Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Boby Mac recently reported that Kyle Okposo could go in the top 5:

Young American Kyle Okposo and Quebec junior Derrick Brassard are getting long, hard looks from teams likely to be picking in the top five.

He hasnt got any attention compared to other players expected to go in the top 10 and i know almost nothing about him, can anyone give me some info and stats on him? Has anyone seen him play? Also most scouting services have him going 8-12, what are the chances he goes top 5.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
vanwychen27 said:
Boby Mac recently reported that Kyle Okposo could go in the top 5:

He hasnt got any attention compared to other players expected to go in the top 10 and i know almost nothing about him, can anyone give me some info and stats on him? Has anyone seen him play? Also most scouting services have him going 8-12, what are the chances he goes top 5.

He doesn't get a lot of pub playing in the USHL but is a very impressive prospect. I wouldn't consider his skills top notch per se, but he is a very effective player who has some dangle and can play the game anyway you want it. He's also got good size, defensive awareness, skating, and leadership abilities. Frankly I think he and Toews make for a better comparison than Kessel and Toews.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

I have fallen in love with Okposo's game this year long before this recent blurb, and he confirmed my thoughts a few nights ago in Green Bay with more stellar play in the playoffs.

Okposo is 6-0 but you never see him get knocked off his feet, he thrives in traffic and likes to go straite to the heart of it, hes' fearless. Plus he can manuever in traffic and has such strong hands and puck protection, he can handle the puck with players all over him. His speed is very good, excellent first step, great bursts of speed in tight and to the outside, wins a lot of foot races. He never quits, goes hard every play, forechecks hard and back checks equally. Creates scoring chances every shift and loves to attack the net and use his slick wrist shot. I've seen him make some nice plays moving the puck as well...he finishes checks hard. Complete player really.

The knock on him, is that he lacks game breaking skill but he has enough of it to land on a top line some day IMO. He has top end skill with a top end work ethic and head for the game, he appears to be nothing short of a coaches dream and if i'm picking around 5th overall I would take a chance on him.

He's done it every where he has gone, USHL regular season and playoffs, Shattuck, U-18's, U-17's, was great at the Viking Cup this season. He knows how to play every night, he has that consistancy to him.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I have fallen in love with Okposo's game this year long before this recent blurb, and he confirmed my thoughts a few nights ago in Green Bay with more stellar play in the playoffs.

Okposo is 6-0 but you never see him get knocked off his feet, he thrives in traffic and likes to go straite to the heart of it, hes' fearless. Plus he can manuever in traffic and has such strong hands and puck protection, he can handle the puck with players all over him. His speed is very good, excellent first step, great bursts of speed in tight and to the outside, wins a lot of foot races. He never quits, goes hard every play, forechecks hard and back checks equally. Creates scoring chances every shift and loves to attack the net and use his slick wrist shot. I've seen him make some nice plays moving the puck as well...he finishes checks hard. Complete player really.

The knock on him, is that he lacks game breaking skill but he has enough of it to land on a top line some day IMO. He has top end skill with a top end work ethic and head for the game, he appears to be nothing short of a coaches dream and if i'm picking around 5th overall I would take a chance on him.

He's done it every where he has gone, USHL regular season and playoffs, Shattuck, U-18's, U-17's, was great at the Viking Cup this season. He knows how to play every night, he has that consistancy to him.
But what in all that puts him over someone like Mueller or Staal, at least one of whom he'd have to beat out to go top 5?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think they are both Nigerian partially so the comparision is obvious. He could be like Iginla. Does everything, a bull dozer on skates that scores.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
X-SHARKIE said:

I hope this analysis is dead on!! Wish I had a chance to see him play. I'm excited about seeing him and Eric Johnson in a Gopher jersey next yr!! IMO, they provide exactly what we were missing this yr......Grit and strength!! We've lost two great players in Potulny & Irman, hopefully that's it....Kessel & Wheeler, IMO, need at least 1 more yr before jumping, I hope they stay.
:yo: :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->