Confirmed with Link: Oilers have signed Slater Koekkoek

Deadman

Nov 14, 2019
I'm a Chicago Blackhawk fan and I wanted to set everyone straight on the Koekkoek signing. Way back when the old Oilers GM made a trade for Brandon Manning. Hawk fans were laughing at you. But I think this time Oiler management got it right because you guys got a sturdy d man with Koekkoek. He is a solid defensive defenseman who makes very few mistakes. He's got a good sized body and is effective along the boards. He occasionally throws some wicked open ice body checks as well. Sometimes he will surprise with an offensive burst, but that's generally not his style. He's not a power play guy but has a good slapshot from the point. His one drawback is sometimes taking a chance offensively that will put him out of position. The Hawks screwed themselves by not resigning him. Chicago has these young undersized rookie d men they want to bring up and they will suffer for it. I've always liked the Oilers but your defense is always bad. Signing Koekkoek is a small step toward correcting that problem. I think Oiler fans will like his play, plus it's always fun to say "Koekkoek.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'm a Chicago Blackhawk fan and I wanted to set everyone straight on the Koekkoek signing. Way back when the old Oilers GM made a trade for Brandon Manning. Hawk fans were laughing at you. But I think this time Oiler management got it right because you guys got a sturdy d man with Koekkoek. He is a solid defensive defenseman who makes very few mistakes. He's got a good sized body and is effective along the boards. He occasionally throws some wicked open ice body checks as well. Sometimes he will surprise with an offensive burst, but that's generally not his style. He's not a power play guy but has a good slapshot from the point. His one drawback is sometimes taking a chance offensively that will put him out of position. The Hawks screwed themselves by not resigning him. Chicago has these young undersized rookie d men they want to bring up and they will suffer for it. I've always liked the Oilers but your defense is always bad. Signing Koekkoek is a small step toward correcting that problem. I think Oiler fans will like his play, plus it's always fun to say "Koekkoek.
You make it sound like he has potential to become a full time NHL player. This may be his last opportunity for that and if Tippett can get him under control and just focusing on the fundamentals he could be a successful reclamation project. A #5 just entering his prime could make a difference to a club scratching and clawing their way back to respectability like the Oilers. Koekkoek's received all kinds of chances and it's all on him now.

RogueJedi

Apr 27, 2010
That boxcar would finally see some use

I am hoping he kicks Russell into taxi squad. Would love to see us start the year with:

Nurse Bear
Jones Larsson
Koekkoek Barrie

We always seem to pencil Russell into the lineup and I know Tippett loves him, but maybe its time for him to sit more games than he plays.

Reactions: Oilhawks

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

We were laughing at us too.

I still can't believe we traded for Manning. Has to be one of the worst trades of all time. Made no sense even if Manning wasn't the one person in the world McDavid ever voiced public displeasure with, and if Drake wasn't McDavids roommate and one of the lockerooms favourite players.

Reactions: Deadman

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
This is total paywall. Couldn't read the story. Any work around on it so people can actually see the story without subscribing to Athletic or having X.
archive.ph I find is a pretty useful website. Of course nothing to do with your comment

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This is total paywall. Couldn't read the story. Any work around on it so people can actually see the story without subscribing to Athletic or having X.
My bad, I forgot the Athletic is paywalled. My beer league buddy who is in sports media hooks me up with a cheap subscription.

As mentioned by Oilslick, Koekkoek has an interview with Gazdic that goes into his struggles with anxiety and the resulting eating disorder that plagued him across his career.

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
Depending on which browser you use, you can just enable "reader mode" before the paywall pop-up comes up. On firefox, hit F9 or click the little icon that looks like a notebook on the far right of the URL.

I believe edge has this as well, not sure about chrome as I haven't used it in years.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad