Confirmed with Link: Oilers claim Brandon Davidson off of waivers

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Reinhart turns 24 next month... it's not as if he's 18 and has a huge amount of unknown upside. He's a defensive dman with little offense in his game... similar to Davidson except Davidson has 3 times the games in the NHL and has shown he's a decent bottom pairing option with decent defense.

Reinhart essentially has the upside of Davidson but it's unknown if he'll ever get there so just take Davidson.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
People talk about Davidson like he's some kind of proven quantity who had a solid body of work when he was an Oiler, but when you look back all we're really talking about is the latter portion of the 51 games he played in 15/16, prior to getting hurt that first time. In 14/15 he was a non-factor, and in 16/17 he was even less than that.

If we're being honest here, the actual sample size we have of Davidson being a bona fide top 6 dman is rather small...even Matt Benning has a more proven body of work in the NHL. I'm going to keep my expectations low on what he can provide here, I won't deny it's a feel good story though. If nothing else he seems like a positive personality to have in the dressing room.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
People talk about Davidson like he's some kind of proven quantity who had a solid body of work when he was an Oiler, but when you look back all we're really talking about is the latter portion of the 51 games he played in 15/16, prior to getting hurt that first time. In 14/15 he was a non-factor, and in 16/17 he was even less than that.

If we're being honest here, the actual sample size we have of Davidson being a bona fide top 6 dman is rather small...even Matt Benning has a more proven body of work in the NHL. I'm going to keep my expectations low on what he can provide here, I won't deny it's a feel good story though. If nothing else he seems like a positive personality to have in the dressing room.

He seems like a really nice kid, his smile said it all in his interview. I think he will be much better here than in Montreal. He called Edmonton his home on multiple occasions, the comfort factor could make him better than expected. Nothing wrong with adding a 6/7 D for free. He did look pretty good before he got hurt. Is he going to be in the top 4? Probably not. But he can't really be any worse than Auvituu or Gryba.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
He seems like a really nice kid, his smile said it all in his interview. I think he will be much better here than in Montreal. He called Edmonton his home on multiple occasions, the comfort factor could make him better than expected. Nothing wrong with adding a 6/7 D for free. He did look pretty good before he got hurt. Is he going to be in the top 4? Probably not. But he can't really be any worse than Auvituu or Gryba.

True enough, and it shouldn't be forgotten that for whatever reason, some players just click with certain teams. It could be that Davidson and the Oilers are one of those cases.

The thing that'll always be frustrating is that for that brief period 2 years ago just before he got hurt, he was really starting to look solid back there. He was consistently giving them 20+ minutes per night for about a month before his injury in that Winnipeg game where Byfuglien ran him over and buggered up his leg:

https://thehockeywriters.com/brandon-davidson-injured-sunday/

I don't think he was ever quite the same after that.

Last edited:

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
I noticed his skating seemed weird as well....really short strides. A few times I was thinking wow that looked off.

Klefbom skating looks different, not in a good way. Last night his shot was off, missed the net more times than I can remember. Any word on what he is dealing with yet???

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I noticed his skating seemed weird as well....really short strides. A few times I was thinking wow that looked off.

Klefbom skating looks different, not in a good way. Last night his shot was off, missed the net more times than I can remember. Any word on what he is dealing with yet???

Re: Klefbom...
It hasnt been talked about at all as far as I am aware of but I have been wondering lately if maybe his foot is giving him issues. He lost a lot of tissue around his foot apparently and perhaps he is experiencing some issues with that.

Again...havent heard anything...just something I have wondered about.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Davidson has been rock solid in the past 3 games and playing in the perfect spot on the bottom-pairing...much better skater than Gryba and just as physical
maybe some players are just more comfortable on certain teams

great pick-up

Reactions: nabob

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’m eating crow about Davidson. I thought he wouldn’t be an upgrade on anything we have but so far he’s been very good. He really stabilizes the third pairing. Once we are all healthy our defence should be respectable.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Russel
Sekera-Davidson

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’m eating crow about Davidson. I thought he wouldn’t be an upgrade on anything we have but so far he’s been very good. He really stabilizes the third pairing. Once we are all healthy our defence should be respectable.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Russel
Sekera-Davidson

I would reunite the Sekera-Russell pairing.

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Klefbom-Davidson
Davidson would be a pretty ideal fit for Klefbom to bring some stability to that pairing. It's funny, I was actually thinking of a Klefbom-Davidson top oairing a couple of years ago, my how things have changed and people still hate Chia for not upgrading the defense.

Not sure what they do with Benning as he has put up some decent offensive numbers and plays with an edge so maybe rotate him and Davidson depending on matchups? Handedness isn't the end all be all but 5 lefties and only 1 righty could be a bit problematic.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Davidson looks fantastic. Honestly not sure whats going to happen when Larsson and Sekera are back feel bad that he might be the odd man out. Here would be my ideal pairings

Nurse Russell
Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Davidson
Benning

Reactions: snipes

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would reunite the Sekera-Russell pairing.

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Klefbom-Davidson
Davidson would be a pretty ideal fit for Klefbom to bring some stability to that pairing. It's funny, I was actually thinking of a Klefbom-Davidson top oairing a couple of years ago, my how things have changed and people still hate Chia for not upgrading the defense.

Not sure what they do with Benning as he has put up some decent offensive numbers and plays with an edge so maybe rotate him and Davidson depending on matchups? Handedness isn't the end all be all but 5 lefties and only 1 righty could be a bit problematic.

Sekera might need a few weeks to get back to where he was last season, maybe longer.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Davidson has played much better than some of our D we currently have. Looks great

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad