News Article: OJHL's Jr. Sabres to Take Year's Absence

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Well, this isn't ideal for me, my colleagues on the staff, our players, or anyone else - but with the Canadian border situation still not resolved, the Buffalo Jr. Sabres have announced a season's leave of absence from the Ontario Junior Hockey League.

OJHL’S BUFFALO JR SABRES TAKE LEAVE OF ABSENCE | Ontario Junior A Hockey League

OJHL Article said:
“The Buffalo Jr Sabres are tremendous partners within the OJHL and have always put the interest of their players at the forefront of their decisions”, stated Marty Savoy, OJHL Commissioner. “After careful consideration due to the uncertainty of the travel over the US/ Canadian border, the Buffalo Jr Sabres have made the difficult decision, which the OJHL supports, to have the club not compete in the 2020-2021 season.”

The team and the league have been in communication for a number of weeks as the situation of travel between Canada and the United States continues to be monitored. With so much uncertainty as to when the boarder will be open to allow for OJHL teams to travel inter-country between the US and Canada, the collective decision has been made to have the Jr Sabres take a leave of absence for the 2020-2021 season.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Interesting...

My nephew plays for Nashville’s sponsered team that I think is U16 then they have another sponsered team thst is jr Sabres equivalent level.

My understanding is they are still pkaying. My brother told me he was st practice ( assuming that team) and those who did or didn’t wear masks.

He also plays for a merged high schools team.

Born in 2004 he’d be draft eligible in 2022 with still his senior year to play.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Interesting...

My nephew plays for Nashville’s sponsered team that I think is U16 then they have another sponsered team thst is jr Sabres equivalent level.

My understanding is they are still pkaying. My brother told me he was st practice ( assuming that team) and those who did or didn’t wear masks.

He also plays for a merged high schools team.

Born in 2004 he’d be draft eligible in 2022 with still his senior year to play.

I'm guessing a Nashville team doesn't have to worry about all their away games being played in Canada and the uncertainty about the travel ban.

The USHL & NAHL are planning on having 2020-21 seasons because they don't have to worry about travel across the border.

USHL Focused on Full Schedule For 2020-21 Season

I wonder why if the Jr. Sabres tried to join the NAHL for one year? The USHL's footprint doesn't fit with Buffalo as a member. But, the NAHL has plenty of teams in the Northeast, including a team in Jamestown.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I've heard nothing about when our rink will re-open - the last time I was in the building (late March), the ice was out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad