Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH Wizard

I've liked Olesz since day 1. He held his own while playing with the big boys, last year with Sparta! He has interesting skills and he isn't too shabby, in his own end. Nice pick for the panthers! I don't expect him to win the calder but he's going to be a nice surprise for the panthers.

m2k2p

Jul 22, 2003
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Visit site
yeah I don't think his numbers(too early to tell anyway) will be good enough to win the calder, but I think as far as an all-around game, he will be of the best rookies this season. He has been the best Panther on the PK(almost scored SH on a 5 on 3), he plays like a vet, excellent on the defensive side, and makes very smart plays in the offensive zone as well. Martin feels comfortable playing him in any situation. If he develops his scoring touch, watch out! He is getting high praise from his team and the fans.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
i wasnt suggesting he would win the calder, especially as it is a strong rookie year, but he is gonna suprise alot of ppl who thought he had limited offensive potential.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I watched the Florida vs Tampa game last night and I was very impressed by young Olesz, he was one of the best on the ice, he looks ready to make an impact this year and he should only get better.

I don't know if he'll dominate with points compare to some other youngsters like Ovechkin, Crosby, Vanek, and so on, but he looks like a complete player, to be very honest I think he might be a lot like Frolov.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
I've been a big fan of Olesz ever since he was touted as a top four pick in the 04 draft. Right before the draft his stock dropped a lot from the "big hit" from Phaneuf. Plus his numbers weren't that great. But I watched him at the WJC in North Dakota and he lit it up against players his own age. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets the respect he deserves.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
he's extremely underrated!!! very good player who'll fight for the Calder

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Chuckalinsky said:
I've been a big fan of Olesz ever since he was touted as a top four pick in the 04 draft. Right before the draft his stock dropped a lot from the "big hit" from Phaneuf. Plus his numbers weren't that great. But I watched him at the WJC in North Dakota and he lit it up against players his own age. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets the respect he deserves.
He played in a tough league dont forget, whilst he was playing in a mens league, most other top prospects were playing in the juniors. i think he was the youngest ever player to pay in the czech elite league, it had previously been Jagr.

m2k2p

Jul 22, 2003
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Visit site
Chuckalinsky said:

yeah I remember a lot of people saying he was injury prone just because of that one big hit, but I think most players on the other side of such a check would be injured. He has'nt had many other injuries that I am aware of. He played a defensive role in the Czech Elite league on 3rd or 4th lines, he was used kind of like a 3rd d-man. I am glad his stock dropped :)

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
Hi all,

I have been following Olesz since he was 16. In Vitkovice, where he spent most of his carrer as well as in Sparta, he was used as a 3rd or 4th line left winger and as you probably know, in Czech hockey system, left wing has lot of defensive responsibilities. This and the fact that he was not used on the powerplay caused his goals total stayed low throughout his Extraleague carrer.

I listened to the TB-FLA game and saw the highlights of both gams Panthers have played so far and according to what I saw and heard, it is the same Olesz I know from Extraleague - very mature, responsible defensively, good physical play, smart player who reads the play well. But not a goal scorer.

My point is that playing him on PK unit and 1st line LW with Jok and New is a very good thing because that is a situation he is familiar with and he is good at but unless he is given some PP time, I would not expect many points from him. He might be as useful for Cats as Crosby for Pens, just on the other end of the rink.

As much as I love his game, his offensive upside is IMO lower than for example Hudlers or Michaleks and thus the Calder race story is in this rookie strong year out of question.

In a long term I see him picking up 60-70 points in his prime (depends a lot on how the league deals with the large number of penalties. Not the league, the players)

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
The thing is mate, he is starting to dispell this myth that he has limited offensive upside. For starts, he is on the 1st line. The 1st freaking line. You dont play there for you defense. He also set up many panther opportunities that SHOULD have been cashed in. His tenacity and awareness will give him a few goals alone, just by being jonny-on-the-spot.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I disagree with the comments made on Olesz' offensive potential. I see potential for 60-80 pts. Solid all-around game will give him plenty of ice time.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
I too have been amazed with Olesz so far this year. The Panthers have had some guys with more skill come in at a young age (Horton, Bouwmeester, etc.), but none of them played as good as this kid (even though it's only 2 games in). He is 19 but plays like he is 29. Very smart in all his decisions. Shoots when he should shoot, passes when he should pass.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
luongofan said:
I too have been amazed with Olesz so far this year. The Panthers have had some guys with more skill come in at a young age (Horton, Bouwmeester, etc.), but none of them played as good as this kid (even though it's only 2 games in). He is 19 but plays like he is 29. Very smart in all his decisions. Shoots when he should shoot, passes when he should pass.
I would say he has just as much skill as J-bo and Horton, perhaps slighty less than Horton.
Dont expect him to put up mass points this year though, the panthers so far have struggled to score thus far.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
J17ster said:
I would say he has just as much skill as J-bo and Horton, perhaps slighty less than Horton.
Dont expect him to put up mass points this year though, the panthers so far have struggled to score thus far.
I think he can put up a lot of assists. Realistically, he has had 3 perfect passes that should have been buried. His defensive abilities alone will help this team tremendously.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
luongofan said:
I think he can put up a lot of assists. Realistically, he has had 3 perfect passes that should have been buried. His defensive abilities alone will help this team tremendously.
lol just depends on how his teammates finish, i agree on a better offensive team, he could put up some decent numbers, and i think he could be possibly the best panthers player in the next 2 years or so.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Before the draft I don't really think he was underrated. IIRC he was considered, at one point, to be a pretty safe bet for 3rd overall, and it was only his concussion scare that dropped his stock.

Great player, should be entertaining to watch.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
J17ster said:
lol he didnt mean he was better than AO, he said they were two different players, I think he meant they were both equally at their type of game.
No I wasnt laughing at the fact what he said isnt true(because it might be), I find the concept of him saying it funny. Anyways, carry on.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Habsaku said:
No I wasnt laughing at the fact what he said isnt true(because it might be), I find the concept of him saying it funny. Anyways, carry on.
lol. IMO Olesz isnt gonna be the superstar AO is. Though Olesz looks like easily a top #5 pick now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->