Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Joel Persson (D)

Oct 15, 2008
Half measures bs.

Certainly not befitting of a disastrous result that was the 2017/18 season, but hey, I think those guys know a thing or two about winning amirite?

Reactions: fuswald

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In North America it would be considered on the level of The Federal League--which is a pro league

He was paid to play hockey therefor it is a pro league

Most minor league players have part time jobs

John Torterella played for the team in the 1980's
Very few players in div2 have a 'full-time' hockey salary, some make around 1000 EUR month and works part time jobs and most get a couple of hundred euros and work full-time jobs. I know this was the case a few years ago and I don't think that much have changed.

Proffesional league in Sweden, per definition, is when you get paid to play full-time, or at least where the most common contracts are full-time. Until recently it was just the SHL, now it is SHL and div1. If you don't like that definition that's fine but this is what it is called in Sweden since forever (and I thought it was the same in NA) for hockey/football etc. was

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Rather see him in Bakerfield on small rinks and a possible call up! Whats the meaning of this? he aint 18 years old and we arent stacked at D !

I disagree, there are a lot of dmen in Bakersfield that need big minutes. Bear, Jones, Mantha, Berglund (I believe is coming over?), Lowe, Simpson.

Half measures bs.

Certainly not befitting of a disastrous result that was the 2017/18 season, but hey, I think those guys know a thing or two about winning amirite?

Is there really anything wrong with this signing? It clearly isn't made to be a quick fix.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky
Oct 15, 2008
Is there really anything wrong with this signing? It clearly isn't made to be a quick fix.

Based on previous history, I would say this is their answer to the offensive dman/bomb from the point hole in the lineup.

And so yes, there is LOTS wrong with another longshot bet that will most likely end up snake eyes yet again. It is lazy and cheap and above all else, stupid. I'm betting this comes from the top, from Curly Daryl, because he is all of those things.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Based on previous history, I would say this is their answer to the offensive dman/bomb from the point hole in the lineup.

And so yes, there is LOTS wrong with another longshot bet that will most likely end up snake eyes yet again. It is lazy and cheap and above all else, stupid. I'm betting this comes from the top, from Curly Daryl, because he is all of those things.
Persson is playing in Sweden next season.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

They already announced that he's not going to be playing in North America next season so how can you possibly think they're even remotely considering this as an immediate solution?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Based on previous history this is the exact kind of forward thinking signing that previous management would have never done. Hell they didn't even think it was important enough to have our own AHL team. They'd be trying to be trying to give away draft picks for the next Nikitin.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
2019-20 Will be VERY interesting.

For the sake of the narrative, lets assume Benning has been given a 2 year extension and this is the final year of his deal. Bear will have played the majority of the year in the AHL in 2018/19. Berglund continues to develop and is given a contract.

You have Benning, Bear, Mantha, Persson, and Berglund competing for NHL time in training camp.

Also have Lagesson and Jones competing for time on the left side, with Samourukov in the pipeline.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rishaug with the scoop on this signing...maybe he has a better source than Bob?
Rishaug is guy that passes on what he hears. He really has nothing to lose either. Where as Stauffer needs listeners and likes to extend the truth to get those viewers.

The other thing is at the time Rishaug was at the World's with a lot of hockey people and could've picked up this story from all sorts of different sources.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

that's a giant reach, which isn't surprising.

in no world is this a bad signing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

This whole post is sarcasm right?

They mentioned that he was going to play in Sweden next year. This signing is on the very off chance he just explodes during the season and we bring him over or if he again has a good year, we have his rights. It's using Daddy Katz money to grab a very intriguing longshot guy before other teams get a chance.

This is a signing that is a great idea dn hurts us in zero ways.

Reactions: Aerrol

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I guess this is the asshats big move to fix our D. Yay.
Jeez, I know you hated the guy from day one, but now you're reaching. The signing of a promising a RD who from nothing became one of the top SHL Ds in a year, and who will stay there for another year, is not in any way a bad thing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is still a weird one to me if he is staying in Sweden.
  • I understand signing him to lock in his RFA status, sounds good.
  • However, this makes his contract next year non-ELC creating an opportunity for an overpay next year in a non-ELC contract.
  • However, this locks him into only negotiating with one team, keeping him affordable (ignoring Chiarelli's tendancy to overpay anyways)
  • But then why would the player lock himself into potentially only one team bidding for him for a simple $92K signing bonus?
  • But maybe the agent and Chia is super smart thinking that there could be an offersheet anyways if Edmonton doesn't pay allowing for free draft picks for Edmonton and the player just collected a nice signing bonus for nothing and can maximize his value next year (i.e no ELC limit).
  • But then the final twist is the Schedule A bonus'. They are unattainable if he's playing in Sweden, so why include them if there is no intent to come over.
:confused::eek::oops:o_O:huh:

All in all, I suspect we haven't heard the full story yet. I'm thinking he's coming for training camp but will have a SHL contract in his back pocket if he doesn't make the team in training camp.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
This is still a weird one to me if he is staying in Sweden.
  • I understand signing him to lock in his RFA status, sounds good.
  • However, this makes his contract next year non-ELC creating an opportunity for an overpay next year in a non-ELC contract.
  • However, this locks him into only negotiating with one team, keeping him affordable (ignoring Chiarelli's tendancy to overpay anyways)
  • But then why would the player lock himself into potentially only one team bidding for him for a simple $92K signing bonus?
  • But maybe the agent and Chia is super smart thinking that there could be an offersheet anyways if Edmonton doesn't pay allowing for free draft picks for Edmonton and the player just collected a nice signing bonus for nothing and can maximize his value next year (i.e no ELC limit).
  • But then the final twist is the Schedule A bonus'. They are unattainable if he's playing in Sweden, so why include them if there is no intent to come over.
:confused::eek::oops:o_O:huh:

All in all, I suspect we haven't heard the full story yet. I'm thinking he's coming for training camp but will have a SHL contract in his back pocket if he doesn't make the team in training camp.

He'd still be on a cheap ELC next year if he didn't sign this year. This way he gets 92k guaranteed, and the ELC+10% (that's still a thing for contracts under a million, right?) at minimum if he shows well next year.

Remember if he doesn't have as dominate a season (and the Växjö just lost Pettersson), he likely gets zero NHL interested and zero money next year. So this is a safe move for him.

Plus Edmonton's a good fit for him anyways with the team's need for an offensive RHD, and a number of Swedes already there (Klefbom, Larsson, and Lagersson). On the other hand, Edmonton doesn't have to complete against other teams if they want him next year.

Basically both sides are hedging their bets.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He'd still be on a cheap ELC next year if he didn't sign this year. This way he gets 92k guaranteed, and the ELC+10% (that's still a thing for contracts under a million, right?) at minimum if he shows well next year.

Remember if he doesn't have as dominate a season (and the Växjö just lost Pettersson), he likely gets zero NHL interested and zero money next year. So this is a safe move for him.

Plus Edmonton's a good fit for him anyways with the team's need for an offensive RHD, and a number of Swedes already there (Klefbom, Larsson, and Lagersson). On the other hand, Edmonton doesn't have to complete against other teams if they want him next year.

Basically both sides are hedging their bets.

Basically, I rationalized it similarly to you originally, but then why the bonus, if there is no possible way to earn them?

The whole thing just seems like there is a little more to the story. Still don't mind the gamble, as it's pretty low risk, but it's just confusing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad