Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think we'll be moving any of our defensive prospects. Gio's 34 and signed for another 5 years@$6.75. Brodie and Hamonic expire the same year, it'll be difficult to resign both of them, pushing 30 years old, in their prime. High skilled, cost controlled contracts will be worth their weight in gold to this team, in the very near future.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't think we'll be moving any of our defensive prospects. Gio's 34 and signed for another 5 years@$6.75. Brodie and Hamonic expire the same year, it'll be difficult to resign both of them, pushing 30 years old, in their prime. High skilled, cost controlled contracts will be worth their weight in gold to this team, in the very near future.

I forgot Gio's making that much money. Sure hope he can be worth it for at least a few more seasons.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Bumping this so I don't end up making my own thread by accident.
Oliver Kylington was supposed to be a Top 5 Pick in 2015, and I'm wondering what happened.
He was a future Star potentially and he dropped to the 60th pick.
I'm also wondering if he has enough talent to make the NHL next year. As much as I am a Habs fan, I can only admire the amount of Young Offensive Talent coming in Potentially for the Flames. Dillon Dube, Adam Fox, Matthew Phillips... Maybe Kylington could come in as a Young Defensive Talent?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Oliver Kylington was supposed to be a Top 5 Pick in 2015, and I'm wondering what happened.
I'm also wondering if he has enough talent to make the NHL next year. As much as I am a Habs fan, I can only admire the amount of Young Offensive Talent coming in Potentially for the Flames. Dillon Dube, Adam Fox, Matthew Phillips... Maybe Kylington could come in as a Young Defensive Talent?
In his draft year, Kylington didn't have any stability playing in 3 different leagues in Sweden, this caused him to struggle and caused teams to question his commitment and attitude. That is why Kylington dropped.

As of right now, Kylington is an elite skater with offensive upside, his skating can get him out of alot jams, but he's still below average defensively. He has NHL potential but needs to sure up his defensive game some more IMO.

Also as an aside, we included Adam Fox in the deal to get Hanifin and Lindholm

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
?

Plenty of skills....Occasionally shows more talent that what he can consistently produce....something is missing, maybe good coaching...In a way a Bennett on defense

Because of their raw skills, they fool some people (mainly OKG) into thinking they are allstar caliber but they are not, at least nobody knows for sure

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I feel like Kylington is fairly competent defensively now, he’s come along way but still needs to improve more. I think his biggest area of concern is giving the puck away when he passes up the ice.

Also I think he’s physcially ready. He’s essentially the same size as Oduya now (as seen below) while possessing far better speed. If Kylington can slow the game down a little more and be smarter with the puck, he’s going to be an impact player.

90DCDCA2-A1EC-4419-B24B-C7F24E9C2037.jpeg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Still a high ceiling low floor prospect IMO. Not quite as high on him as some others but he is an absolute fantastic skater and athlete. Anybody with those traits has more than a puncher's chance of making the NHL. Agree with OKG's post earlier in this thread that he needs to refine his game more than try to change it in any significant way. I like my dmen taking some risks, but there has to be some recognition of when to go and when to make the safe play.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He should have made the team last year.

Really hoping he makes the team this year since Andersson is being blocked by useless Stone on the right side, Ollie only has to beat out painfully average Kulak (which he did last year dammit). Ollie's real competition will be from Valimaki who I think actually makes the team.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
How is Stone blocking Andersson? Stone can play on the left, and did last season at times. Andersson might also be able to adjust and move there. Peters won't be as strong up on handedness on sides.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Raitis Ivanans will always have a place in my heart as likely the worst/most unfortunate Flames career of all time. He got KO'd one game, the team got KO'd in the other. Then he was done.
I was so irritated by him being on the team it felt like he was active way more than that.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Kylington?

Best player to wear the Flaming C since Sergei Makarov.

You think he’s better than Rocky Thompson?

What about Sasha Lakovic?

Hmm, perhaps maybe Raitis Ivanans as well.

I was flipping through some of these guys careers and was looking at the late 90s, early 2000s flames teams and all of us that were diehard fans through those times, deserve to see the Flames win a cup soon. We went through some rough years.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I was flipping through some of these guys careers and was looking at the late 90s, early 2000s flames teams and all of us that were diehard fans through those times, deserve to see the Flames win a cup soon. We went through some rough years.
People may not agree with me, but I believe that we as fans, don't deserve anything except recognition and appreciation from the organization (which the Flames definitely do). There are die hard fans for every NHL team and we all stick with our teams through thick and thin and not everyone can win one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->