Oil Season Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandastyle

What a difference a year makes. In the last HFNHL season, the Oilers barely squeezed into the playoffs, while this year (with the new division setup) the team could finish as high as 3rd. Not to mention that this is simply a better Oilers squad then the one iced last time out.

Joining the club this year are Teemu Selanne, Ryan Malone, Dave Andreychuk, Tim Taylor, and Jason Woolley.

Forwards:

There is some scoring ability up front with Havlat, Smyth, and Selanne. And there are several good defensive forwards on this team highlighted by Rob Niedermayer. The team is missing a #1 center, and most would argue that they’re missing a #2 center as well, but Gledhill feels that the strength on the wings will make up for the absence.

Defense:

Not a very flashy group, they’re not going to wow you with their offensive prowess, but they are responsible in their own end. Paul Mara has been getting better and better over the past few years and is turning into a real solid two-way blueliner. The strength of this squad is undoubtedly its depth, all 6 starters deserve to be in the league, and the 7th man (Tom Preissing) would likely play regularly on many clubs.

Goalies:

Evgeni Nabokov is the backbone of this team. He has the capability of playing 65 games, and it’s likely that Coach Keenan will ask him to do just that. Backup Garth Snow is capable, but likely will get spot duty when Nabby fills like taking a breather.

Expected Starting Lineup:
Ryan Smyth (C) – Patrik Stefan – Martin Havlat
Oleg Kvasha – Ryan Malone – Teemu Selanne (A)
Martin Rucinsky – Rob Niedermayer – Dave Andreychuk (A)
Wayne Primeau – Tim Taylor – Vladimir Orszagh

Paul Mara – Jason Woolley
Barrett Jackman – Kyle McLaren
Vitaly Vishnevski – Mark Eaton

Evgeni Nabokov
Garth Snow

C – Captain, A – Assistant

HFNHL Red Wings

I would say good luck on the season but since we're conference rivals I wouldn't mean it ;)

It seems our teams are meeting in Day 2 of the exhibition schedule but since it's a 'friendly' I'll try not to defeat you too badly.

Never too soon to start the trash talking :hockey:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad