Post-Game Talk: OIlers 4 Panthers 2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought Rattie was better than Aberg in that spot.

Keep him up for another game, and see where it goes.

If McDavid can turn Rattie into a productive NHL top 6er, that is found money.

Aberg didn't look bad but didn't seize the oppurtunity. Rattie has looked good to my eye.

Very good chance we pass more than a few teams in the standings with how the Oil have been playing. Want JP to get a real shot/streak to finish the year strong as well.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Well, people talk about Hoffman being the 25 goal winger we need. Do they forget that Nuge is at 20 right now having missed over a month? Sure, Hoffman has more of a shooting mentality, but that only makes Nuge's scoring more impressive, given that he's also better at the other aspects of the game. Why would you trade a versatile C/W for a scoring winger if the player you have scores enough goals?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Really liking that first line. They just need to keep rifling the pucks at the net; all three of McDavid, Nuge and Rattie can shoot the biscuit. McD can pass as good or better than anyone, and Nuge is certainly above average as well. Just find the open man, shoot; find open man, shoot; find open man, shoot -- shift after shift. They do that and the production will be there the rest of the way. Rattie's not great defensively, but having two centers helps negate that. Poor Drai needs some wingers on the 2nd line, though. Really hoping Yamamoto will be ready next season; he was so close last Sept.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Well, people talk about Hoffman being the 25 goal winger we need. Do they forget that Nuge is at 20 right now having missed over a month? Sure, Hoffman has more of a shooting mentality, but that only makes Nuge's scoring more impressive, given that he's also better at the other aspects of the game. Why would you trade a versatile C/W for a scoring winger if the player you have scores enough goals?

Nuge's shot is under-rated, and as you said he's much more complete, and of course can take a draw if McDavid is thrown out, or if it's an icing as I believe his FO% is higher. Not sure how long Rattie stays, but they also help make up for his defensive deficiencies. Easy choice for Nuge to me.

Just need a couple wingers for Drai. Sign Grabner and Yamamoto should be ready. Good enough for a 2nd line, I would think. Pulju might also be ready to take the next step. We're likely a couple years away from truly contending, as we need to develop our young guys (since we can't trade for crap). I think we'll grab a great Dman this draft, Yamamoto will work out, and Benson is a wild card.

But yeah, I don't see any extra assets we have laying around to grab a guy like Hoffman anyway. Wouldn't be worth the cost, and doubt we'd be any further ahead. Unless they want Lucic...

Reactions: Pointteen and ujju2

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I took a long lunch to listen to the first period in my truck at work. It didn't sound like much was going on except for Talbot making saves. When I got to take my last break it was halfway through the third. Good to hear something good happened from an afternoon game.

Lost a bet with the Oilers winning and now I must remain clean shaven until the new season starts in October. It'll be a pain, but I'm not that unhappy with the result.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Rattie showed if nothing else that he can play with McDavid. Got himself open, shot when he had a shot, and dished it back to Connor or Nuge to carry when he didn’t. Perfect.
Rattie likely is not the answer, but he demonstrates why the Oilers need to find their own Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, etc... who realizes their primary role is to pressure the D, create turnovers, get the puck to the superstar, and get open.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Trading Nuge for Hoffman is a bad trade. Nuge is just entering his prime and is already a better all around player. Hoffman is Eberle with a Bette robe timer who’s turning 30 soon.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
As others have said, really impressed with that top line today. Rattie especially had half a dozen good chances around the net.

Shots look bad with 42 against but oilers killed 6 penalties; shot totals will look imbalanced when that happens.

Liked the jump that Larsson and nurse had tonight as well. Showing some good instincts in the offensive zone.

Can somebody remind me if kassian still plays on this team, or if the guy currently wearing his jersey is a body double? Where's the hits and the sand paper? Kassian needs to remember his role and how he had success last year. He is not a skill guy, although he does have a good touch around the net. He needs to be hitting and he needs to be standing up for his teammates. Too many times this year he's been skating around lazily on the outskirts of a scrum, or he lets up without finishing his check and just peels off. Need him to start contributing just as much as some others in the bottom 6.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder how the damn team would've looked, if the goaltending and PK early on was like this currently. Funny how once Letestu aka another McLellan's favorite got traded, the PK improved. Not harping on Letestu, but he struggled massively as an individual on the PK. McLellan just loves playing his favorites, even if they're struggling. What a clown.

I forget who it was - Woodguy maybe - posted earlier in the year our PK numbers when Letestu was out there vs where he wasn’t. Pretty eye popping.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
And Letestu would often be out there with Kassian, who is also an awful PKer. At some point everybody but the coaches started to notice that those 2 got clowned on every time they tried to kill a penalty.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
I turned down the game today... should have went. Going to the game tomorrow against the Bolts. Let’s hope the Oil win!!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Most of the people wanting Nuge dealt are the same ones who wanted him gone all last year and haven't liked him ever since he took over top line C from Gagner (the favorite Oiler at the time of most Nuge haters).

Reactions: ujju2

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
How the coaching staff couldn't see how useless Letestu was when me and many, many others here knew he was useless at everything -- even as an 'energy 4th liner' -- is really confounding. Yet there was Letestu regularly on the 1st unit PP, PK, and thrown out there after a goal against (to get our momentum back I guess, hahahaha! Good one, Todd!) when he was completely ineffectual at best, hindrance at worst. I don't really care how many PP goals he fluked his way into the net on set plays that teams were slow to figure out, but eventually did, rendering him completely useless and the coaching staff couldn't see this. Incredible. How do the Oiler brass expect us to have any faith in this coaching staff when so many fans were calling for Nuge on the top line, Letestu shot into space, etc. is beyond me. The special teams should be enough basis to can the lot of them. They better be gone, I don't care how well we do the last 10 or so games. If we win it'll be in spite of coaching, just as it mostly was last season. Get rid of these clowns ASAP, please.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I turned down the game today... should have went. Going to the game tomorrow against the Bolts. Let’s hope the Oil win!!

I just hope for some McPoints and a good showing by the top line, Drai, Bear and Talbot. The rest, meh. Just shut down Kucherov and Stamkos. McDavid is now only 2 assists behind Kucherov for the scoring lead. I hope they're dialed in and want to win, or at least help McDavid's cause. Maybe he over-takes him tomorrow, but wont be easy.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
same old story of the last 10 years.. ****ing losers only win when it no longer matters.

It does matter, enough with this loser mentality tanking BS. The team needs to build some positive vibes the rest of the season and get back that winning mentality. Nuge finding a niche on McDavid's line, Strome and Khaira establishing a foundation for a solid 3rd line, Drai learning how to drive his own line, Bear getting positive NHL experience and a taste of some winning, Talbot and Klefbom getting their confidence back etc. These are all important things to build on the rest of the season that could only be helped by winning some games.

The prospects in this draft after Dahlin are a major crapshoot anyway, all good players who fill needs but all with distinctive flaws so there's not a huge difference between roughly 5-10. They aren't finishing in the bottom 5/6 anyway even if they lose most of their games. Lets finish the season strong, enough with the losing.

The only negative to the winning would be giving more leash to management and the coaches but they aren't going anywhere anyway.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Nice to win but the Oilers only played one good period. Can't judge Rattie on just one game. Team is still not very good. Panthers has more of the play and missed a lot of goal scoring opportunists.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
How the coaching staff couldn't see how useless Letestu was when me and many, many others here knew he was useless at everything -- even as an 'energy 4th liner' -- is really confounding. Yet there was Letestu regularly on the 1st unit PP, PK, and thrown out there after a goal against (to get our momentum back I guess, hahahaha! Good one, Todd!) when he was completely ineffectual at best, hindrance at worst. How do the Oiler brass expect us to have any faith in this coaching staff when so many fans were calling for Nuge on the top line, Letestu shot into space, etc. is beyond me. The special teams should be enough basis. They better be gone, I don't care how well we do the last 10 or so games. If we win it'll be in spite of coaching, just as it mostly was last season. Get rid of these clowns ASAP, please.

How soon we forget that Letestu ignited the power play last year when it was floundering, Hoe one timer scored a lot of PP goals. I don't agree he regressed badly this year though.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Hey boys, just watched my first Oilers' game in a while. I noticed that Milan Lucic was having a bit of trouble passing, skating, and shooting; has this been an issue a few times this year or did I just happen to catch him on an off day?

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Hey boys, just watched my first Oilers' game in a while. I noticed that Milan Lucic was having a bit of trouble passing, skating, and shooting; has this been an issue a few times this year or did I just happen to catch him on an off day?

Something strange going on with him. This has been the situation with him pretty much after christmas. You can see it from the scoring sheet as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->