Injury Report: Oilers cheap with Injury reports.....

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
They now only have 2 types of injury. Upper body and lower body.
Next they will report a body injury. Feet head groin shoulder. All body injury. And everybody is out indefinitely.

I would like to know more about injuries. Not details but at least what is hurt and a guess on the term. If I was tier 1 fan I deserve to know. (I'm well down on the tier list)

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Pretty sure this was announced as the new policy when Chiarelli and McLellan were hired. The only time it's an issue is when the player is day to day but then revealing too much gives the opponent an easier time. Guys with longer injuries don't need too many details

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
It's fine by me, before it was like, "oh he's fine, 2 days rest and good to play"
-"oops, we mean 4 months"

Or

"Ya he injured his left leg, about 4 inches up on the knee and on the outer left of the leg, he gonna play next game, but I mean if some one pins him against the board and get their knee in there, hahaha oh boy he'd be done for the year"

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
At what point did the team know Klefa was done for the season last year?

Felt like he was day to day for months.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
They now only have 2 types of injury. Upper body and lower body.
Next they will report a body injury. Feet head groin shoulder. All body injury. And everybody is out indefinitely.

I would like to know more about injuries. Not details but at least what is hurt and a guess on the term. If I was tier 1 fan I deserve to know. (I'm well down on the tier list)

As an STH, I could care less. And easy on the entitlement there. it is in a sense confidential company info, I sure as **** wouldn't be sharing where guys are injured.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
All teams are. NOT just the oilers

yeah. it's the way it is now.

I remember when teams were more forthcoming, not just in hockey, and seems players were being targeted at their point of injury.
so why give out more info than you have to?

I'd rather not know than have people up in arms because the team said it would be a week and it's a month.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Whats the incentive in releasing the info? What value does it bring to them to have fans know

Its only headaches to list injury timelines because if you are safe and go over timeline youll get questioned and if you are under people will think you rushed a guy back

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Whats the incentive in releasing the info? What value does it bring to them to have fans know

Its only headaches to list injury timelines because if you are safe and go over timeline youll get questioned and if you are under people will think you rushed a guy back

Then you have that guy on Twitter who goes on and on and on and on about it.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm glad they're cheap with injury info.

Guys will return when they're ready to safely return.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Oilers no longer broadcast every single bit of information. It's kind of refreshing.

Unlike Craig 'trades are hard' MacTavish.

capttim

Nov 11, 2014
I do not agree.... as fans we are the ones supporting the team...

Let's use this as an example; you are going to fork out $200.00+ to take your kid to a hockey game because your going to watch your favorite player... he's injured prior to your purchase of a ticket. This would certainly influence your decision to fork out that kind of cash.

Keeping it secret is non-productive to the fans... And without us there is no game period.

I enjoyed watching Davidson play.... and want to know when he will be back...

Caggiula was dynamite in the pre-season... and want to see what he can
do

The only advantage to not saying anything is that they don't have to keep updating the status, deal with pressures of forced early return, have another team a wondering who will be in the line-up.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
I do not agree.... as fans we are the ones supporting the team...

Let's use this as an example; you are going to fork out $200.00+ to take your kid to a hockey game because your going to watch your favorite player... he's injured prior to your purchase of a ticket. This would certainly influence your decision to fork out that kind of cash.

Keeping it secret is non-productive to the fans... And without us there is no game period.

I enjoyed watching Davidson play.... and want to know when he will be back...

Caggiula was dynamite in the pre-season... and want to see what he can
do

The only advantage to not saying anything is that they don't have to keep updating the status, deal with pressures of forced early return, have another team a wondering who will be in the line-up.

If you are fan of only a certain player, for peace of mind, hold off on purchasing your ticket until he returns to the line up.
If you are a fan of the team, purchase your ticket anytime, as they will be guaranteed to be playing in front of you that night!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Do you ever watch TV? this also applies to my said statement.

You don't watch Oil games on TV because you do not know when a player is returning?

If the Oilers gave an update on the status of the player and he isn't playing for 2 months, you will not watch an Oiler game on TV for that time period?

I don't really know what to say, apart from the fact that a status update should not determine your status as a hockey fan.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I thought I heard on Oilers lunch that Davidson was a shoulder injury and that Hendricks was weeks

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
From hockey-reference.com:

Brandon Davidson 2016-10-13 Lower Body Davidson has been placed on the injured reserve list after suffering a lower-body injury and will miss an extended amount of time.

Mark Fayne 2016-10-18 Undisclosed Fayne is sidelined with an unspecified injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list.

Andrew Ference 2016-09-15 Hip Ference is recovering from surgery to repair micro-fractures in his right hip and is on the long-term injured reserve.

Matt Hendricks 2016-10-05 Lower Body Hendricks sustained a lower-body injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list. He remains without an official timetable for a return.

Zack Kassian 2016-11-05 Lower Body Kassian has sat out the previous two games with a lower-body injury and it is unknown if he will play against the Penguins on Tuesday.

Iiro Pakarinen 2016-10-07 Knee Pakarinen is dealing with a knee injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list with no official timetable for a return.

Jesse Puljujarvi 2016-11-05 Lower Body Puljujarvi was held out of the last game with a lower-body injury and it is undetermined if he will play Tuesday against the Penguins.

Kris Russell 2016-11-05 Lower Body Russell is battling a lower-body injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
From hockey-reference.com:

Brandon Davidson 2016-10-13 Lower Body Davidson has been placed on the injured reserve list after suffering a lower-body injury and will miss an extended amount of time.

Mark Fayne 2016-10-18 Undisclosed Fayne is sidelined with an unspecified injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list.

Andrew Ference 2016-09-15 Hip Ference is recovering from surgery to repair micro-fractures in his right hip and is on the long-term injured reserve.

Matt Hendricks 2016-10-05 Lower Body Hendricks sustained a lower-body injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list. He remains without an official timetable for a return.

Zack Kassian 2016-11-05 Lower Body Kassian has sat out the previous two games with a lower-body injury and it is unknown if he will play against the Penguins on Tuesday.

Iiro Pakarinen 2016-10-07 Knee Pakarinen is dealing with a knee injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list with no official timetable for a return.

Jesse Puljujarvi 2016-11-05 Lower Body Puljujarvi was held out of the last game with a lower-body injury and it is undetermined if he will play Tuesday against the Penguins.

Kris Russell 2016-11-05 Lower Body Russell is battling a lower-body injury and has been placed on the injured reserve list.

Well that one's incorrect. Davidson is out with what I presume to be an AC-joint sprain. Oilers site has it as an upper body injury, and from the replay you can see him fall on an outstretched arm, which is one of the typical cause of an AC sprain.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
That site doesn't list Caggiula either... I assume because he hasn't officially been on the Oilers roster since the season has started.

9 injuries at the same time... that's a pile and it certainly seems that the Oilers are already on pace to rival last year in terms of man-games lost to injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->