Post-Game Talk: Oilers 8 - Vegas 2

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I am happy with the win and the outpouring of goals. Hopefully guys can keep filling the net. Maybe its finally the straw that broke the camels back and the shots will start going in.

But for the love of god. We have seen this so many times. For once please just realize you haven't won anything yet and you need really good efforts like that every night. St Louis is going to be flying tomorrow night. We have to be ready and surpass their effort if we want to win.

Too many times this Oilers team wins big and then just mails it in the next game thinking it will be easy.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Last season the games vs St.Louis were some of the best games. Swept the season series and Maroon always shows up. They play big grinding game and the Oilers thrived in those games last season. Hope they bring the fire again.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Your kidding right? I love how Nuge has had a great start but Monahan has outscored him every single season the last 4 years and even with Nuge’s hot start this year, Monahan’s has been hotter. He’s on pace for 40/40.

Backlund has also outscored Nuge the last 2 years and is elite defensively. Look at the zone starts and CF% of Backlund vs Nuge. Backlund is considerably ahead. I think Calgary’s 2nd line had something like zero offensive zone starts vs. St. Louis and still picked up 4 points and were a +1.

Love RNH’s resurgence, but he’s a #3 Center on this team and theirs.
Nuge drives offence, Monahan gets driven to the rink by Gaudreau. If Nuge was playing with our best player Freidman wouldn't even come on the air with this nonsense.

Reactions: McFlash97

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers special teams scored 4 goals on 3 shots... pretty solid 133% shooting percentage. As long as they keep that up they'll do ok. :)

This is either one of those outlier games where everything they shoot goes in... never to be seen again for a year or more and they go right back to their old non cashing ways... or this is the eye opening/revelation type of game that they needed to start changing their style of game to have the dmen activate and push hard for offense and finally make their AAA chances count.

The 6 dmen had 14 of the team's 31 shots... almost half... and you really noticed that the dmen were given the green light to activate for offense which I think is a good sign. The team only gave up 24 shots against as well which is a pretty impressive stifling of offense.

Obviously they won't be able to cash 8 chances every game and they won't face 4th/5th string goalies often (or ever again) either but I'm taking this game as a confidence booster that pushes them to realize they are a better team than their record indicates... and if they play like this more often they know can get right back in the mix of being among the top NHL teams and a real playoff contender just like they were last season.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
This is the turning of the worm, so to speak, if the Oilers can take advantage.

Tough game coming up against StL, however we then play Dallas, STL again, Det, Buf, Bos, Ari. That should be 4 wins.

As of now we are:
- 2nd in NHL in high danger chances for %
- 2nd in Corsi for %
- 2nd *LAST* in high danger goals for %
- *LAST* In high danger shooting %

The last two simply cannot last forever at their historically bad levels. All signs point to a levy break coming up, unless Talbot goes sour again.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
What kind of expert is Freidman exactly? Hockey was never his thing.
He sure talks like it is.
He's an insider, but his actual insight into playing is not even on a Kypreos or Aaron Ward level. At least those guys played. Friedman is also a huge flames homer as well.
Yeah, I remember being annoyed by him beating their drum beginning of last year, but we shut him quickly. Can't wait to string a couple of wins together and hopefully Nuge continues to play this way so we can shut him up again. You would think he's got some sort of endorsement deal with them, the way he promotes that team.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He's an insider, but his actual insight into playing is not even on a Kypreos or Aaron Ward level. At least those guys played. Friedman is also a huge flames homer as well.

Elliott Friedman is one of the biggest homers alive. If you notice everytime there is a conversation about another superstar , he usually or quickly finds a way to throw in Matthews name in there along with the Leafs as comparables. Guy then gets on Stauffers show(Oilers now) and elects to call Bob a big homer. Bob definitely is a homer, but guess what Elliott, lets call spade a spade. Your no different lol.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Elliott Friedman is one of the biggest homers alive. If you notice everytime there is a conversation about another superstar , he usually or quickly finds a way to throw in Matthews name in there along with the Leafs as comparables. Guy then gets on Stauffers show(Oilers now) and elects to call Bob a big homer. Bob definitely is a homer, but guess what Elliott, lets call spade a spade. Your no different lol.

Bob is on another planet when it comes to the Oilers though. To be fair he has to be since he is on the payroll.

Besides, I don't think Friedman is wrong. If Drai is playing C RNH is 3rd here. If RNH is on the flames he is behind Monahan and Backlund. I don't think most people would disagree outside of Oilers fans.

Reactions: OilCountry93

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
First game this year that the team has had the same physical presence as last year. Not sure what initiated that change, but hopefully it sticks.
OV2 was hitting too, which was nice to see. Biggest knock on him is he shys away from contact. Yesterday I saw him get in places he usually doesn't

With that being said I think some guys have had a wake up call like Jujhar and now with a trade happening it could've sparked guys to be better.

