Waived: Olkinuora on waivers for contract termination

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think it's a good thing for both parties. He was struggling, was surpassed by Ned and Brattstrom. Plus, he doesn't seem to have a future in GR (with Cossa most likely playing there next year).

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Not sure how the minimum guarantee's work if the contract is terminated (IIRC, if a player with an AHL minimum doesn't meet that minimum with NHL call ups, they get the difference in a big check at the end of the season), but Olkinuora is walking away from around $200k for the rest of the year. I'm guessing he either found a better paying gig overseas, or he knew he wasn't going to be playing much and wanted to go somewhere where he could play the rest of the year so as to not affect his value for next season.

Husso
Hellberg
-------
Ned
Bratsström
----
Cossa
Lethemon

Odd man out, since Hellberg arrived.

This might be a good indicator that the Wings plan on keeping Ned in GR for the rest of the season.

I think it's a good thing for both parties. He was struggling, was surpassed by Ned and Brattstrom. Plus, he doesn't seem to have a future in GR (with Cossa most likely playing there next year).

Being signed at 31YO, Olkinuora probably didn't have much future with the organization outside of this season unless he pulled some kind of Tim Thomas. I would think they bet high hoping he'd be a solid vet in GR in case Brattstrom went back to being bad like he was last season and/or Cossa wasn't ready to hold down a regular role in GR. Then it turned out Olkinuora was the smelliest turd in the punch bowl. Probably the most realistic hope for Olkinuora's future would've been that he settles in as a solid enough 3rd stringer to get a couple more years of decent money as an AHL starter before he goes back home or retires.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not sure how the minimum guarantee's work if the contract is terminated (IIRC, if a player with an AHL minimum doesn't meet that minimum with NHL call ups, they get the difference in a big check at the end of the season), but Olkinuora is walking away from around $200k for the rest of the year. I'm guessing he either found a better paying gig overseas, or he knew he wasn't going to be playing much and wanted to go somewhere where he could play the rest of the year so as to not affect his value for next season.

I did count 60% of NHL season is played.

So 60% of his NHL contract with AHL salary 375k = 225k. That was paid.

He did left 150k on the table.

Will get probably get the rest back from Europe.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I did count 60% of NHL season is played.

So 60% of his NHL contract with AHL salary 375k = 225k. That was paid.

He did left 150k on the table.

Will get probably get the rest back from Europe.

I got the $200k because his guaranteed minimum was $425k, the extra $50k from his $375k salary of which he would've received by getting called up to the NHL and/or getting paid the difference at the end of the year. I'm assuming now that he isn't finishing the season and never got called up, he isn't getting that extra $50k either.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Then it turned out Olkinuora was the smelliest turd in the punch bowl.
It's metaphors like these that inspire me to continue posting.

1817817042-motivationashark.jpg

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

How is he supposed to win the Vezina for us next year with this move? Please tell me this so they can resign him to a longer deal instead.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Olkinuora is very good. But weird. His playing style does not instill any kind of confidence though. But he sure can make some saves.

Glad to see him available for the national team again.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Olkinuora is very good. But weird. His playing style does not instill any kind of confidence though. But he sure can make some saves.

Not in NA for GR he is not! BRUTAL numbers.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's funny how he was super good behind Finnish National defensive system integrated to goalie. World Championship Gold and Olympic Gold, thank you. Säteri played another one and Olkinuora another as a starter.

Both have failed at Griffins. Just perfect proof how GR Griffins won't have or can't build any kind of good defensive system, which will support the goalie.

But hey, when both Säteri (at 2019) and Olkinuora, these great winning goalies visited at Griffins, the Head coach was Ben Simon.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It's funny how he was super good behind Finnish National defensive system integrated to goalie. World Championship Gold and Olympic Gold, thank you. Säteri played another one and Olkinuora another as a starter.

Both have failed at Griffins. Just perfect proof how GR Griffins won't have or can't build any kind of good defensive system, which will support the goalie.

But hey, when both Säteri (at 2019) and Olkinuora, these great winning goalies visited at Griffins, the Head coach was Ben Simon.
Maybe they should give Jalonen a go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad