Old Arena Images & Beginnings

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
original.png

October 18, 1955 - first hockey game held at the Winnipeg Arena. The Winnipeg Warriors played host to the Calgary Stampeders (Western Hockey League) in front of 9,671 spectators. The seating capacity upon opening was 9,500. The Winnipeg Arena would later become home to the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA in 1972 and later on when the Jets joined the NHL in 1979. The building continued to be the Jets home until 1996 when the franchise relocated to Phoenix, Arizona. The Manitoba Moose of the AHL would call the building 'home' from 1996 to 2004 when they moved into the new MTS Centre (now Bell MTS Place). The Winnipeg Arena would be demolished on March 26, 2006.

I was at that game. I was 16 years old. I officiated many games there. I would sit in the area that the photo was taken from when I was a spectator.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Great thread!
Killion I love your knowledge for this stuff espescially the old Winnipeg barns!

While I only recall the 'Queen' in Winnipeg as family moved to Edmonton when I was 5 in 1970, I still have a soft spot.
Also would like to see someone post some pics of the old Edmonton Garden. It had fantastic natural ice I believe, obstructed views, but had character!

Thanks again

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Great thread!
Killion I love your knowledge for this stuff espescially the old Winnipeg barns!

While I only recall the 'Queen' in Winnipeg as family moved to Edmonton when I was 5 in 1970, I still have a soft spot.
Also would like to see someone post some pics of the old Edmonton Garden. It had fantastic natural ice I believe, obstructed views, but had character!

Thanks again

.... Love the old buildings so sure, pleasure to share.... I never played at the old Winnipeg Arena but I knew guys who had, another who worked there during the 70's..... As for the Edmonton Gardens, thats another grand old Lady, long gone of course. Opening in 1913.... aka the "Agricultural & Livestock Pavilion" as well as the "Cow Barn", a name also applied to San Francisco's arena though a bit grander; "Cow Palace" and of later vintage out of which the Sharks' first played. Odorous to say the least after the Rodeo had been in town. Edmonton Gardens sat around 5000 for hockey & yep, had obstructed seating as it like a lot of other early buildings (Hamiltons' "Forum" for eg) had steel girders buttressing the boards from the foundations to the steel roof trusses...

.... now, these not only obstructed the spectators view but surely as well had to have been seriously dangerous to the life & limb of the players, solid check or boarding & BAM! Your head (and no helmet) hitting an immovable object, cold, hard steel.. Additionally they & the trusses "dripped" moisture, pools on the ice, like disgusting rust colored ant hills blotting the surface, the wooden floors running elsewhere, slippery, oily & blackened from years of livestock & other usage. Washrooms & dressing rooms so bad youd've been wise to get a tetanus shot before entering the building. The beams were eventually removed & replaced, re-configured in a fairly expensive reno, home to the WHA club for a couple of years before Northlands opened; home to the Oilers (and others) Jr. & Sr. teams & so on.....

Building wouldnt die. When it came time to take er' down, packed, loaded with TNT & barely a shudder. Still standing. Built beyond tough. They tried again however even then just wouldnt crater, eventually having to bring in the wrecking ball. There are some photos of the Edmonton Gardens, Hamiltons Forum & a few others of the same design floating around here & on the net.... I'll see what I can dig up.... including the Thistle Arena, which was Edmontons main rink before even the Gardens.

Heres an interesting site that features current and old OHL & WHL etc arenas with photo's & descriptions that Im sure you'll find interesting.... www.ohlarenaguide.com

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nice finds DB..... especially the Thistle Arena which really is quite stunning despite its simplistic exterior.... I see the Edmonton Gardens interior shots, and my mistake, I thought the pillars were right at ice level behind the boards as was the case in Hamilton & elsewhere, but not so. Set back..... Like the look of the Calgary Corral as well.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
North Avenue Ice Palace, Baltimore (where ice hockey was played from December 1894 – March 1898 by Baltimore Hockey Club, Maryland Athletic Club, Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland, Northampton Hockey Club and other teams):

original.jpg

Ice Skating Palace, Washington D.C., in 1896 (this rink was located at the second floor of the Convention Hall Market (Northern Liberty Market) at 5th Street NW, between K and L in the present-day Mount Vernon Triangle neighborhood of Washington, D.C.):

original.jpg

Clermont Avenue Skating Rink, Brooklyn (home of the Brooklyn Skating Club and the Brooklyn Crescents of the American Amateur Hockey League from 1896–1906 before BSC folded and the Crescents moved to the St. Nicholas Skating Rink in Manhattan):

original.jpg

Reactions: James Laverance

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
The St.Louis Convention and Music Hall under construction in 1897.
full

Interior of Rink.
full

full

The St.Louis Coliseum in 1915 built in 1907 after the demolition of first rink.
full

The Wintergarden Skating Rink in 1916.
full

Last edited:
Reactions: ehhedler

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Interior of the Elysium Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.

original.jpg

Ice scraper machine at the Elysium Arena in Cleveland, Ohio. Photograph is sourced from Ice and Refrigeration paper from August 1917.

original.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: James Laverance

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
It appears that there may have been as many as three covered skating rinks in Detroit in 1860.

"On December 7, 1860, the first skating rink was opened. It was located between Third and Fifth, Beech and High Streets. Another was subsequently opened on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue and Davenport Street. A rink was also built on the northeast corner of Woodward Avenue and Edmund Street; and in 1861, and for several years after, skating was a popular pastime with beaux and belles."
History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
It appears that there may have been as many as three covered skating rinks in Detroit in 1860.

"On December 7, 1860, the first skating rink was opened. It was located between Third and Fifth, Beech and High Streets. Another was subsequently opened on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue and Davenport Street. A rink was also built on the northeast corner of Woodward Avenue and Edmund Street; and in 1861, and for several years after, skating was a popular pastime with beaux and belles."
History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan

Great find and info. Curious as to American definitions for outdoor facilities that were not covered.

Dimensions, with boards or free range, watered ice surface?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Great find and info. Curious as to American definitions for outdoor facilities that were not covered.

Dimensions, with boards or free range, watered ice surface?

I dont know where you might find those records C58 as natural ice surfaces usually varied according to whatever the people had to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad