OK, what the hell is going on here...Phaneuf fights Ladd, then Fraser fights Getzlaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Two seconds in Phanuef fights Ladd and then two seconds later Fraser fights Getzlaf! Later in the first period, Fraser and Ladd both took coincedental minors, with Fraser looking as though he wanted to scrap as he picked up an extra 10 minute misconduct! I would put my money on the two Red Deer Rebels in the scraps, but my question is, did these guys hate each other all along or are they just screwing around?

Can someone please explain what happened and recap the fights.

Mountain Dude

Hockey is an emtional game, and just because you fight someone doesn't mean you don't like them, it means you take exception to something they've done to you or to one of your teammates, pretty simple if you ask me.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
Hockey is an emtional game, and just because you fight someone doesn't mean you don't like them, it means you take exception to something they've done to you or to one of your teammates, pretty simple if you ask me.

That's true, friends always fight in hockey, they all know what happens on the ice stays on the ice. Hell Keith Primeau even fought his brother Wayne Primeau a few years back.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
HabLover said:
Two seconds in Phanuef fights Ladd and then two seconds later Fraser fights Getzlaf! Later in the first period, Fraser and Ladd both took coincedental minors, with Fraser looking as though he wanted to scrap as he picked up an extra 10 minute misconduct! I would put my money on the two Red Deer Rebels in the scraps, but my question is, did these guys hate each other all along or are they just screwing around?

Can someone please explain what happened and recap the fights.

Did anybody here see the fights? I want a report, dammit! :D

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
For those wondering Phaneuf finished the night with a goal. 31 points in 31 games, not bad for a defencemen with no offence. :handclap:

As for the fight, good on the lot of em. They were teammates 3 weeks ago, not anymore. Phaneuf also apparently crushed Getzlaf with a hit late in the 3rd... Getzlaf returned for one shift and didn't play again.

Last edited:

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
I find the fact the fights were 2 and 4 seconds into the match pretty interesting myself. Have their teams played since the WJC and were there any issues that might have contributed to this?

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
rival said:
I find the fact the fights were 2 and 4 seconds into the match pretty interesting myself. Have their teams played since the WJC and were there any issues that might have contributed to this?
or maybe they were like 'hey lets get into fights right away at the start of our first game vs each other!' ' ok, cool!!!'

Go Flames Go*

Just saw this hahaha funny stuff all 4 gold medal teamates. Phaneuf smacked Getlazf into the boards in the 3rd period also. Good stuff from our boy.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
For those wondering Phaneuf finished the night with a goal. 31 points in 31 games, not bad for a defencemen with no offence. :handclap:

Who has ever doubt of Phaneuf's offensive ability ?

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

As for the fight, good on the lot of em. They were teammates 3 weeks ago, not anymore. Phaneuf also apparently crushed Getzlaf with a hit late in the 3rd... Getzlaf returned for one shift and didn't play again.

I could be wrong but I think it was earlier in the game, just heard the recap on the radio.

se7en*

MrMastodonFarm said:
For those wondering Phaneuf finished the night with a goal. 31 points in 31 games, not bad for a defencemen with no offence. :handclap: .

That's impressive because from what I hear ('Ive never seen a game) that the WHL is alot more defensive than other leagues.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They face each other again tonight. Should be interesting. I have a feeling Getzlaf may have sustained a concussion on the Phaneuf hit. I didn't see it, but was listening to the broadcast. He was very woozy and bleeding - from his nose, I believe. I have a feeling he won't be playing tonight.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Hootchie Cootchie said:
That's impressive because from what I hear ('Ive never seen a game) that the WHL is alot more defensive than other leagues.

It's impressive but several WHL Ds are at a point per game (roughly) this year. Including 2004 4th rounder Clayton Stoner.

Year after year, there are between 2 and 10 blueliners with that kind of PPG average. There was even a D with over 2 PPG in 2000, if I am not mistaken.

What makes Dion impressive is really his overall game. The offense is not extraordinary by WHL standards. Even for this year, he's just part of a pack of defensemen, six or seven of them with a similar PPG.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Vlad:

The two teams line up for the faceoff. Phaneuf and Getzlaff must have had something to say as at the drop of the puck they immediately square off and start throwing punches. While that is drawing to a close the second fight starts and the same thing happens. All four end up in the two boxes and as the commentator noted, " this must have been planned as look at the laughs and smiles in the box". It was actually goofy and a waste of time, and had nothing to do with "emotion" of the game.

Phaneuf was interviewed after the game and really just said "there are no friends in hockey - once you are playing each other it doesn't matter what happened before" or something like that.

I suspect the four of them agreed to do this right at the start so that everyone else understood they know the difference between being teammates and opponents. One thing to understand - Sutter controls his team very tightly and it is unlikely that he did not know this was going to happen and either encourage it or at least give a green light.

As an aside, the real damage was done by Phaneuf on the hit into the boards that put Getzlaff into tomorrowland. The Hitman coach was a bit ticked and claimed it was from behind and that Phaneuf left his feet, but the ref did not see it that way. Either way, I suspect Getzlaff may be out for a while - he does not remember the hit or anything after it and looked pretty dazed while being interviewed.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
It's impressive but several WHL Ds are at a point per game (roughly) this year. Including 2004 4th rounder Clayton Stoner.

Year after year, there are between 2 and 10 blueliners with that kind of PPG average. There was even a D with over 2 PPG in 2000, if I am not mistaken.

However something does stand out in Dion's stats this year when you compare them to the rest of the WHL defensemen...

1 Kris Russell Medicine Hat Tigers 47 20 27 47 26
2 Mike Green Saskatoon Blades 47 11 35 46 81
3 Dustin Byfuglien Prince George Cougars 41 16 24 40 117
4 Steven Later Brandon Wheat Kings 44 6 31 37 139
5 Brent Seabrook Lethbridge Hurricanes 40 7 27 34 71
6 Cam Barker Medicine Hat Tigers 31 7 26 33 58
7 Clayton Stoner Tri-City Americans 33 7 25 32 44
8 Dustin Kohn Calgary Hitmen 48 6 26 32 34
9 Dion Phaneuf Red Deer Rebels 31 14 17 31 47
10 Raymond Macias Kamloops Blazers 47 6 24 30 8
11 Shawn Belle Tri-City Americans 39 9 20 29 50
12 Shea Weber Kelowna Rockets 38 10 18 28 68
13 Braydon Coburn Portland Winter Hawks 39 6 22 28 90
14 * Andrej Meszaros Vancouver Giants 36 7 20 27 60

Dion appears to have the highest goals per game ratio at almost a goal every other game (14 goals in 31 games.) Russel with 20 goals in 47 games and Byfuglien with 16 in 41 are really the only two that are comparable on that front.

I find the goals per game pace to be much more intriguing than the points per game pace. Phaneuf already has a better point shot than anyone on the Flames. Those that think he's a stay at home defensemen may have underrated his ability to shoot the puck. And it's not as if this is the first year he's been scoring, he had 19 goals in the regular season last year and 16 goals in the regular season as a 17 year old.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
OMG, if this kid is 1/2 of his potential, the Flames will be very happy. With Phaneuf on the Flames, they now have 2 guys (2 defense pairs) where forwards will have to be watching where they are on the ice.

Keep your head up for Regehr on the #1D pairing and then also now when Phaneuf is on the ice. Just imagine if Gauts was still a Flame.

Regehr, Phaneuf and Gauts would have been a really solid hitting tandum.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Dion appears to have the highest goals per game ratio at almost a goal every other game (14 goals in 31 games.) Russel with 20 goals in 47 games and Byfuglien with 16 in 41 are really the only two that are comparable on that front.

I find the goals per game pace to be much more intriguing than the points per game pace. Phaneuf already has a better point shot than anyone on the Flames. Those that think he's a stay at home defensemen may have underrated his ability to shoot the puck. And it's not as if this is the first year he's been scoring, he had 19 goals in the regular season last year and 16 goals in the regular season as a 17 year old.

I agree with you on his shot. It's big league! My point is just that there is more to Phaneuf than his WHL production. It's really his pro-like game all-around that makes me salivate. He just looks like a future NHLer, a guy whose game will translate pretty well.

He has improved on his rushes, which was in part why some saw him as a stay at home before. He's certainly going to be a solid two-way D, IMO.

Maybe you can help me, BTW. I think you follow the Hitmen, right? Wasn't there a D with unreal stats a couple of years ago? 2000 I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad