is down and out. I'm slightly scared.

Sami Salo was interviewed before the game and was asked questions about Olli, here are some quotes I managed to catch:

On Olli's playing in the Liiga: "He has played two years in the Canadian junior league but since the next step is to get to the NHL, he needs to play against men. Since Liiga's playing style is almost similar to the American style - physical and aggressive - it's a good step for a young player to come here to achieve that goal."

On whether Vancouver needed assuring to send Olli to Turku: "Of course they needed some of that. They naturally have concerns on any young player's icetime. But I've spoken (to Vancouver brass) and told them Olli or anyone else shouldn't be guaranteed 1st line minutes. The best way to learn is for the player to earn those minutes and be successful. We're surely gonna stay in touch this autumn and winter."

Overall description of Olli as a player: "Great skater who doesn't break under pressure and is able to win games. The computer in his head is working all the time and once he gets himself into the game ( = accustomed to it) he's a new weapon in TPS' arsenal. His development goals are in his defensive game, improving reactions to loose pucks, getting more physical. Regardless he's already a great player for us."

Edit: Stormy start, TPS down 1-2 after Period #1. Great PP snipe by Patrik Virta.

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
One good thing about playing on the big ice is it'll get Olli moving his feet more, I think that alone will be healthy for him.

Reactions: turkulad

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Another TPS game tonight, against HIFK (Miro Heiskanen is playing). Juolevi plays with Eronen again in the second pair. We're also another center short, since PK monster Väyrynen is down and out. I'm slightly scared.

Sami Salo was interviewed before the game and was asked questions about Olli, here are some quotes I managed to catch:

On Olli's playing in the Liiga: "He has played two years in the Canadian junior league but since the next step is to get to the NHL, he needs to play against men. Since Liiga's playing style is almost similar to the American style - physical and aggressive - it's a good step for a young player to come here to achieve that goal."

On whether Vancouver needed assuring to send Olli to Turku: "Of course they needed some of that. They naturally have concerns on any young player's icetime. But I've spoken (to Vancouver brass) and told them Olli or anyone else shouldn't be guaranteed 1st line minutes. The best way to learn is for the player to earn those minutes and be successful. We're surely gonna stay in touch this autumn and winter."

Overall description of Olli as a player: "Great skater who doesn't break under pressure and is able to win games. The computer in his head is working all the time and once he gets himself into the game ( = accustomed to it) he's a new weapon in TPS' arsenal. His development goals are in his defensive game, improving reactions to loose pucks, getting more physical. Regardless he's already a great player for us."

Edit: Stormy start, TPS down 1-2 after Period #1. Great PP snipe by Patrik Virta.

awesome, thank you. first time i've heard salo state an opinion on the guy. the fact he gave some clear praise to juolevi is encouraging. i also think the development plan sounds right.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
What a depressive game. 10 minutes to go and HIFK leading 4-1. TPS getting zero points for the first time this season. TPS lost Palmu's linemate Nyström to injury after the first so they've had to promote pylons to scoring lines and Tarmo Reunanen is playing forward in the 4th line. Palmu has been good as usual but his supporting cast just isn't there so no finish. Atte Engren on HIFK's goal has been stellar. Juolevi hasn't looked out of place either. But the depth just isn't there. A pity.

Final score 5-2 for the bad guys. Ilkka Pikkarainen scored the second TPS goal with an incredible slapper and then slashed an HIFK player behind the knee in an outside play to get ejected. Classy.

Last edited:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
1 game watching him live and paying extra attention to him... well, he was okay. Heiskanen on the other hand looked amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Can't say I'm terribly impressed with Juolevi so far, after watching two games from him. It does look like he needs a lot of work if he wants to play in the NHL. He hasn't really made an impact on the ice, which is something most elite prospects are expected to do in Liiga level.

It kind of feels like he's just going through the motions, but the spark is missing, something that would make him stand out on the ice. His skating doesn't stand out as any better than a regular Liiga player, defense is kind of shaky at times, he doesn't play physical or aggressive, and he doesn't really carry the puck like a talented offensive defenseman would.

His current performance is ok for a regular 19-year old, but nothing in his play really suggests elite potential, at least so far. Usually elite talents are quite easy to spot in Liiga because the average Liiga player is a grinder type "career AHL:er", but I just don't get that "wow"-feeling from Juolevi so far.

Let's hope this is just part of getting familiar with the league etc. There's still plenty of time, but he needs to start doing things instead of just making the basic easy plays.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
One good thing about playing on the big ice is it'll get Olli moving his feet more, I think that alone will be healthy for him.

Eh...there's a bit more ice to cover, but i don't think bigger ice really does much for the sort of pace/moving his feet issues that Juolevi has. With smaller ice, things develop a lot more quickly and there's less cushion, less reaction time, less "free ice". It forces quicker play and more urgency. I hope that the Pro competition level helps him work on and improve that, but i don't think the bigger ice itself is beneficial in that regard at all really.

Can't say I'm terribly impressed with Juolevi so far, after watching two games from him. It does look like he needs a lot of work if he wants to play in the NHL. He hasn't really made an impact on the ice, which is something most elite prospects are expected to do in Liiga level.

It kind of feels like he's just going through the motions, but the spark is missing, something that would make him stand out on the ice. His skating doesn't stand out as any better than a regular Liiga player, defense is kind of shaky at times, he doesn't play physical or aggressive, and he doesn't really carry the puck like a talented offensive defenseman would.

His current performance is ok for a regular 19-year old, but nothing in his play really suggests elite potential, at least so far. Usually elite talents are quite easy to spot in Liiga because the average Liiga player is a grinder type "career AHL:er", but I just don't get that "wow"-feeling from Juolevi so far.

Let's hope this is just part of getting familiar with the league etc. There's still plenty of time, but he needs to start doing things instead of just making the basic easy plays.

Part of it is probably just adjusting to a totally new league and totally different level/type of competition. But part of that is just what Juolevi is as a player. The whole strength of his game is built around that "always makes the easy play" sort of hockey IQ and "poise". Even at his best, he's never been a guy who is going to play a flashy game or make things super exciting by himself. Even at his best, he just makes the game "easy" and moves the puck extremely efficiently up the ice.

It's like expecting Dan Hamhuis or Chris Tanev to really "stand out". Not gonna happen.

Hopefully he continues to develop a bit more of a dynamic quality to his game and learns that he's going to need to step outside his comfort zone at times to succeed in the NHL...but he's not really an "offensive defenceman" and he's not a flashy exciting player.

Reactions: Make

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dan Hamhuis was actually a pretty exciting Dman to watch when he first broke into the league.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Eh...there's a bit more ice to cover, but i don't think bigger ice really does much for the sort of pace/moving his feet issues that Juolevi has. With smaller ice, things develop a lot more quickly and there's less cushion, less reaction time, less "free ice". It forces quicker play and more urgency. I hope that the Pro competition level helps him work on and improve that, but i don't think the bigger ice itself is beneficial in that regard at all really.

Part of it is probably just adjusting to a totally new league and totally different level/type of competition. But part of that is just what Juolevi is as a player. The whole strength of his game is built around that "always makes the easy play" sort of hockey IQ and "poise". Even at his best, he's never been a guy who is going to play a flashy game or make things super exciting by himself. Even at his best, he just makes the game "easy" and moves the puck extremely efficiently up the ice.

It's like expecting Dan Hamhuis or Chris Tanev to really "stand out". Not gonna happen.

Hopefully he continues to develop a bit more of a dynamic quality to his game and learns that he's going to need to step outside his comfort zone at times to succeed in the NHL...but he's not really an "offensive defenceman" and he's not a flashy exciting player.

In what universe, or on what drugs, do Chris Tanev and (presumably when he was in his prime) Dan Hamhuis not stand out?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'm going to give this kid all the time he needs, but it's hard watching a guy like Sergachev walk into the league and be a difference maker.

Reactions: AlexEdler23

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'm going to give this kid all the time he needs, but it's hard watching a guy like Sergachev walk into the league and be a difference maker.

He could still turn out to be a fine dman, but the more ordinary he looks for longer in lower leagues, the less chance that he is an impact player. That is what we should expect with a top 5 pick.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver

T'was what i've been saying for two years now.

Thanks for yours and @turkulad's recaps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad