GDT: OKC Barons @ Houston Aeros, Sunday 12/16 4:05PM MDT

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gah bleh. Pretty awful final couple of periods. 10 shots in the final 2 periods+OT.

Can't give up late goals like that. Also can't have a goalie let in a goal in the shootout when the player fans on it.

They must have lost about 10 games when they were even or ahead going into the 3rd, absolutely inexcusable. I don't want to hear the 3 games in 3 nights excuse, Houston was also in the same situation. There isn't even one defenseman who is above average defensively, that's a big problem.

Oilerdiehard

Aug 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
It sounded like Harski was a bit banged up yesterday, I thought that he was pretty quiet tonight, I guess I know why now. Henry ruined what was an otherwise good night with a bad penalty that eventually cost us the game.

Just hang on one play I guess? How about Marincin and Hall both completely falling asleep in the slot and leaving Granlund completely open with tons of time and space to tie it up 2-2.

I mean Eberle took two penalties, but luckily the PK killed them off. I do not think you can hang the loss on just one guy like that tonight IMO.

I am not saying they played bad or awful. But I mean otherwise they played good? They were out shot 46-20 tonight. They were probably lucky to get a point.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If we had some reliable, shutdown defensemen in this line-up we'd be looking a ridiculously good record right now. It's frightening how many late game goals this team has yielded courtesy of it's horrid defense. Tambellini's done an absolutely **** job of augmenting the organization's defense and there's no excuse for it. The NHLers are taking up forward positions.

He did get N. Schultz and Smid is developing well. Whitney was great pre injury.
Last FA period there want to many solid defenseman that could have realistically been signed.

Plus in a rebuild he cant trade picks and prospects away as that defeats the purpose.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
1-2-0-3 against the Aeros = completely unacceptable.

Shots on Goal over all 6 meetings
Houston|OKC
39-20
38-18
29-27
34-24
27-27
46-20

6 game shot totals:
213-136

Average shots per game:
35.5-22.7

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just hang on one play I guess? How about Marincin and Hall both completely falling asleep in the slot and leaving Granlund completely open with tons of time and space to tie it up 2-2.

I mean Eberle took two penalties, but luckily the PK killed them off. I do not think you can hang the loss on just one guy like that tonight IMO.

I am not saying they played bad or awful. But I mean otherwise they played good? They were out shot 46-20 tonight. They were probably lucky to get a point.

He is relied upon to be a veteran presence on this club yet just like Green the other night he took a penalty late when the game was on the line. Marincin was dreadful and Granlund got a freebie, that said Marincin's penalty didn't cost us 2 points. No one took charge of this game when the game was there for the taking IMO.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Well, the Aeros are the Wilds' farm team. They represent everything that these Oilers fail against. Tight checking, physicality and clutch secondary scoring.

OilFury

Nov 17, 2012
If we had some reliable, shutdown defensemen in this line-up we'd be looking a ridiculously good record right now. It's frightening how many late game goals this team has yielded courtesy of it's horrid defense. Tambellini's done an absolutely **** job of augmenting the organization's defense and there's no excuse for it. The NHLers are taking up forward positions.

our d will be fine theres just no vets for the barons d, our NHL d will be fine and i think will be very impressive over the next few years.

not worried one bit about losing players to decertification and i highly doubt it gets to that

sure ebs took 2 penalties, he also helps with scoring all the time..and those penalties arnt with 3 mins left in the game when trying to hold onto a 1 goal lead BIG difference

Henry and others take bad penalties late in the game when were trying to hold onto that lead...

and yes we have Danis to thank for that point for sure

this isnt our NHL team its meant for our prospects to play and hopefully develop.. as much as i would like some vet d on there to get us wins. i want to see Schultz/Marincin/Fedun/Teubert all play and Davidson/Plante to see what we have

They added guys like Henry,Zahn,Deck to try and a reliable guy to the mix so far only Deck seems to be working out.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's really interesting is that Houston is 14-8-1-3 on the season and without the games against us they are 9-7-1-3. So it seems like they have our number in a big way yet they haven't been that dominant over other teams.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
When Nugent-Hopkins is in this line-up it's pretty much the group that we're relying on to take us to the promised land. Thus far their team is mediocre in the AHL. Tambellini's got to work a few miracles here to plug some key holes and give our stars some usable support players. Right now we have precious few.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
this will be a great match-up for years

Wild / Oil

love how the Aeros play with Granlund / Coyle and Zucker in the lineup :)

Congrats on the win, you guys earned it. Hopefully we can start to win a few so that it cane be a rivalry instead of a one sided ass kicking ;)

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Congrats on the win, you guys earned it. Hopefully we can start to win a few so that it cane be a rivalry instead of a one sided ass kicking ;)

Well I hope that doesn't happen any time soon but it eventually (very soon) will. the Wild / Aero's can't keep this going forever against you guys, can they ???? :sarcasm:

I am scared with how good Schultz is. The kid just keeps producing and I see no stop in that anytime soon.

as for the HF poll on Murray or Schultz, I would take Schultz all day! What a lucky pick up, congrats!

Oilerdiehard

Aug 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well I hope that doesn't happen any time soon but it eventually (very soon) will. the Wild / Aero's can't keep this going forever against you guys, can they ???? :sarcasm:

It is weird between these two teams.

Two years ago Houston dominated OKC all season, then last season the Barons had Houston's number all season last year. The cycle is starting over again apparently. :laugh:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
When Nugent-Hopkins is in this line-up it's pretty much the group that we're relying on to take us to the promised land. Thus far their team is mediocre in the AHL. Tambellini's got to work a few miracles here to plug some key holes and give our stars some usable support players. Right now we have precious few.

Not really, nobody outside of RNH, Eberle, Schultz, and Hall is even guaranteed to be on the team two years from now (maybe Hartikainen). Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov should provide the kids with more secondary scoring than they're getting in the AHL, and Smyth still has a bit left.

They definitely need to add some pieces, especially in terms of getting more gritty. But you're overly pessimistic.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Not really, nobody outside of RNH, Eberle, Schultz, and Hall is even guaranteed to be on the team two years from now (maybe Hartikainen). Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov should provide the kids with more secondary scoring than they're getting in the AHL, and Smyth still has a bit left.

They definitely need to add some pieces, especially in terms of getting more gritty. But you're overly pessimistic.
Okay, so over his tenure Steve Tambellini has done nothing outside of adding first overall picks and Justin Schultz.

As far as sandpaper and grittiness go, Travis Ewanyk and Mitch Moroz are going to have a lot of pressure on them once they graduate from Major Junior Hockey.

OilFury

Nov 17, 2012
the difference last year was a team who could hang onto the lead for a win this year too many new guys taking bad penalties/giveaways near the end of the third

OilFury

Nov 17, 2012

thanks i cant wait to redo that poll after an NHL season schultz is scary and i'm glad he is on the oil and not having to face him through the year :D

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Surprise! Aeros beat us again! Such a joy to watch Minnesota, Calgary, and their farm teams consistently kick our ***** all over the ice every game

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Surprise! Aeros beat us again! Such a joy to watch Minnesota, Calgary, and their farm teams consistently kick our ***** all over the ice every game
Well, the Barons played a pretty great game the last time they played the Heat. It was probably their best defensive game of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->