Recalled/Assigned: Oliver Kylington Recalled on emergency basis

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@Calculon, I think ykur assessment of ROR is fair but I think your underselling what his impact would be. Sure you need offence to win games, but ROR would also bolster our depth a ton, adding yes a good 2-way hockey player, but someone who is good offensively and has some size. Backlund is a great hockey player, but he’s not an opposing C to face, neither is Monahan or Jankowski.

And we would be trading a piece like Brodie because Andersson and potentially Valimaki are ready. Brodie is a great young player for sure, I know everyone speaks of the hole he would leave but it’s clear our group didn’t get the job done this year and I expect changes are going to be made. Based on organizational depth, it makes sense to deal a dman to fill a hole up front. I also don’t think anyone would care about his contract because it wasn’t signed with the Flames.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipetype

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
@Calculon, I think assessment of ROR is fair but I think your underselling what his impact would be. Sure you need offence to win games, but ROR would also bolster our depth a ton, adding yes a good 2-way hockey player, but someone who is good offensively and has some size. Backlund is a great hockey player, but he’s not an opposing C to face, neither is Monahan or Jankowski.

And we would be trading a piece like Brodie because Andersson and potentially Valimaki are ready. Brodie is a great young player for sure, I know everyone speaks of the hole he would leave but it’s clear our group didn’t get the job done this year and I expect changes are going to be made. Based on organizational depth, it makes sense to deal a dman to fill a hole up front. I also don’t think anyone would care about his contract because it wasn’t signed with the Flames.

Exactly. Ryan O’Reilly would vastly help us 5-on-5. You could pair him at C with guys like Bennett or Janko and make them better players.

Or you can shuffle him to play with Gaudreau/Monahan if Ferland/Bennett/Janko/Mangiapane/Foo/Shore/Frolik price to be an effective bottom 6.

Plus, he’s the best faceoff guy in the league. Face offs are such a huge part of the PK and PP.

And as much as I love TJ. If we can get a legit forward, it might be time to move on. Because I have faith in Valimaki, Andersson and Fox. Outside of Dube I don’t see a lot of guaranteed help up front.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I saw this posted on the mainboard, but would you guys do: Backlund and Dougie for ROR and Risto?
Definitely not. Dougie is worlds better than Risto overall, and O'Reilly's extra 12ish points per season isn't even enough of an upgrade to justify his extra $2 million+ cap hit, much less the downgrade from Hamilton to Ristolainen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't go that far, but I think he is being criminally underrated in here. It's actually a pretty fair offer but too lateral for either team to really consider it.

I think Risto is better defensively and a more punishing dman to play against and better all around. Dougie is a better skater, passer, better offensively, they are very similar in value, but 1 for 1 I’d take Risto by a slight margin.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Risto is better defensively and a more punishing dman to play against and better all around. Dougie is a better skater, passer, better offensively, they are very similar in value, but 1 for 1 I’d take Risto by a slight margin.
Risto's defense isn't that great, it's where he struggles the most. I actually think Dougie is better defensively and I really like Risto alot.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Would definitely go with Dougie based on defensive play, I think that's his main edge over Ristolainen. Plus Dougie racks up them winger goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad