Confirmed with Link: Oilers activate Cam Talbot & assign Nick Ellis to Bakersfield Condors.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
If we get back last years Cam then I'll be a happy guy. Would also be nice if we could win 4-3 every night instead of win 7-2 then lose 9-0.

Reactions: Mez

snag

Feb 22, 2014
just read on twitter.... hopefully this will be an early Christmas gift.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Nick Ellis probably going back to Bakersfield thinking 'damn i'm never gonna win a backup job here with how much the coaching staff loves LB'. At least he got paid well to warm the bench.

I should be more happy about this news but sadly I've already given up hope for this season

Last edited:

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
As a UFA who's played great in the minors not get an opportunity... Must've been really frustrating for Ellis to watch them go back to LB and his bad goaltending game after game after game.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
As I posted in another thread.
If the Oilers match their record from their last 50 games last season going forward and they would likely make the playoffs.
Eternal Optimism! (really crying inside though...)

Reactions: Night Witch

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I’m irrationally angry that Ellis didn’t play the last 20 knowing that McClellan knew Talbot would be back and that game was lost.

I really like Todd, but my god his stubbornness is ridiculous. LB is not an NHL goalie at all, no reason to just keep playing him. If the goal was to get his confidence up I think they achieved the exact opposite.

Ellis looked much better than LB in the preseason as well IMO... Give him a chance ffs. Clearly the backup you thought you had is brutal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As a UFA who's played great in the minors not get an opportunity... Must've been really frustrating for Ellis to watch them go back to LB and his bad goaltending game after game after game.
Id walk this off season if I were him. Another org would probably love to give him a shot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I really hope Talbot can return to form.
NHL.com - Stats

According to this, goalies who have played 10+ games...Talbot is 37 and Brossoit is 47...out of 49. Only worse goalies are Chad Johnson and Vegas 4th string, Legace. Talbot has a bad 0.903 and a goals against average of 3. So essentially this team NEEDS 4 goals a game to win. Sadly, the team is sitting at a 2.9 goals per game.

Talbot REALLY needs to step it up. He has the ability to do it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I thought Starrett looked good in pre-season as well although obviously tiny sample from him.

With Ellis though, there was no reason not to give him a shot when Talbot was out. It's not as if Brossoit is some sort of phenom goalie prospect... he's decent at best but having Ellis take a game would likely have been good for competition in net and show that every spot on the roster has to be worked for... instead of just handed out like candy.

That's definitely a failure on coaching/management imo. Worst team save pct in the NHL should mean trying some different options and see if something else might work out better... or at least might kickstart some better effort in the goalies they have on the roster now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
50 games left for the Oilers this season. 45 for Talbot.

Give Croissant five games. One each for the five back-to-backs the Oilers have left. Then find a better backup this off-season.

Reactions: thadd

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m irrationally angry that Ellis didn’t play the last 20 knowing that McClellan knew Talbot would be back and that game was lost.

I was at the game and asking myself the same thing. The only thing I can think of is he didn't want to damage Croissants psyche by tugging him in the last 20 as he knew he would need Croissant to play a few more games down the road. Either that or he was worried the Oilers would go full Oiler and Ellis would get shelled in his first NHL action.

So probably TMac did the right thing.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
2812750476_4551f7e73f_b.jpg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This inflated narrative around LB is becoming ridiculous IMO.

As for Talbot...hopefully this reset allows him to find last years form. Do not want this years version of Talbot at all.

Reactions: oilers'72

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008

As for Talbot...hopefully this reset allows him to find last years form. Do not want this years version of Talbot at all.
The inflated narrative that he’s awful? He is generally though. Hey, there’s only 31 positions in the world for these guys and another 31 who get a small piece of the pie. He’s not one of those 62. He seemed more surprised than haters at home when a puck hit him and no tracking ability. His lateral movement was really good, if he could ever learn to stop it once he’d started. I’m not sure what moments fans saw that have them liking him. The “Hamburglar” looked 300x the goalie Broissoit has ever looked in that playoff run and he’s barely holding on to any grip in this league.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I honestly believe Ellis was the better goaltender last year in Bako, and this year in preseason he was clearly the better of the two in my eyes. LBs 1 way contract is what kept him here IMO. Hence why I think we sent the wrong guy down. I honestly believe Ellis is the better of the two and by several degrees.

As for Talbot, yes please!!

Reactions: nexttothemoon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I honestly believe Ellis was the better goaltender last year in Bako, and this year in preseason he was clearly the better of the two in my eyes. LBs 1 way contract is what kept him here IMO. Hence why I think we sent the wrong guy down. I honestly believe Ellis is the better of the two and by several degrees.

As for Talbot, yes please!!

See for me Ellis doesnt change anything. They still end up playing Talbot 90% of the time and we then have an unproven commodity taking his place.
This is a catch 22 for me. the team insists on keeping an inexperienced backup and then they never play him so when they need him he doesnt have a chance to play well. Its a recipe for failure. Its the kind of thing this team used to do during the DoD.
Being a backup in the NHL is extremely hard and the team dropped the ball by not bringing in a vet.
Thats why I am not all over LB like most of the board is right now. I blame the team.

Reactions: Night Witch

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Also...in last nights game none of the goals were LBs fault. Even on the 3rd goal Lucic made a lazy disinterested play after Bennings gaffe which allowed the Preds to access a prime scoring area and they scored.
I havent seen 1 post calling out Lucic (or even Benning)...dont understand it.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Also...in last nights game none of the goals were LBs fault. Even on the 3rd goal Lucic made a lazy disinterested play after Bennings gaffe which allowed the Preds to access a prime scoring area and they scored.
I havent seen 1 post calling out Lucic (or even Benning)...dont understand it.

Brossoit has a save percentage of 88.6% on the season so he really doesn't get a lot of slack from me. Sure in the games he plays, not every goal is his "fault"... but with that type of bottom of the barrel save percentage... the team could and should look at another option as well. There's no reason not to look and see what Ellis can deliver... especially since he's not an 18 year old goalie.

Ellis turns 24 next month and I think he deserves a game or 2 as he's looked good in the AHL (at least as good as Brossoit) and overall Brossoit has looked average and inconsistent at best.

The team has no issues sitting out forwards and dmen and trying out different line combos and pairings... it should certainly be the same in net when a goalie isn't playing up to a reasonable level.

Reactions: Nunymare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad