Olivier Latendresse

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Form and Substance, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

Why isn't he ranked by ISS or even mentioned? He's the brother of 05 prospect Guillaume Latendresse (who'll attract much attention come draft time) and posted better numbers than most top prospects this year (65 pts in 53 games) playing for a mediocre team in the Q. I'm not saying stats account for adaptability (although they do account for some potential) im just saying he'd be a decent pick in the late rounds. Anyone else agree? Oh by the way, although size is a concern (5'10 185 lbs) it's not by all means that huge of a hindrance. I mean Dave Bolland's 5'11 171 lbs and he's 8th among NA skaters. We're talking bout a guy with great hands here, and a top pick in the Midget Draft
    67 pts in 39 games as a fifteen year old playing for CCL. Compare that to Patrice Bergeron's 62 pts in 36 games (as a 16 year old) in 01-02. Just wondering, i'm puzzled 'ere.

2. LaLaLaprise

LaLaLaprise lalalaprise -twitter

Hes small, like you said. And he is from the Q. Add those 2 together and you have a guy who will probably never get ranked.

3. The Mighty Duck Man

The Mighty Duck Man R-E-L-A-X

Home Page:
    He's not ranked high for the same reasons OHl scoring champion Corey Locke went in the fourth round last year.

4. Crosbyfan

Crosbyfan Registered User

Guillaume kept eating his lunch! :joker:

5. Form and Substance

I'm always under the impression that the Q gets a bad rep from scouts who think "oh, it's the q, well a fourth line banger could probably pile up a 100 points!" or the boring and usual "he's not a slow 6'5 lug? not worth it" The fact is it's a very competitive league, made all the more intriguing with the sudden emergence of European, Atlantic and American players. Remember, it's not strictly confined to the Quebec borders. Plus there were only two 100 pt scorers this year (fom the sme teamyou know who) so I don't think it's a necessarily high scoring league (unless compared to the WHL)

6. Form and Substance

Ha!

7. LaLaLaprise

Youre right, in an AVG WHL game there were 0.2 less goals than the QMJHL.

That is 1 goal over 5 games. Not much.

8. Jag68Sid87

Jag68Sid87 Nothing Else Maattas

I don't think that scouts discriminate between leagues, when it comes to size. You could probably find examples of smallish players being totally snubbed in every important league in the last 5-6 drafts (e.g. Jiri Hudler out of the Czech junior ranks, Max Talbot out of the Q, Locke out of the OHL, Tobias Enstrom out of Sweden, etc. all drafted well below their talent level suggests). The 'Q' sees more players getting snubbed, but that's because there are more smallish players overall.

For me, if the player has talent he's worthy of being drafted. No questions asked. Not everyone with talent will make it to the NHL but everyone with talent deserves a chance. After all, talent should be the basis of sports scouting. And when I speak of talent the most important ingredient in this sport for me is hockey sense. If you know how to play the game, that's already a major advantage. AND, hockey sense is something you can't really teach...just ask Chris Gratton (No. 3 overall in 1993).

9. LaLaLaprise

Yeah Hockey Sense and Charachter are tough to scout.

10. Crosbyfan

Crosbyfan Registered User

Until the rules allow them to play talent alone won't get them drafted. Can't blame the scouts for knowing that a 6'3' clutch is better than a 5'7" one and a 240 lb. grab is more effective than a 160 lb. one.... and even more boring to watch.

11. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    What's Oliver's skating like?

12. LaLaLaprise

Not a speed demon but not slow. Hes good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.