Oklahoma City for NHL?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
.............. in the catagory of I do not know a hockey puck from a cow pie, but if that NBA thang don't work (they literally say that in the article, how welcoming). . .
Yup, no bias in that presentation by you. Especially considering that OKC has won the overall minor-league attendance title three out of the last six years (with over 8,000 per game every year), finished 2nd two of those years, and not been any lower than sixth at any time in the past seven years...

But sure, none of them know a hockey puck from a cow pie. :banghead:

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
yes i've heard this about oklahoma - the pittsburgh situation resolved plus two expansion team's is what the nhl is looking at doing
Huge mistake (expansion). Regardless of the NHL propaganda, there will continue to be teams struggling in their existing markets, and putting expansion teams into the two best markets without hockey currently would water down the talent pool AND handcuff the league and team owners when the next Pittsburgh-type situation arises.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Huge mistake (expansion). Regardless of the NHL propaganda, there will continue to be teams struggling in their existing markets, and putting expansion teams into the two best markets without hockey currently would water down the talent pool AND handcuff the league and team owners when the next Pittsburgh-type situation arises.

there's a line-up of credible stinky rich types that want in - jerry bruckeimer for one - bettman has already released the four division plan - needs two more teams to be balanced -

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yup, no bias in that presentation by you. Especially considering that OKC has won the overall minor-league attendance title three out of the last six years (with over 8,000 per game every year), finished 2nd two of those years, and not been any lower than sixth at any time in the past seven years...

But sure, none of them know a hockey puck from a cow pie. :banghead:

The sentiments were OKC's not mine. Read the article. Hockey is a very very second class citizen in that reporting and in the quotes from the OKC Mayor. If we do not get basketball, OKC said, what the hell, we would settle for that red headed step child, hockey. Don't you all feel welcome now?

jacketracket*

Yeah I should clarify i think columbus is a good market... for a bunch of six toed hicks who couldn't tell you who Stan Smyl was!:sarcasm:
We've been relatively free of the six-toes thing for a couple of generations, now ...

In all seriousness, I think OKC would be an excellent market. They've got a fan base that knows and supports hockey, they're geographically attractive, and --- as with Columbus --- the NHL would be the only pro game in town.

If I was a hockey fan in OKC, I'd be pissed right now at the comments made regarding the NBA. "Given the choice, we're looking at the NBA, but the NHL is a possibility if that doesn't work out."

Blah.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
No offense to pittsburgh fans, but they are a distant third in that city. It's all steelers steelers and god forbid if the Pirates actually did something they would take over the pens in popularity quickly. I mean they had a Cowher press conference headlining the news when their hockey team got the offer to move to KC.
My point was mainly in reference to people citing strong attendance for OKC's minor league franchise, not Pittsburgh.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The sentiments were OKC's not mine. Read the article. Hockey is a very very second class citizen in that reporting and in the quotes from the OKC Mayor. If we do not get basketball, OKC said, what the hell, we would settle for that red headed step child, hockey. Don't you all feel welcome now?
Bull. The "sentiments" of "we don't know a hockey puck from a cow pie" were all yours. Yes, the article did make clear that the NBA was favored over the NHL, but the stereotyping and dismissal of an entire fan base's knowledge came from you, and you alone.

mfosterftw

In the last round of expansion, OKC was cut in the first round but apparently they had a very strong presentation - even stronger than the two Houston groups. The sole reason they were turned down is because they were the smallest market presenting and the league worried about local support.

Actually, OKC was the last team cut from the last expansion. The NHL strung them along as they continued to drag out the process because Columbus and St. Paul had yet to secure their arena funding.

However, based on the reason given for rejection by the NHL, OKC should have been cut in the first round. The NHL didn't like the small TV market (it was good enough to make the various cuts, but not for the final round? what changed?). OKC tried to argue a larger market by combining adjacent TV markets (Tulsa, Wichita, and four smaller ones) into a broadcasting network similar to how radio deals are handled, where there's a flagship station as well as others who pick up the feed, but it wasn't enough for the NHL.

Marc

jacketracket*

Actually, OKC was the last team cut from the last expansion. The NHL strung them along as they continued to drag out the process because Columbus and St. Paul had yet to secure their arena funding.
This is how I remember it, too.

There were four finalists: Minny, Columbus, OKC, and a fourth. Was the fourth Hampton Roads (VA), or one of the Houston groups?

jacketracket*

Nashville...

Marc
After Nashville and Atlanta had been given franchises. There was a stage in the process ( as I recall) where there were four finalists for the two spots that went to Minny and Columbus.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
OKC Not Interested In Pens; City Councilman Pushes Plan C

PITTSBURGH -- The Penguins' ownership group will not head to Oklahoma, as was to be scheduled.

The mayor of Oklahoma City said the city does not plan on inviting the Pens' owners to tour the Ford Center, but would instead rather land a permanent NBA team for that facility.

The mayor said Oklahoma City would not be able to support two professional teams.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/10707334/detail.html

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Not really a surprise, the Hornets will play there this season and the city has been working hard trying to get them to stay. They probably don't want to have to pretty much start from scratch on building fan support for another pro franchise when they've got support for the (currently temporary) team there.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
mfosterftw said:
Mmmm, that's right... I think your original thought is correct, but can't remember if it was HR or Houston.

Marc

I'm pretty sure it was Hampton Roads; my in-laws live there, and they were sending me clips from the Virginian-Pilot all the time about the expansion talks, because they know I'm a hockey nut.

They were going to call the team the Hampton Roads Rhinos, which would have been moderately cool, I suppose. I was surprised that it wasn't a nautical or naval theme, though, seeing as how the US Navy is the big economic driver down there.

Getting back to OKC, though, I'd like to see them in the NHL. The mayor is a twit, openly dissing the NHL, but I guess I understand why he's doing it. They really want to keep the NBA there, since as has been pointed out, it's the only major-league sport in the state.

P_B

:bb:

harper

Feb 4, 2006
Frankly, i dont understand why the NHL is obsessed with finding some nonhockey town. The gap between the american and canadian dollars make it more viable for canadian franchises. They keep following this pipe dream. What a joke.

GSC2k2*

Frankly, i dont understand why the NHL is obsessed with finding some nonhockey town. The gap between the american and canadian dollars make it more viable for canadian franchises. They keep following this pipe dream. What a joke.
The "joke" is the multiple posters on this Board who (a) think they know what a "hockey town" is and (b) think that there is even a single additional Canadian market that could handle an NHL franchise (and yes, that includes the idea of second franchises in those markets already served by one).

The idea of a seventh Canadian franchise is a joke.

Even the notion that there is such a thing as a "hockey town" is a joke.

At this point, I pretty well label anyone who uses the term "hockey town" (except in a rejection of the concept) as someone who in all likelihood has no clue what they are talking about and simply spout the traditional gum-flapping standard "wisdom" without having expended an ounce of critical thought in the process.

Jazz

The "joke" is the multiple posters on this Board who (a) think they know what a "hockey town" is and (b) think that there is even a single additional Canadian market that could handle an NHL franchise (and yes, that includes the idea of second franchises in those markets already served by one).

The idea of a seventh Canadian franchise is a joke.

Even the notion that there is such a thing as a "hockey town" is a joke.

At this point, I pretty well label anyone who uses the term "hockey town" (except in a rejection of the concept) as someone who in all likelihood has no clue what they are talking about and simply spout the traditional gum-flapping standard "wisdom" without having expended an ounce of critical thought in the process.
Can't argue with gscarpenter.

Besides, why are Canadians so against "Growing" the support of the game? You talk to fans of ANY other sport for the most part, they embrace having other sports fans join the fold.... So why not hockey? :shakehead

Note - expansion takes time as well - you can't judge the 90's expansion teams success for at least a full generation. :teach:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->