ok .. a positive about a cap .. maybe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
well, the revenue figures cited by the league i assume include playoff revenue. if this is the case, then the player no longer are playing the playoffs for free.

ok, tell me why the players cant ask for this in return for linkage.

1 - Revenue Certainty. The players and owners agree what is todays revenue's and set a date to count those same revenue's again.

If the the league hasnt grown in revenue by X %, the owners will be charged a penalty. This instantly cures the trust issue, it behooves the owners to declare at least enough of their revenue to show the growth.

2 - Full salary for this year. Hey, let the owners buy their way into the hard cap. Whats the difference, they were prepared to scorch all revenue and future revenue's to get the hard cap anyway.

Ok ...

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
DR said:
well, the revenue figures cited by the league i assume include playoff revenue. if this is the case, then the player no longer are playing the playoffs for free.

1 - Revenue Certainty. The players and owners agree what is todays revenue's and set a date to count those same revenue's again.

If the the league hasnt grown in revenue by X %, the owners will be charged a penalty. This instantly cures the trust issue, it behooves the owners to declare at least enough of their revenue to show the growth.

2 - Full salary for this year. Hey, let the owners buy their way into the hard cap. Whats the difference, they were prepared to scorch all revenue and future revenue's to get the hard cap anyway.

Ok ...

dr
allow me to bump my thread.

i thought you all would be interested to see that i supported a cap in this thread.

dr

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
DR said:

Will both sides agree to having league revenues audited annually by an objective third-party? If so, then great. Not making that assumption, however.

This is a critical point, not often addressed by Bettman and pro-hardcappers on this site. After you get your hardcap, what exactly are you going to do to generate (increased) revenue? Without a substantive answer, you are asking employees to lock into a "no growth" salary structure, potentially (in some cases) for the remainder of their careers.

:)

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
DR said:

Ok ...

dr

I am not sure how you figure the players play the playoffs for free? They dont get paid on a per game basis, they get paid on a per hockey year basis. Playoffs are part of the hockey year.

Charging the owners for revenues not growing is a double whammy. First they aren't making anymore and you want to toss a penalty on that? It might be an ok idea if it were easy for owners to magically increase revenues. It's basically predicated on the idea that the owners are completely lying about revenue right now which may or may not be true.

There is no way players can get paid their full salaries for this year. First, there is no way there will be enough revenue to do this. Second, whether you want to admit it or not the players are just as responsible for the lockout as the owners. There is no CBA, no deal= no hockey. It's not as if there is a current deal in place and the NHL as shut it down. There is simply no contract. Why reward the players even further for being just as hardheaded? Your last sentence could easily be changed to "Whats the difference, they were prepared to scorch all income and future incomes's to avoid the hard cap anyway."

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
txomisc said:
I am not sure how you figure the players play the playoffs for free? They dont get paid on a per game basis, they get paid on a per hockey year basis. Playoffs are part of the hockey year.

Charging the owners for revenues not growing is a double whammy. First they aren't making anymore and you want to toss a penalty on that? It might be an ok idea if it were easy for owners to magically increase revenues. It's basically predicated on the idea that the owners are completely lying about revenue right now which may or may not be true.

There is no way players can get paid their full salaries for this year. First, there is no way there will be enough revenue to do this. Second, whether you want to admit it or not the players are just as responsible for the lockout as the owners. There is no CBA, no deal= no hockey. It's not as if there is a current deal in place and the NHL as shut it down. There is simply no contract. Why reward the players even further for being just as hardheaded? Your last sentence could easily be changed to "Whats the difference, they were prepared to scorch all income and future incomes's to avoid the hard cap anyway."
all fine points ... but if this is what it would take to get a hard cap, why wouldnt the owners do it ?

the players were willing to give up half a billion dollars, with only the hope they could get it back, to get their system.

dr

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
DR said:
all fine points ... but if this is what it would take to get a hard cap, why wouldnt the owners do it ?

the players were willing to give up half a billion dollars, with only the hope they could get it back, to get their system.

dr
I'm not sure they wouldn't. I am also not sure that the players would be willing.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I just want to set an example of the 54% cap of revenues going to the players.
Let's assume we are an owner of an entertainment business, and we hold an event that brings in... $5,000,000.00 in revenues. The workers (players) will be guaranteed $2,700,000, while the owner pockets $2,300,000.

