Post-Game Talk: Oilers 8 - Vegas 2

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think honestly Charelli (or whoever is the GM) in about 2 years is going to have to ask Lucic to waive his NMC for the good of the team and see if a deal can be made if the Oilers retain some salary.
That would likely be ideal, but the way he's playing of late is at least tolerable. No idea if he'll have that in him a few years down the road. Perhaps a compliance buyout in the next CBA is the best hope.

Anyways back on topic. Great game. Looked like the Oilers of last year. Excited to see the Cammy for Jokinen swap as Jokinen was essentially non-NHL quality this season for us. Klefbom had a great game and if he can get back to where he was last season along with Sekera returning soon, I like their chances of turning the season around.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Good win, but should have saved some of the goals for that Eastern trip. Why didn't they play like that then?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
About Nuge, Friedman was on Oilers Now a couple of days ago and answered Stauffers question on whether or not Nuge is a 2nd or 3rd line centre. He, Friedman, said he would be 3rd in Edmonton (which I understand, I mean obviously McDavid and Drai) but when he said 3rd in Calgary I nearly flipped. Freidman said and I quote, maybe behind Monahan and Backlund? Honestly I felt disrespect for Nuge. If you ask me he would be their number 1.
What kind of expert is Freidman exactly? Hockey was never his thing.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If we win on Thursday we will be 8-9-2.

Last year on November 17th, we were 9-8-1.

We'll figure it out.

That is the way people have to look at it instead of all the doom and gloom. The NHL is very different this year. If you don't bring your A game every game, you will lose.
The better way to look at a team's performance is judge them on 5 game blocks. Since the Detroit beat-down, the team has won 7 outta a possible 10 points. The Oilers could have won the Rangers game as well.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
What can I say, I'm a music critic too. But do people actually like that goal song? I always prefer one that rocks or gets people pumped or something. I don't even know who its by tbh.

ps your friend sounds pretty cool..;)

you're just a critic of everything. must be hard to get along with you IRL. you have the need to argue everything.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
About Nuge, Friedman was on Oilers Now a couple of days ago and answered Stauffers question on whether or not Nuge is a 2nd or 3rd line centre. He, Friedman, said he would be 3rd in Edmonton (which I understand, I mean obviously McDavid and Drai) but when he said 3rd in Calgary I nearly flipped. Freidman said and I quote, maybe behind Monahan and Backlund? Honestly I felt disrespect for Nuge. If you ask me he would be their number 1.

Your kidding right? I love how Nuge has had a great start but Monahan has outscored him every single season the last 4 years and even with Nuge’s hot start this year, Monahan’s has been hotter. He’s on pace for 40/40.

Backlund has also outscored Nuge the last 2 years and is elite defensively. Look at the zone starts and CF% of Backlund vs Nuge. Backlund is considerably ahead. I think Calgary’s 2nd line had something like zero offensive zone starts vs. St. Louis and still picked up 4 points and were a +1.

Love RNH’s resurgence, but he’s a #3 Center on this team and theirs.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If we win on Thursday we will be 8-9-2.

Last year on November 17th, we were 9-8-1.

We'll figure it out.

Been saying this team needs to get to 500 by end of month after last months abysmal record.

As long as 500 and sekera is alive, then we have a fighting chance.

Maybe

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
SupremeTeam16 has a great idea.

Grey wig and bandana should easily be the new MVP outfit for the Oilers

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Your kidding right? I love how Nuge has had a great start but Monahan has outscored him every single season the last 4 years and even with Nuge’s hot start this year, Monahan’s has been hotter. He’s on pace for 40/40.

Backlund has also outscored Nuge the last 2 years and is elite defensively. Look at the zone starts and CF% of Backlund vs Nuge. Backlund is considerably ahead. I think Calgary’s 2nd line had something like zero offensive zone starts vs. St. Louis and still picked up 4 points and were a +1.

Love RNH’s resurgence, but he’s a #3 Center on this team and theirs.

He's a #2C on this team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well essentially Vegas played like an expansion team. I suspect their combo of a hot run and now using a 4th string goalie is going to start to hurt. They might win some games due to apparently being a hard working team, but it seems quite apparent if you hit them and put some pressure on them then they will break.

We were making simple plays and gaining the zone far too often too easily. They will need some goaltending to step up and make some saves or it's going to be a long season ahead for them

Reactions: Aerrol

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
You can keep both but Maroon has to be willing to accept a cap hit of $4 mill per .... which miiiiiiiight be doable if you tack on an extra year to his deal with a low cap number (thus bringing down the AAV).

You have to let Strome walk. And possibly dump Kassian too. But I guess ... why not? Why keep lesser players, keep your best players instead.

Maroon (4) McDavid (12.5) Yamamoto (0.925)
Lucic (6) RNH (6) Draisaitl (8.5)
blank (1) Caggiula (1.8) Puljujarvi (0.925)
Khaira (0.67) Malone (1) Slepyshev (1.5)
blank (0.8)

Larsson (4.1) Klefbom (4.1)
Nurse (3.75) Sekera (5.5)
Russell (4) Bear (0.9)
Gryba (0.9)

Pouliot Buyout (1.3)

Talbot (4.1)
Broissoit (1.25)

= approx $75 million (est cap at $77 million)

A players cap hit is his AAV so adding an extra year needs to be at a lower salary to adjust the AAV. I think Maroon at $4M is doable. He’s a smart man, he knows his place.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Does it make you all feel good to continually make fun of someone?. Put him on ignore or leave the poor guy alone.

tumblr_mpaqgy0fUv1sxk8zwo1_400.gif

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Gord

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
First game this year that the team has had the same physical presence as last year. Not sure what initiated that change, but hopefully it sticks.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Hello Western Conference my old friend. Just what the doctor ordered. Pretty much good games from everyone besides a couple of our bottom 6ers. Say what you want about Vegas' goaltending but most NHL goalies Wouldn't have been able to stop most of those goals. We're talking point blank, bar down, cross crease goals. Oh and 4 words: Nuge Is So Huge!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad