Oilers owner(s)...says they will be gone without a cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
If EDM loses money with a $30MM payroll, they'll lose that much plus $4 million more with the NHL's plan. Oh and the best part, they'll also have to share playoff revenue with the Rangers... (I guess to help pay for all of the talent they trade to them?)

How is the NHL's plan good for the Oil again?

Go Flames Go*

^^^ Well I am under the asumption that the NHL has a very laid out revenue sharing plan, that is the only way I can see teams in the red like the Flames turning a profit. So far the NHL has said they are willing to discuss 30 different concepts for revenue sharing, so the this range system will work.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Go Flames Go said:
Oh I think you think I meant they need to spend up to the $38.6 million. I was reffering to them being under the floor so they have to raise it to be within the range system. They have to spend at least $34.6 million which they currently are not.

according to this from USA today

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?year=2003-04&team=12

the oiler payroll was just over 31 mill USD last year. That was 45 million canadian based on a 70 cent dollar. If they hedged right now and used a 82 cent dollar conversion, their same 45 million canadian would be a 36.8 million US payroll.

Lanny MacDonald*

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
The Iconoclast said:
Ah, so what you're saying is that its okay to to take government money to help your enterprise, and default on payment, as long as it affects only the locals and can be blamed on someone else. Gotcha. Lesson learned. Thank you very much.

You are in classic form today. You change your brand of coffee?

Lanny MacDonald*

NataSatan666 said:
You are in classic form today. You change your brand of coffee?

Coffee? Damn! I knew I forgot something this morning. I knew that whisky tasted a little off but couldn't place my finger on what was wrong. Thanks for the reminder.

:bow:

Go Flames Go*

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$maseq_e.htm

This one says Edmotons payroll was $30.8 million.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
BTW... "lose" has one "o". We all make spelling mistakes in our haste to make a post, but that one just drives me up the wall. Its an entorely different word for crying out loud!

Yes, entorely.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Mr Sakich said:
according to this from USA today

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?year=2003-04&team=12

the oiler payroll was just over 31 mill USD last year. That was 45 million canadian based on a 70 cent dollar. If they hedged right now and used a 82 cent dollar conversion, their same 45 million canadian would be a 36.8 million US payroll.

You got that backwards. Payrolls are always done in USD. That same $31 million USD payroll that cost the Oilers $44.3 million CAD last year at a 0.70 dollar would now only cost the Oilers $37.8 million CAD at a 0.82 dollar. Instant savings of $6.5 million CAD due to the exchange rate are often overlooked because it doesn't support the idea that the Oilers are in serious trouble.

SENSible1*

The Iconoclast said:
Oh, so you have been sitting in on the meetings have you? You have any idea as to what is going on behind close doors and what numbers are REALLY floating around? You are to the owners side of the argument what Wetcoaster is to the players side of the argument. One big source of disinformation and a big fertilizer spreader. I would advise you to focus on the concepts rather than the minutia of the details because we have no idea what is being offered up nor what is really important to either side at the moment. Unless you have a direct connection to Trevor Linden or Harley Hotchkiss' belly buttons, please stop quoting numbers like fact.

Comparing Wetcoaster to this poster is extremely misleading.

I disagree with Wetcoaster on virtally every issue, but respect the thorough job he does in representing the PA's position and raising the level of discourse.

Try Flyline4life or scaredsensfan for a more accurate parralel.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
gc2005 said:
You got that backwards. Payrolls are always done in USD. That same $31 million USD payroll that cost the Oilers $44.3 million CAD last year at a 0.70 dollar would now only cost the Oilers $37.8 million CAD at a 0.82 dollar. Instant savings of $6.5 million CAD due to the exchange rate are often overlooked because it doesn't support the idea that the Oilers are in serious trouble.
The strength of the CDN $$$ is a major reason why the CDN franchises have a very tough time making $$$...Let's hope it stays around .80 cents for a long time...

Hockey_Nut99

Edmonton believe that a cap will give them a better chance. Not as many teams will be able to throw big money at their players. If they can at least retain some of their talent, then they have a better shot at making the playoffs. That all equals more revenue.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
amazingcrwns said:
They won't lose all their talented players to free agency if big market teams can't throw millions of dollars at them. And if the high market teams decide to spend millions on a player the Oilers have developed then a player from that large market team would have to be let go. What a cap does is prevent the league from turning into MLB where once you become a free agent, if you're good you go to the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Angels, etc. If there's a cap then teams can only spend so much on players, leaving some free agents for the smaller markets. The problem with the oilers might not be that they keep losing money so much as them losing good players who want more money. If other team's can't offer more than the Oilers then the players aren't going to leave as much.

You have a point, but it doesn't matter. The Oilers REVENUE can barely support a 30 million dollar payroll. A lot of lower revenue teams have bad/weak attendance, well thats not the case with the Oilers. So how is a team suppose to increase payroll without any other new forms of revenue? Thats my point, everyone knows the Oilers have lost stars because of money. But in a capped system they are still in the same boat. Not enough revenue money. Making the playoff helps, but thats not a sure thing. So how does the NHL make these NHL teams are viable when they are forced to spend money they cant afford?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
gc2005 said:

The reason the oil were able to turna profit this year was because of the change in the dollar. Without it even having a big profitable event like teh heritage classic they would ha

Go Flames Go*

^^^ Thats all good and all, but they still need to make money to continue to operate. They cannot be turning a loss each year.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
cAN SOMEONe please explain how they admit to have 80 million in revenues, Canadian, have a payroll of about 41 million Canadian, with 39 million left to play with and they say they can't survive? Anyone care to outline where the other 39 million in expenses comes from for the Oilers?

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
JWI19 said:
You have a point, but it doesn't matter. The Oilers REVENUE can barely support a 30 million dollar payroll. A lot of lower revenue teams have bad/weak attendance, well thats not the case with the Oilers. So how is a team suppose to increase payroll without any other new forms of revenue? Thats my point, everyone knows the Oilers have lost stars because of money. But in a capped system they are still in the same boat. Not enough revenue money. Making the playoff helps, but thats not a sure thing. So how does the NHL make these NHL teams are viable when they are forced to spend money they cant afford?

Duh, if they players get less then they won't lose them. How complicated is this? And if a 30 million payroll is close to a league high of 35 rather than a league high of 70, mayber they will win a round or 2 playoffs and get the the real money is. Maybe tickets will be more in demand so they can raise prices. Maybe more people will watch them so their TV rights will be worth more. And on and on.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
gc2005 said:

The reason the oil were able to turna profit this year was because of the change in the dollar. Without it even having a big profitable event like teh heritage classic they would have lost money. The way thing work in the investment and business world is you should be getting a MINIMUM of a 10% return on your money if you want to stay in business.

The owners should be making 10-25 million dollar profits each based on this assumption. The player cost are eating up 75% of revenue so this says that is where that cut has to come.

I am a firm believer that the oil would be better served by a soft cap with a heavy luxery tax. This would generate teh revenue sharing necessary to keep small market teams alive.

I would say the best proposal i have seen yet is the soft cap at 38 million with a hard cap at $50 million incl luxery tax money. The tax is dollar for dollar , which in essence creates a hard cap at $44 million. Under this system team like NRY, Philly det, ect could have a bigger payroll at a cost of 6 million. it would see about 10 teams to be over the cap and the bottom 10 revenue teams split the proceeds so about 6 million per team. There would have to be a minimum payroll number of say 32 million and i would say to qualify for the money you couldn't be over the cap.

Go Flames Go*

Travel expenses, paying coaches, meals and other thigns for players, building mantiance, there is a large staff to pay also.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Unlike alot of people on these boards I guess, I have a knack of getting past the posturing both sides are doing. It's a funny world when billionaires can't get along with millionaires and my care level is actually very low.

I do miss NHL hockey a little bit. I miss the way these boards heat up during the trade deadline. I even miss being bashed for being a Leafs fan. One thing I won't forget after this gets finished is how little either side really cared about us, the fans.

You remember us, the people who have made the NHL a 2.1 billion dollar industry. The people in spite of numorous crappy TV deals, who still support the NHL with a passion. The people who are the only ones really being hurt here.

So the owners of Edmonton say "suspend our team if we don't get exactly what we want", maybe thats one bluff i'd like to see called. I'm so sick and tired of all the press releases, TV interviews and newspaper columns that are just blurbing out the same spin doctor crap.

I wonder if those same Edmonton Oiler's owners know how bad the lockout is hurting the Toronto Maple Leafs (who turned a 18 million dollar profit last year) or the Detroit Red Wings (much the same). I wonder if they really care. Even though they are supposed to be "partners"

There is alot of money up in Edmonton and some businessmen with very deep pockets. Maybe the problem with the NHL is not locations, but the owners that own the teams. Maybe the problem is lack of corporate support, or teams of investors with different agendas.

Who knows?

But one thing i'm sick of is seeing this crap being written in the papers when both sides have been too lazy to sit and talk in person.

I am not missing the NHL as much as I would think. There are other products out there. And some of them are not souly interested in the allmightydollar

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
arnie said:
Duh, if they players get less then they won't lose them. How complicated is this? And if a 30 million payroll is close to a league high of 35 rather than a league high of 70, mayber they will win a round or 2 playoffs and get the the real money is. Maybe tickets will be more in demand so they can raise prices. Maybe more people will watch them so their TV rights will be worth more. And on and on.

Sure are a lot of maybes in there arnie. I thought the point of this lockout was to make sure all 30 teams could survive. The NHL is only as strong as their weakest link. I'm sorry there is a way to make sure all 30 teams can survive but i dont see the NHL owners willing to take that road.

Lanny MacDonald*

NataSatan666 said:
Unlike alot of people on these boards I guess, I have a knack of getting past the posturing both sides are doing. It's a funny world when billionaires can't get along with millionaires and my care level is actually very low.

I do miss NHL hockey a little bit. I miss the way these boards heat up during the trade deadline. I even miss being bashed for being a Leafs fan. One thing I won't forget after this gets finished is how little either side really cared about us, the fans.

You remember us, the people who have made the NHL a 2.1 billion dollar industry. The people in spite of numorous crappy TV deals, who still support the NHL with a passion. The people who are the only ones really being hurt here.

So the owners of Edmonton say "suspend our team if we don't get exactly what we want", maybe thats one bluff i'd like to see called. I'm so sick and tired of all the press releases, TV interviews and newspaper columns that are just blurbing out the same spin doctor crap.

I wonder if those same Edmonton Oiler's owners know how bad the lockout is hurting the Toronto Maple Leafs (who turned a 18 million dollar profit last year) or the Detroit Red Wings (much the same). I wonder if they really care. Even though they are supposed to be "partners"

There is alot of money up in Edmonton and some businessmen with very deep pockets. Maybe the problem with the NHL is not locations, but the owners that own the teams. Maybe the problem is lack of corporate support, or teams of investors with different agendas.

Who knows?

But one thing i'm sick of is seeing this crap being written in the papers when both sides have been too lazy to sit and talk in person.

I am not missing the NHL as much as I would think. There are other products out there. And some of them are not souly interested in the allmightydollar

:clap:

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
NataSatan666 said:

Who knows?

go to qr77.com right now and listen to nichol's side of the story. He is on in a couple of minutes. If you think he is full of crap after listening to him, then post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad