Okposo (NHL Playoffs)

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Now that college hockey is done for the season, I'm surprised there has been no talk of Kyle Okposo joining the Isles for the playoffs. I think he would be a great addition to their roster, especially against a team like Buffalo. Okposo could bring some physicality, as well as some offene to their squad. Anyone hear anything in regards to this?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
good call mooseOAK. I'm sure the Isles have talked to Kyle about coming out of the NCAA. I'm not sure, but I don't think Okposo would be able to play in the AHL this year so he would have to go the NHL and I know if the Isles think he's ready for that jump yet. (Ken Hitchcock explained something to me when Ryan Potulny came out of NCAA last year about why he couldn't play in the AHL...Any help on this one?)

mooseOAK*

good call mooseOAK. I'm sure the Isles have talked to Kyle about coming out of the NCAA. I'm not sure, but I don't think Okposo would be able to play in the AHL this year so he would have to go the NHL and I know if the Isles think he's ready for that jump yet. (Ken Hitchcock explained something to me when Ryan Potulny came out of NCAA last year about why he couldn't play in the AHL...Any help on this one?)

As far as Okposo is concerned, if a player wants to return to the NCAA then they can not play in any pro games whatsoever because they would lose their college eligibility.

For Potulny my guess is that he was not named to the Phantoms' "clear day roster" which is issued early March. Any players not on this list can not play for an AHL team after that date.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
From what I can remember, a player coming from a North American hockey league (or is it born in NA?) that does not yet have 20 years old can't sign a contract with an AHL team nor be assigned to one.

Technically, a player coming out of the NCAA to play (or even participate in camp, unless it's entirely at his own expenses) turns pro and cannot return to play in the NCAA. I do think that the player could be sent to a CHL team as a work-around but it's not exactly an easy thing to do.

In any case, the Isles are better off leaving Okposo to the NCAA unless they know for sure that he'll make their permanent roster or he's 20+ and can play in the AHL and even then, the Gophers have a good program and he wouldn't be wasted by letting him attend school for his entire program should he choose to do so. Besides, those power-forward types usually blossom later.

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Now that college hockey is done for the season, I'm surprised there has been no talk of Kyle Okposo joining the Isles for the playoffs. I think he would be a great addition to their roster, especially against a team like Buffalo. Okposo could bring some physicality, as well as some offene to their squad. Anyone hear anything in regards to this?
I think the Isles wont risk destroying a young player's confidence for playoff games...and rightfully so

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
From what I can remember, a player coming from a North American hockey league (or is it born in NA?) that does not yet have 20 years old can't sign a contract with an AHL team nor be assigned to one.
That's only if the player comes from major junior hockey in Canada. Chris Bourque was 18 last year and playing for Washington's AHL affiliate all season long.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

The consensus of people who have watched him (i.e. Minnesota fans) is that he's not ready yet.

Physicality is not what the Isles need against the Sabres (they've got enough). The Isles sorely lack positional defensive ability. And there's no reason to believe that a rookie with 1 year of college experience will bring that.

Cheers,

Dan-o

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Physically, strength-wise, Okposo is ready for the NHL. 2 of his last 3 games for the Gophers this season he essentially shut down Toews. I don't expect him back with the Gophs next year.

My question to the original poster...why would you want to add him to an NHL playoff roster when he hasn't played a game in over 2 weeks?

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
I posted this before...I really like Kyle's game, but he could use another year in the WCHA.

Kyle was about the biggest beneficiary of Tyler Hirsch...with whom he scored 15 goals in the first half of the season. In the second half and since he lost his linemate, Okposo has just 4 goals (3 of them in drubbings of last place Alaska Anchorage).

He ended up with just one assist for the WJCs...which was even better than his college playoffs where he got a total of one assist in WCHA Final 5 and NCAA playoffs combined.

Okposo game is less ready than is EJs or was Kessels. Kyle's game is also less ready after a freshman year than was Stasny's, Pavelski's, Toews', Oshie's, JJ's, Parise's and Vanek's (to name some)...all of whom stayed for their sophomore year.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I posted this before...I really like Kyle's game, but he could use another year in the WCHA.

Kyle was about the biggest beneficiary of Tyler Hirsch...with whom he scored 15 goals in the first half of the season. In the second half and since he lost his linemate, Okposo has just 4 goals (3 of them in drubbings of last place Alaska Anchorage).

He ended up with just one assist for the WJCs...which was even better than his college playoffs where he got a total of one assist in WCHA Final 5 and NCAA playoffs combined.

Okposo game is less ready than is EJs or was Kessels. Kyle's game is also less ready after a freshman year than was Stasny's, Pavelski's, Toews', Oshie's, JJ's, Parise's and Vanek's (to name some)...all of whom stayed for their sophomore year.

Very good post. I was thinking the same thing. He wasn't all that effective in the second half. On top of that,he hasn't played in a few weeks. I doubt he'd find success in the NHL playoffs.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Take my word on this or not, but I talked to former Islanders Steve Webb (current Islanders scout) about 2 months ago when he was in Minnesota to scout the Gophers (Okposo) and St. Cloud (their backup goalie, not that he played) and he told me they want Kyle to play another year in college.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Take my word on this or not, but I talked to former Islanders Steve Webb (current Islanders scout) about 2 months ago when he was in Minnesota to scout the Gophers (Okposo) and St. Cloud (their backup goalie, not that he played) and he told me they want Kyle to play another year in college.

:handclap:

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Very good post. I was thinking the same thing. He wasn't all that effective in the second half. On top of that,he hasn't played in a few weeks. I doubt he'd find success in the NHL playoffs.

I wouldn't say he wasn't effective, he actually did a great job shutting down the others top lines.

Completely agree with 5mn. Hirsch leaving changed the whole dynamics of the Gophers, most notably KO. I truly feel that if Hirsch could've stayed...Likely that 5mn would've changed to "6mn".

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Kyle Okposo to return to the Gophers for another year...

The latest from Minnesota Hockey Journal's site:

BREAKING NEWS:
Quick Facts has learned that Gopher Forward Mike Carman is academically ineligible to play for the team. A release from the Sports Information Department is forthcoming. The release from the Gophers is also expected to include information that Kyle Okposo will return to the team next season, saving Minnesota ignominy of losing their top three freshmen from last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->