I also think part of yesterday's success was scoring early. Getting that first goal gives a team momentum and we didn't take the foot of the gas once we had it yesterday.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Only because TMac won’t let Drai run his own line.
There could be reason for that...
From what I've seen from Draisaitl this year, I wouldn't let him run his own line either.
The guy gives away the puck too much, is weak on the back check and blows the zone far too often.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There could be reason for that...
From what I've seen from Draisaitl this year, I wouldn't let him run his own line either.
The guy gives away the puck too much, is weak on the back check and blows the zone far too often.
His giveaways and back checking aren't exactly any worse than RNH.

He also has the best +/- on the team so I really don't think LD is a bad option to having his own line.

The really problem right now is that the 2nd line is clicking and I don't know that there is another option as #1 RW. Maybe Strome or Cammy? Although I don't know that Cammy can play RW.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As for Friedman I've been questioning his take on things for along while. Number one thing that always occurred to me on why people figure he's an expert (other than some insider connections which are overstated) is his oratory delivery. He's night and day better at working the camera, at speaking. I see him talk and I think he must have taken the right broadcasting programs. Theres so much he does well just technically in speaking. Everything from tone, pause for effect, enunciation etc is letter perfect with him. Consider if he was reading the news. He would be better than almost anybody doing it. Friedman has that kind of anchor thing going on.

People don't think about this kind of thing but Friedman is well believed, and popular, due to simply HOW he talks and not just what he says. Great broadcasters (and Friedman is one) hone this gift well. But its a mistake to think that everything that is well stated from an oratory pov is the real goods or that he knows a lot more than anybody else. He's just a great speaker. Watch for that next time you see him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No irony in this post. Being critical of a person based on something stated on the internet..

ps this is a discussion board. Is it OK to discuss stuff?

I must admit. You are much more polite this time around. This is coming from a guy who has no one on an ignore list.

Keep it up, old timer!

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
As for Friedman I've been questioning his take on things for along while. Number one thing that always occurred to me on why people figure he's an expert (other than some insider connections which are overstated) is his oratory delivery. He's night and day better at working the camera, at speaking. I see him talk and I think he must have taken the right broadcasting programs. Theres so much he does well just technically in speaking. Everything from tone, pause for effect, enunciation etc is letter perfect with him. Consider if he was reading the news. He would be better than almost anybody doing it. Friedman has that kind of anchor thing going on.

People don't think about this kind of thing but Friedman is well believed, and popular, due to simply HOW he talks and not just what he says. Great broadcasters (and Friedman is one) hone this gift well. But its a mistake to think that everything that is well stated from an oratory pov is the real goods or that he knows a lot more than anybody else. He's just a great speaker. Watch for that next time you see him.

You are bang on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I must admit. You are much more polite this time around. This is coming from a guy who has no one on an ignore list.

Keep it up, old timer!

Bah, its humor. I don't mind it all if people have a laugh, get a chance to have some fun around here in a serious world. Lord knows there hasn't been much fun in Oilers world this season and people were having some last night and its predictable. As people know I feed the fun sometimes too. Still, shouldn't cross over into contempt. Life is too short for that.

I don't know who that older guy is (never seen him before but his personality leapt off the screen immediately the moment you see him.) I bet that guy is a riot as a Dad, as a grandpa etc. What a character. Memorable.

I like as well that people didn't make fun of the fella. They laughed with him and the comments about him here were just funny.

Last night was a fun game.

The players could sure use a game like that as well. I almost saw Lucic smile..;)

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Oh boy what a game!
Really enjoyed!

Only if those hits of Benning and Nurse would have been targeted little sharper... :hit:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Last season the games vs St.Louis were some of the best games. Swept the season series and Maroon always shows up. They play big grinding game and the Oilers thrived in those games last season. Hope they bring the fire again.
Agreed. They play right into our favourite slow, grinding play style. As much as they are a great team, the Oilers match up much better with them than the faster eastern conference teams they have been playing

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
About Nuge, Friedman was on Oilers Now a couple of days ago and answered Stauffers question on whether or not Nuge is a 2nd or 3rd line centre. He, Friedman, said he would be 3rd in Edmonton (which I understand, I mean obviously McDavid and Drai) but when he said 3rd in Calgary I nearly flipped. Freidman said and I quote, maybe behind Monahan and Backlund? Honestly I felt disrespect for Nuge. If you ask me he would be their number 1.
Friedman loves the Flames for some reason. He picked them to win the West at the start of last playoffs.

Reactions: Wewillrise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad