Oilers Record In Games W/O McPoints Is Amazing

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I believe the Oilers record in games where Connor McDavid is blanked off the score board is an amazing

3-18-2

This season. That's 28-29 point pace for a full season, lol.

That is a record that is pretty close to the worst team in the NHL's 100 year history, the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, which was an expansion team (21 points in an era where there were no 3-on-3/shootouts).

Might as well change the name of the team to the Edmonton McDavids. If he doesn't get on the scoreboard, it's almost a guaranteed loss.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm not really surprised at that record. If you go through the lineup that we just iced there are approx 4-5 forwards on our team who should probably be in the AHL. You're just not going to win many games with the lack of depth

Reactions: A91

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Squandered assets, god awful scouting and drafting, poor contracts. I just don't get how the clowns in charge have the job security that they do.

It's absolutely embarrassing that the rest of the team minus McDavid is worse than any of the Oilers teams of that past decade when they have been drafting at the positions that they have.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Squandered assets, god awful scouting and drafting, poor contracts. I just don't get how the clowns in charge have the job security that they do.

It's absolutely embarrassing that the rest of the team minus McDavid is worse than any of the Oilers teams of that past decade when they have been drafting at the positions that they have.

#Give It One More Year Tho

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Only an idiot can support the idiot's in charge of this organization. That is downright embarrassing. Traded good picks Hall, Eberle, Maroon. This is what we have we have to show for. Just ban anyone who supports the the Oiler management to any degree.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not really surprised at that record. If you go through the lineup that we just iced there are approx 4-5 forwards on our team who should probably be in the AHL. You're just not going to win many games with the lack of depth

Seems like this is the same story almost every year here though.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Thought we already changed the name of the team to the Edmonton Lucic's. We can just take McDavid for granted, no biggie. But, if Lucic is in a slump, then the world stops turning until we help him get going again.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Punt Chia, leave the drafting and developing side of things in charge of Keith Gretzky (who’s doing a good job since he was brought in) and bring in a guy that can win a trade.

We need to turn a 2019 1st into a scoring winger and a 2018 2nd + b prospect into a shutdown C. And then find another scoring winger.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Yeah but we don't need secondary scoring. Lets trade our two most productive wingers this decade for a 2nd pairing shutdown dman and a bust who is barely NHL caliber.

Reactions: Supermassive

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Not surprising considering no one else can put the puck in the net and if anything are glorified post pounders.

Reactions: Supermassive

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
There is an ice time thing involved here, surely.

Not that we aren't a terrible hockey team but I imagine most other squads would also have a pretty crappy record in games where their stars don't score.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There is an ice time thing involved here, surely.

Not that we aren't a terrible hockey team but I imagine most other squads would also have a pretty crappy record in games where their stars don't score.

This was from a couple of weeks ago, but it's a good breakdown"

The Oilers need to be better when Connor McDavid isn’t on the ice

Interesting that they were a sub 50% GF% team when he was off ice last year as well which lends credence to the theory that their success last seasons was a bit of a fluke.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I believe the Oilers record in games where Connor McDavid is blanked off the score board is an amazing

3-18-2

This season. That's 28-29 point pace for a full season, lol.

That is a record that is pretty close to the worst team in the NHL's 100 year history, the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, which was an expansion team (21 points in an era where there were no 3-on-3/shootouts).

Might as well change the name of the team to the Edmonton McDavids. If he doesn't get on the scoreboard, it's almost a guaranteed loss.
You're saying McDavid was blanked 23 times this year?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This was from a couple of weeks ago, but it's a good breakdown"

The Oilers need to be better when Connor McDavid isn’t on the ice

Interesting that they were a sub 50% GF% team when he was off ice last year as well which lends credence to the theory that their success last seasons was a bit of a fluke.

This doesn't really answer my question though. I already acknowledge that we suck when 97 is on the bench.

What I want to know is how far the gap is. Common sense would dictate that all teams are less productive when their best players aren't playing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To be truthful, I think the Oilers need to be better when McDavid IS on the ice. All the blown opportunities continue to kill us. The guy should have about 115 points by now.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think the whole big tough team direction was a plan put in place during the eakins era. Id guess mclellan and chia were all partially on board before the mcdavid lotto......as in they planned on this set up without mcdavid in mind.

What a clownshoes strategy.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There’s only been 22 pointless games for Mcdavid this year so something is off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->