oleg saprykin or jon cheechoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
I know that Saprykin has a huge upside, but I really doubt that he will get there. I saw him play maybe 8 times this year and in some games, he was almost invisible. On the other hand, I saw Cheechoo less times but the games that I saw from him really impressed me. He is gritty, has good speed and hands and he can be a 20 goals a year scorer. I would prefer have a more complete player like Cheechoo on my team than a potential bust, or a one way forward in the mold of Saprykin.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Jamie Thomas said:
I know that Saprykin has a huge upside, but I really doubt that he will get there. I saw him play maybe 8 times this year and in some games, he was almost invisible. On the other hand, I saw Cheechoo less times but the games that I saw from him really impressed me. He is gritty, has good speed and hands and he can be a 20 goals a year scorer. I would prefer have a more complete player like Cheechoo on my team than a potential bust, or a one way forward in the mold of Saprykin.

Sappy is not a one way forward. The guy is pretty sound in two way hockey. If he was only a one way forward Sutter would have packed him up a long time ago. Sappy improves every year. Give Sappy another year and compare his next season to Cheecho this year (to make the age difference equal) and you will see an even closer comparison. Also, Sappy has had to develop in a system that lacked stability. The Flames had gone through I believe 3 coaches, etc during his drafting and a couple different minor league systems. Doesn't help a young player when the organization was in trouble at the time.

Swervedriver

OMA said:
Cheechoo is more of a sure thing in my opinion. The guy's going to be a second line player for a long time IMO.

Saprykin is such an enigma. Having seen a lot of him this year, the guy has first-line upside. But he's one of those players that's either going to reach that upside and be a dynamite player or bust and be playing in Europe by the time he's 30.

:handclap:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Saprykin is terrible. He's no more than a Russian League All Star.

If you say Saprykin is terrible then I guess that means he's pretty good. I have yet to see you be right about anything you post, especially when talking Flames. It's obvious you are a Flames troll and would pick Scott Nichol over Matthew Lombardi just to stir something up with Flames fans.

Your opinions on Flames players are useless. Everytime there is a Flames thread, you always have to say something negative about that player or the team. And you are always DEAD WRONG !! :joker:

Flames fans: Do yourself a favor and put this unknowledgable poster on your ignore list.

Friesenh2o

Jun 24, 2002
San Jose
hermanschool.com
Some of you flames fans obviously dont understand the way these threads work. You pick the player YOU THINK is best and post a rationale about why you think the way you do. All of you Saprykin folks just need to type his name and state why YOU would prefer him, if that is even the case. Some of you trying to add to Saprykins status havent even posted your preference, and thats all this is, WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE.... :teach:

That being said. I'd also go with Cheechoo, the guy is dedicated to improving himself, and he is a hard nose player. Yeah, Cheechoo doesn't have 1st line skills, but where he lacks in skating and overall talent he makes up with soft hands and a nose for the net. Cheechoo is willing to pay the price on a nightly basis, and is rewarded for that combination by putting the puck in the net. He also has made the most improvement in his game in a single offseason than any other player I have EVER seen. This continued growth may even push him into that 1st line status, because I for one, NEVER expected him to be able to do what he has done this year so quickly

st_roland

X-SHARKIE said:
I would just like to quick say.. Brad Boyes has better hands then Cheechoo so dont go thinking he has the best hands in are organization...Thank you.

Cheechoo reminds me of Brendan Morrow.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I haven't seen enough of Cheechoo to say whether I'd rather have him or Saprykin.

But I have seen a lot of Saprykin and I do know that a lot of the non-Calgary fans in this thread are underrating him.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
X-SHARKIE said:
I would just like to quick say.. Brad Boyes has better hands then Cheechoo so dont go thinking he has the best hands in are organization...Thank you.
Absolutely wrong. Flat out wrong. Cheech's hands are the best in the organization, taking into account Marleau and Michalek. If he skated like he handles the rock, he'd be a perrennial all-star.

~Crazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->