But, from that $2,300,000 generated, calculate how much it cost to run the event, to pay the staff that setup the event, countless operating bills to run and manage the facilities, equipment costs, medical/health costs/benefits, accomodations (hotel, air-fare, per diems, etc.). There are so many costs involved that will end up eating up the revenues. But luckily there is a chance of either breaking even or gaining a profit depending on the number of corporate sponsors.

So, who is taking the biggest risk in this piece of the business? The owners of course. And when spending money on players, they aren't always getting what they paid for. And then you have a few select clubs who helped drive up the average player salary and contributed on a large part of setting the marketplace which makes it difficult for the other businesses operating within the same industry to compete with them. Call it capitalism, I call it an unfair and irresponsible way of conducting business when you are involved in a partnership with all the teams in a league. And those clubs who practiced these unconventionial methods should be punished for their actions, ergo the need for a salary cap. Just take a look at where all the highest paid players play, they play within some of the biggest markets.

There are those who think the players shouldn't take a hit. Well here is where the problem lies. PLAYER-A sees PLAYER-B get $9,000,000 from a company who can afford to pay him those wages. PLAYER-A says to himself "I'm just as good as that player, maybe better, I want $9,000,000." His company comes back to him saying, "Sorry, we can't afford to pay you that amount, we'll offer you $7,000,000, making you the highest paid player on the team." So PLAYER-A goes to test the market and sees that there are... 5 organizations out there who could pay what he is seeking. Do you know how this affects the 25 other organizations within the same industry? An industry in which all 30 organizations must work together to make the one single entity they represent (the NHL) to be successful as a whole? That is where the problem lies.

But there must also be a better system of revenue sharing implemented by the owners, that goes without saying.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Ziggy Stardust said:
I just want to set an example of the 54% cap of revenues going to the players.
Let's assume we are an owner of an entertainment business, and we hold an event that brings in... $5,000,000.00 in revenues. The workers (players) will be guaranteed $2,700,000, while the owner pockets $2,300,000.
well the owners arent offering the workers 54%. the workers in the case of an event (hockey or not) are the ushers, ticket takers, parking lot attendants etc.

the reason the players command that much is because they are the event.

if you make and sell widgets a good 70% of your expendetures would go into the production of them. the players are the primary component of the production of the NHL product.

dr

dr

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Lets say the workers in my entertainment business example are the actors (players). Sure people pay to be entertained and watch the actors (players) perform. But they are spending money to watch a good product. And sometimes those high priced actors are not worth the price of admission.
The players are part of the product. Hockey at the NHL level is the major component that sells the product.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Ziggy Stardust said:
Lets say the workers in my entertainment business example are the actors (players). Sure people pay to be entertained and watch the actors (players) perform. But they are spending money to watch a good product. And sometimes those high priced actors are not worth the price of admission.
The players are part of the product. Hockey at the NHL level is the major component that sells the product.
isnt that what i said ?
dr

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
"the reason the players command that much is because they are the event."

You kinda contradicted yourself... I should point that out. But yes, I basically repeated what you said.

And I think you will find my reasoning as to why a salary cap is necessary to be a reasonable explanation was to why the players must compromise that when they return to the NHL, they will be playing in a league that has some form of a salary cap.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Ziggy Stardust said:
"the reason the players command that much is because they are the event."

You kinda contradicted yourself... I should point that out. But yes, I basically repeated what you said.

And I think you will find my reasoning as to why a salary cap is necessary to be a reasonable explanation was to why the players must compromise that when they return to the NHL, they will be playing in a league that has some form of a salary cap.
i think i have been consistent in saying the only way their is a negotiated settlement is if the players agree to linkage.

that being said, how about a response to the original post ?

dr

Brent Burns Beard