Proposal: Oilers Offseason (NYR, WPG, MTL)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Excluding moving undesirables/deadweight, trades are made based on supply and demand, and where applicable, also on various x factors that may apply [can't extend, player wants to go to particular city for personal reasons, etc etc etc].

Ordinary/regular productive players can be had for ordinary cost.

Special players are rarer, harder to replace, and command more. And you WILL pay more if you want the guy cause no one is gonna do somebody a favor and discount the sale.

An ordinary swap, you can be ballpark fair.
dollar for a dollar [swap of L and R similar position, complementary needs].
80ish cents for a buck 5, either side.

A special player maybe 4 50 cent pieces for a dollar, but you are gonna overpay.

Kreider is on a nice contract for 2 more seasons, and is a special player. There are no negatives. He has more upside. NY will not let him go cheap, if at all. He is on a par with Draisatil, whether you like to hear it or not. They are both close enough to equally strong [I prefer CK, but its not enough to quibble over]; Draisatil is a better shooter and Kreider is a better skater.

The first 2 months LeoDrai was here, he was kind of lost, and had to go back down. Sensibly, Oil kept him. Now he shows himself to be the star he is.

Puulj is not as clear cut. He has a lot of check marks in the comparable to Draisatil and other stars. But his skating IS suspect, and that is huge. Rangers will not pay, let alone overpay for him on any basis which suggests he has actually arrived. We would be interested on something that reflects his current actual value, which is basic prospect plus some potential that reflects his legit upside. However, I am not sure yet he will or will not develop on his skating. The difference is if not, he is a more limited dimension very lite John LeClair type, one whose effectiveness is best in the crease, as opposed to a Draisatil type, who can work more effectively most of the offensive zone. I realize you have to have profit to move Puulj, but reward risk is a factor, as risk goes up with the price. So we pass unless we can agree on the pieces.
His upside, IF he can skate, is MAYBE LeoDrai.
But his downside is Sam Reinhart, productive but not a great skater, and not worth that high a pick where selected.

Zib commands more than 9OA.
In his case, I see possible deals with AZ and BUF as more likely for a better return.

You probably are best keeping Puulj, and if you have no other options for some inexplicable reason I cannot fathom and are determined to move him, let us know, and if you are getting lowball offers only, we can probably do better; however, we are not gonna match, let alone beat, some overpayment.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
Puulj is not as clear cut. He has a lot of check marks in the comparable to Draisatil and other stars. But his skating IS suspect, and that is huge.
His upside, IF he can skate, is MAYBE LeoDrai.
But his downside is Sam Reinhart, productive but not a great skater, and not worth that high a pick where selected.

Have you ever watched Puljujarvi? Skating is definitely not the issue with Pool party lol, I don't know how anyone who has watched more than 2 games of his could come to this conclusion. This isn't even a remotely close analysis of him.

Reactions: Monument

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Have you ever watched Puljujarvi? Skating is definitely not the issue with Pool party lol, I don't know how anyone who has watched more than 2 games of his could come to this conclusion. This isn't even a remotely close analysis of him.

I have not seen him nite in and nite out. I was unimpressed with his skating in any televised games I caught, although I did not yet consider it a fatal defect. However, when people are pressed to say what aspect of his game is suspect enough to derail potential stardom, this is what is agreed upon. No one is saying he doesn't have reach, size or strength; those are obvious. And while I have not noticed anything deadly from the blue line, he does have a shot, possibly a scorer's touch.
But the skating, not so much.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I have not seen him nite in and nite out. I was unimpressed with his skating in any televised games I caught, although I did not yet consider it a fatal defect. However, when people are pressed to say what aspect of his game is suspect enough to derail potential stardom, this is what is agreed upon. No one is saying he doesn't have reach, size or strength; those are obvious. And while I have not noticed anything deadly from the blue line, he does have a shot, possibly a scorer's touch.

JP is a great skater, has a fantastic shot, and plays a pretty well rounded 200 foot game. Once he figures out that he’s bigger and faster than everyone else and gets his man strength, he’ll be a force.

His offensive awareness is not spectacular either.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

You haven't watched him at all he is a terrific skater.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Strome is a bust we don't need RHD and we already have 4 2nds in 2018, big no on the Chucky proposal

Can't believe anyone thinks this is an overpayment from the Oil, 9OA +would be minimum, Alex was probably our best player last 2 months of the year once our coach gave him the opportunity

Reactions: Deam78

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
:edmontonAlex Galchenyuk

:habsRyan Strome, Ethan Bear, 2nd Round pick 2018

:edmonton Chris Kreider, Neal Pionk

:rangersJesse Puljujarvi, Matt Benning

:edmontonAndrej Sekera, 9th Overall pick 2018, 2019 1st (protected)

:jetsJacob Trouba

Lines next year:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Kreider
Galchenyuk - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Lucic - Khaira - Kassian
Aberg - Derek Ryan (UFA) - Cagguila

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Trouba
Russell - Pionk

Talbot
Hutton (UFA)

That is a killer top 6 and a solid top 4, with a 3rd line that would cycle the **** out of opposing teams, and decent bottom lines and pairings. This is a much improved team over last year IMO.
Nobody would take Strome for free ....he is garbage.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
:edmontonAlex Galchenyuk

:habsRyan Strome, Ethan Bear, 2nd Round pick 2018

:edmonton Chris Kreider, Neal Pionk

:rangersJesse Puljujarvi, Matt Benning

:edmontonKLefbom, Larsson, 9th Overall pick 2018 and 2019 1st and 2020 1st round pick.

:jetsJacob Trouba

Lines next year:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Kreider
Galchenyuk - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Lucic - Khaira - Kassian
Aberg - Derek Ryan (UFA) - Cagguila

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Trouba
Russell - Pionk

Talbot
Hutton (UFA)

That is a killer top 6 and a solid top 4, with a 3rd line that would cycle the **** out of opposing teams, and decent bottom lines and pairings. This is a much improved team over last year IMO.
That deal for Trouba isn't too bad.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You’re not getting Kreider alone for that package, and we’re definitely not adding Pionk.
Agreed, Kreider is not a thought here for that.

I would do
Namest. + Spooner +
Oil choice, one of Pionk or DeAngelo
+ Bruins 2018 1st

for

Puulj.

Sure it will be shot down as quantity for quality, but EDM does need depth, and it's only real currency that has interest is the potential of either 9OA or Puulj.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

I would do
Namest. + Spooner +
+ Bruins 2018 1st

for

Puulj.

Sure it will be shot down as quantity for quality, but EDM does need depth, and it's only real currency that has interest is the potential of either 9OA or Puulj.
Nope to that proposal either

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

I would do
Namest. + Spooner +
+ Bruins 2018 1st

for

Puulj.

That is massive over payment. Easy pass. But thank Christ you didn't give them our 2nd rders for the next 4yrs.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Strome is a bust we don't need RHD and we already have 4 2nds in 2018, big no on the Chucky proposal

Can't believe anyone thinks this is an overpayment from the Oil, 9OA +would be minimum, Alex was probably our best player last 2 months of the year once our coach gave him the opportunity
Only hab trolls in the thread do. They’re in ever habs trade thread and consistently clueless. It’s a bad trade for Montreal. Period

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
No way the Habs do that. Strome is pretty much a bust. bear is likely to be a bubble player....ya no way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad