Olivier Latendresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Why isn't he ranked by ISS or even mentioned? He's the brother of 05 prospect Guillaume Latendresse (who'll attract much attention come draft time) and posted better numbers than most top prospects this year (65 pts in 53 games) playing for a mediocre team in the Q. I'm not saying stats account for adaptability (although they do account for some potential) im just saying he'd be a decent pick in the late rounds. Anyone else agree? Oh by the way, although size is a concern (5'10 185 lbs) it's not by all means that huge of a hindrance. I mean Dave Bolland's 5'11 171 lbs and he's 8th among NA skaters. We're talking bout a guy with great hands here, and a top pick in the Midget Draft
67 pts in 39 games as a fifteen year old playing for CCL. Compare that to Patrice Bergeron's 62 pts in 36 games (as a 16 year old) in 01-02. Just wondering, i'm puzzled 'ere.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I'm always under the impression that the Q gets a bad rep from scouts who think "oh, it's the q, well a fourth line banger could probably pile up a 100 points!" or the boring and usual "he's not a slow 6'5 lug? not worth it" The fact is it's a very competitive league, made all the more intriguing with the sudden emergence of European, Atlantic and American players. Remember, it's not strictly confined to the Quebec borders. Plus there were only two 100 pt scorers this year (fom the sme teamyou know who) so I don't think it's a necessarily high scoring league (unless compared to the WHL)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leachmeister2000 said:
I'm always under the impression that the Q gets a bad rep from scouts who think "oh, it's the q, well a fourth line banger could probably pile up a 100 points!" or the boring and usual "he's not a slow 6'5 lug? not worth it" The fact is it's a very competitive league, made all the more intriguing with the sudden emergence of European, Atlantic and American players. Remember, it's not strictly confined to the Quebec borders. Plus there were only two 100 pt scorers this year (fom the sme teamyou know who) so I don't think it's a necessarily high scoring league (unless compared to the WHL)

Youre right, in an AVG WHL game there were 0.2 less goals than the QMJHL.

That is 1 goal over 5 games. Not much.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think that scouts discriminate between leagues, when it comes to size. You could probably find examples of smallish players being totally snubbed in every important league in the last 5-6 drafts (e.g. Jiri Hudler out of the Czech junior ranks, Max Talbot out of the Q, Locke out of the OHL, Tobias Enstrom out of Sweden, etc. all drafted well below their talent level suggests). The 'Q' sees more players getting snubbed, but that's because there are more smallish players overall.

For me, if the player has talent he's worthy of being drafted. No questions asked. Not everyone with talent will make it to the NHL but everyone with talent deserves a chance. After all, talent should be the basis of sports scouting. And when I speak of talent the most important ingredient in this sport for me is hockey sense. If you know how to play the game, that's already a major advantage. AND, hockey sense is something you can't really teach...just ask Chris Gratton (No. 3 overall in 1993).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I don't think that scouts discriminate between leagues, when it comes to size. You could probably find examples of smallish players being totally snubbed in every important league in the last 5-6 drafts (e.g. Jiri Hudler out of the Czech junior ranks, Max Talbot out of the Q, Locke out of the OHL, Tobias Enstrom out of Sweden, etc. all drafted well below their talent level suggests). The 'Q' sees more players getting snubbed, but that's because there are more smallish players overall.

For me, if the player has talent he's worthy of being drafted. No questions asked. Not everyone with talent will make it to the NHL but everyone with talent deserves a chance. After all, talent should be the basis of sports scouting. And when I speak of talent the most important ingredient in this sport for me is hockey sense. If you know how to play the game, that's already a major advantage. AND, hockey sense is something you can't really teach...just ask Chris Gratton (No. 3 overall in 1993).

Until the rules allow them to play talent alone won't get them drafted. Can't blame the scouts for knowing that a 6'3' clutch is better than a 5'7" one and a 240 lb. grab is more effective than a 160 lb. one.... and even more boring to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->