Pre-Game Talk: Oilers in the SENS Den, Thurs 7:30 TSN | Cheap Beer Edition

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This does not bode well for the team when the highest paid player & their best goal scorer are both seen by fans to be weak & lazy defensively. Add to that the goalies who have been terrible & the captain having a crappy season defensively too & you get one of the worse teams in the league. Is it the players who are not performing to expectations or is it the coach who can't seem to motivate them to be better? Or both?

Management IMO clearly seems to have taken the coaches side & wants to ship out some players if he can get the return he wants & get other teams to take on some bad contracts. Hoffman, Ryan & Karlsson have all been mentioned in trade rumours for a reason, I suspect. The goalies have not but they should be since they too have been so bad. We've also heard about troubles in the room this yr & maybe this is why because a few of these "star players" are not trying hard enough defensively & quitting on plays. They're not playing as a team but individuals who have lost their mojo & are just going through the actions at times or in some games. I'm always amazed at how weak mentally this team has been yr after yr & how easily it is for some of them to just give up or quit on plays. Hopefully, the next group of players to take over this team will have more jam to their game & be much tougher physically & mentally.

If only we had a team full of Smith's and Boro's...we'd be fighting for 1st overall!

Hope you enjoyed the fantastic D the last two games without EK!

Last edited:

Awesomeakel

Feb 16, 2016
I would love to visit Norway, but I will drink the water instead of the beer. Hopefully it will be a lot less expensive.
It is really Nice in the country side and up north, but unless you are a fan of hiking and enjoying scenic environment outdoors, it is kinda boring here :p i Could be biased though.... really want to move to Canada.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ceci played 33 minutes last night

This is a ridiculous number, but it's not surprising he is playing this much time with Karlsson out. He's our best overall defender right now. Chabot being 2nd. Chabot has significantly more upside and is much better in transition, but Ceci is more consistent at this point.

I only watched the first half of the game, but Ceci was good I thought. So if he was terrible in the second half, I didn't see that. First half, I don't think he was on for a goal against at all, and that was with matching up against EDM's top lines, he also had a few decent plays in the o-zone, although offensive flare isn't something I am expecting out of Ceci at this point. Don't mistake that as me saying Ceci is a player who should be playing 33 minutes a night.....

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

That's just bonkers... and almost 5 mins of it was PK, only 13 seconds on the PP. This would make a bit of sense if Wolanin had been getting the 7 mins that Chabot got his first game, but Wolanin played 17 mins. Harpur played the least but still got 12:41

He didn't have a bad game, even though he was on for a couple of those McDavid points late in the game (got left out to dry on a couple odd man rushes, a 2 on 1 when Chabot got beat and Paajarvi was looking for offense instead of covering his man, and a 3 on one when Wolanin got burned, also on when Hoffman did his best impression of a pylon).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Seriously. Doesn't look good on video but there were 2 lines of defence behind Hoff. A D who did nothing to prevent McDave from shooting, and a goalie who couldn't stop an easy shot five hole from the outside.
what? Chabot moved up (no idea why) and Hoffman was his cover. Ceci closed down the cross crease pass. Sorry but thats all on Hoffman and Chabot. Duchene was covering the center of the ice

Was Ceci supposed to teleport into the shooting lane? or was he supposed to trust Hoffman would make an effort ?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
what? Chabot moved up (no idea why) and Hoffman was his cover. Ceci closed down the cross crease pass. Sorry but thats all on Hoffman and Chabot. Duchene was covering the center of the ice

Was Ceci supposed to teleport into the shooting lane? or was he supposed to trust Hoffman would make an effort ?

Where did I mention Ceci?

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Well, Wolanin had a few good shifts. I didnt watch much of the game but at least there was a small positive to take away.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If only we had a team full of Smith's and Boro's...we'd be fighting for 1st overall!

Hope you enjoyed the fantastic D the last two games without EK!
The team sucked all yr including the defence with Karlsson on it, what's your point?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The team sucked all yr including the defence with Karlsson on it, what's your point?
Except it hasn't.

When Karlsson was recovering from his injury his D was terrible. As he's gotten healthy, his D has improved.

But just continue to bash all the skill players while pouring love on your plugs.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Except it hasn't.

When Karlsson was recovering from his injury his D was terrible. As he's gotten healthy, his D has improved.

But just continue to bash all the skill players while pouring love on your plugs.

It's been well documented on here all year that the D has been terrible all yr & people have complained about every single defenceman on the Sens in almost every game at one point or another & continue to. I like the tougher players is that a problem for you? They are on the team too. Is there a rule on here on who you can like or not like? Are you in charge of who people are suppose to support or not support? You don't like it too f***ing bad, I could care less.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sorry, I was just joking. I checked out of the game around the 2nd period to grill a panini. Just making a joke around how a bunch of people here gauge other's fandom by how much money they invest in the team.

I Might be wrong, but I thing he meant it as a joke poking fun at those who throw quotes around the word as opposed actually trying to be critical of your post...

Either way, it's pretty clear that the practice is clearly toxic

I think you fell for it ;)

****, as depressing as it is, y'all are going to have to use the sarcasm emoji, or some other way of indicating sarcasm, if we're going to avoid occurrences like this in the future. :laugh:

There's too much genuine idiocy around here these days to be able to parse the legitimate asshattery from the hilarious lampooning of said asshattery. You got me, FQL. You got me good.

All of this being said, I didn't buy a ticket for last night's game, so I probably am actually a terrible fan. Out of shame, I'll organize a charitable donation schedule to give away my multiple thousands of dollars worth of Sens jerseys and various other memorabilia. First one to sign up gets first crack at my Sens game-worns.

I'll be taking donations, with all proceeds to be given directly to Eugene Melnyk as tithing for my sins to the team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ceci wasnt the problem last night...For christ sakes......Boro was the team 2nd most experienced defender after him

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Anderson let in at least 3 weak goals, including the 2nd from McDavid. That was a weak shot that he should stop. Defense has been terrible, but goaltending is just as terrible, if not worst, most of the nights

Reactions: Alex1234

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Sad thing was that he was still probably our best defenceman last night overall.

- Wolanin looked good on breakouts, but got thoroughly walked often in transition defensively. Kid looked promising, but it's clearly obvious that he needs work on his pro game, which is obviously to be expected as it was his first pro game ever, but it needs to be kept in mind.

- Chabot has the offensive power of a two-hour fireworks display, and the defensive prowess of a defective bottle-rocket. I wish our AHL team was good so he could have been sent down and benefited from a deep playoff run where he could be a leader and develop his defensive game a bit more. Learn how to play close, playoff-style hockey when the stakes get raised a thousand percent.

- Boro has had a real nice year, and he's cemented his NHL pedigree IMO, but he's still at best a #5 guy on a team worth it's weight in the standings.

- Harpur continues to have no consistency at the NHL level whatsoever. Good one night, barely recognizable the next.

- Claesson is like a small oil fire that you tried to extinguish with a jug of water, and now your entire kitchen is on fire and you're just standing outside your house on the curb across the street, watching the flames getting bigger through the front window while calling 911 and hoping that your insurance will cover the damage.

Wolanin and Chabot are the only two guys on the roster with potential to be better than Ceci. Chabot seems almost a sure thing to be better, possibly as soon as next year provided he can start cleaning up his sloppy defensive work. Wolanin, it's way too early to tell - I'm simply stating that it's possible.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Anderson has checked out for months now. He's a bit of a diva I find, if he doesn't get his sympathy cookies in the media he drops the ball and sulks. Condon at least puts in a consistent effort, day and day out. He isn't capable of being a full-load goaltender, sadly, but maybe we'll get Gustavsson-Condon, which would be the Lehner-Bishop we should have had.

Reactions: Alex1234

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Sad thing was that he was still probably our best defenceman last night overall.

- Wolanin looked good on breakouts, but got thoroughly walked often in transition defensively. Kid looked promising, but it's clearly obvious that he needs work on his pro game, which is obviously to be expected as it was his first pro game ever, but it needs to be kept in mind.

- Chabot has the offensive power of a two-hour fireworks display, and the defensive prowess of a defective bottle-rocket. I wish our AHL team was good so he could have been sent down and benefited from a deep playoff run where he could be a leader and develop his defensive game a bit more. Learn how to play close, playoff-style hockey when the stakes get raised a thousand percent.

- Boro has had a real nice year, and he's cemented his NHL pedigree IMO, but he's still at best a #5 guy on a team worth it's weight in the standings.

- Harpur continues to have no consistency at the NHL level whatsoever. Good one night, barely recognizable the next.

- Claesson is like a small oil fire that you tried to extinguish with a jug of water, and now your entire kitchen is on fire and you're just standing outside your house on the curb across the street, watching the flames getting bigger through the front window while calling 911 and hoping that your insurance will cover the damage.

Wolanin and Chabot are the only two guys on the roster with potential to be better than Ceci. Chabot seems almost a sure thing to be better, possibly as soon as next year provided he can start cleaning up his sloppy defensive work. Wolanin, it's way too early to tell - I'm simply stating that it's possible.

Hahaha, these descriptions gave me a boro fide chuckle.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Speaking of this, did anyone catch this tweet yesterday?

Man, I wish Hoffamn's attitude matched his skill level. He has all-world skill. He could be twice the player he is right now.

Whatever he did seems to have worked. Boucher pushing the right buttons.

I wonder if Crawford screamed at Chabot on this one as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->