Old Time Memories

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Earlier today Wetcoaster posted a great story about Kenny Reardon and childhood memories.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=677536&page=2

Those of us who were fortunate to grow up in an NHL city had greater exposure to NHL players beyond "Hockey Night in Canada".

My grade five teacher grew-up in the neighbourhood where Doug Harvey lived.He taught her to skate at the local park. For one Friday in February she and the other grade five teacher organized a class skating outing at the outdoor rink across the street from the school. Unannounced she had Doug Harvey show-up. He had a postcard size photo for each of us and skated with the class for app. two hours. The last twenty minutes featured a scrimmage between the boys in each class with Doug Harvey refing and coaching. Needless to say we were much better skaters and players afterwards.

Please share your memories.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
1961-62

When I was in grade 8 Maurice Richard did a cross country tour to some schools. He came to ours and I met and shook his hand. He left an impression. Not very tall but had a chest like a barrel.

When I was 14 NHL ref Matt Pavelich officiated a game we played. Two things I remember distinctly. One being how fast he was. I was no slouch but was only 14. The other was when I happened to get a breakaway opportunity he skated beside me saying "go! go!" I ended up cutting across the front of the net opening up the goalies legs and scoring. Pavelich skated by after and said "Nice goal". I always liked him after that. I have a picture with him from that day as well.

Last edited:

Merritton

Aug 27, 2009
Hockey Hotbed

Once upon a time - when I was little more than an infant - my little corner of the world was something of a hockey hotbed. Three Junior A teams - St. Catharines, Hamilton and Niagara Falls - and an AHL team - Buffalo - were just a short drive away. A complete list of the stars-to-be I was fortunate enough to watch "live" would be way too long to attempt.

One player who does warrant mention is Rod Gilbert. He was in his final year of junior hockey when I saw him - a couple of times - and I was immediately impressed. He not only was obviously talented - the best player on the ice - but he also had the classic French Canadian look (with his dark hair). Gilbert looked like an older version of me, and I could imagine myself in his skates whenever I was on the ice - the difference in skating notwithstanding.

Dennis Hextall also really impressed me. He was with Buffalo's Bisons, and in the AHL he was demonstrating the style which would attract many hockey fans to him. Hextall wasn't very big, but he was absolutely fearless - along the boards and in front of the opposition net. He put up points and penalty minutes with equal ability. A little later - in the NHL - Dennis would sometimes lead his team in both points and penalties.

Merritton

Aug 27, 2009
The Cullen Brothers

Yes, That Tee Pees, Bisons, BlackHawks connection was indeed something else!! Truly a pipeline to greatness!

Axxellien, when my pappy discovered that the Cullen brothers were playing - and starring - for the Buffalo Bisons, that was when the excursions to the Aud began. The Cullens - and especially Brian - had been a big deal in St. Catharines, where they attracted the attention of my father originally. With other ex-TeePees like Chico Maki also playing for Buffalo, that just further whet my dad's appetite to see the Bisons.

The Bisons went to the Calder Cup finals the first year we began attending their games, and then won the Calder Cup the next year. We attended quite a few games over the years before the Sabres supplanted the Bisons at the Aud.

Visitors to this thread might be surprised to learn that the Garden City Arena - in St. Catharines - wherein the Cullens, Maki, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita etc., etc. starred many decades ago, is the home today of the Niagara Ice Dogs.

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Yes, truly grand days!! ..Teams of destiny...Teams of history!!
I remember those teams as if it was yesterday. Followed the Bisons & Teepees because I was a big Blackhawk fan in those days. Never got to a Bison's game but followed them in the hockey news. Larry Wilson was my personal favorite. Always hoped to see him back in the NHL. Used to watch the Hamilton tiger Cub games on TV back in the 50's. The Hamilton TV station used to broadcast them on a Thusday night, I believe. Was usually pretty snowy. Remember Murray Oliver playing for Hamilton & Bobby Hull for St.Kitts. Teepees big line one year was Matt Ravlich/Ed hoekstra/Pie MacKenize.Think Hoekstra won the scoring title. Ravlich & Mackenize had decent NHL careers & Hoekstra got in one decent season after expansion. Remember seeing a memorial cup game at MLG when Maki was the big star. I think Ray cullen was also at that team. their opponents were Edmonton who had Cliff Pennington & eddie Joyal. Great memories.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Memorial Cup

I remember those teams as if it was yesterday. Followed the Bisons & Teepees because I was a big Blackhawk fan in those days. Never got to a Bison's game but followed them in the hockey news. Larry Wilson was my personal favorite. Always hoped to see him back in the NHL. Used to watch the Hamilton tiger Cub games on TV back in the 50's. The Hamilton TV station used to broadcast them on a Thusday night, I believe. Was usually pretty snowy. Remember Murray Oliver playing for Hamilton & Bobby Hull for St.Kitts. Teepees big line one year was Matt Ravlich/Ed hoekstra/Pie MacKenize.Think Hoekstra won the scoring title. Ravlich & Mackenize had decent NHL careers & Hoekstra got in one decent season after expansion. Remember seeing a memorial cup game at MLG when Maki was the big star. I think Ray cullen was also at that team. their opponents were Edmonton who had Cliff Pennington & eddie Joyal. Great memories.

Interesting sidebar about the Memorial Cup from that era and into the early 1970's. Teams were allowed to pick-up a player from one of their league teams for the final Memorial Cup Series which was a best of seven. Cliff Pennington played for the Flin Flon Bombers.

This was allowed into the early 1970's. The 1969 ,1970 Memorial Cup Champion Junior Canadiens picked-up John Garrett and Jim Rutherford, leading OHA goaltehders for the final.

Merritton

Aug 27, 2009
St. Catharines' Memorial Cup Run

Pappyline, the year that St. Catharines went to - and won - the Memorial Cup is the year I began joining my pappy and my older brother when they attended hockey games. My recollection is that the playoffs - the early rounds - were underway. Needless to say, the Garden City Arena was packed and the excitement level was quite incredible.

The very next season - with guys like Chico Maki, Vic Hadfield and Pat Stapleton gone - the TeePees were not nearly as good and the excitement level was way down. Brain and Barry's little brother - Ray Cullen - was the big star I remember. That was the season Guelph's big star - Rod Gilbert - caught my attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad