OHL suspends player for "slur" on Steve Downie

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Wild GM said:
Ah, well that clears that up. I am sure if you called Brashear or Iginla that they would think you were REALLY cool.

REALLY.
I wouldnt say anything like that to a stranger, just as I wouldnt call anyone a fat ******* or a ginger tosser.

Explain how something can only be an insult when said by members of a certain race.

One of my best friends at school was black we used racial insults on each other all the time.

Pure Rock Fury*

And hockey takes yet another step towards becoming figure skating.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Steve L said:
I wouldnt say anything like that to a stranger, just as I wouldnt call anyone a fat ******* or a ginger tosser.

Explain how something can only be an insult when said by members of a certain race.

One of my best friends at school was black we used racial insults on each other all the time.

Because it's a quirk in relations between races. The way things are, groups of people that face discrimination and unequal access have the "advantage" to use words that those who aren't minorities can't.

I would rather not be able to drop the 'n' word than to face the issues that minorities still face. While things are MUCH better than they were, things still aren't as they should be.

Take one word out of your vocabulary. I really don't think your life will be any worse off without it.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
JWI19 said:
And the dumbest post of the week goes to Steve L

You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. Call one of my black co-workers that word and lets see if you survive. I know black people who hate it when other black people use that word (well the one that ends with a) because it is and always will be a disrespectful term to describe a particular group of people.

And the word in question with this thread (sounds like bag) is the same thing and people shouldn't be calling other people that word....even if they are boys and are just joking around on the ice.
You dont get it, friends calling friends names isnt taboo, a black person can call another person a ******, two friends can call each other names without it meaning anything. The word itself isnt an insult, the way its used is.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
SneakerPimp82 said:
i bet you most people disagree with you on whether the n-bomb is still an insult or not. I know I wouldn't take kindly to a white stranger calling me n***er or n***a. I would tear my white friends a new a-hole if they called me that.

Yes I'm black and yes it's still an insult, regardless of how it's used within the black community.
The key word is stranger, you probably wouldnt take too kindly to a stranger calling you a fat ******* if you were fat. I had no problems with a black friend calling me a honky.

The word isnt taboo here, its used in TV if its needed.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Wild GM said:
Because it's a quirk in relations between races. The way things are, groups of people that face discrimination and unequal access have the "advantage" to use words that those who aren't minorities can't.

I would rather not be able to drop the 'n' word than to face the issues that minorities still face. While things are MUCH better than they were, things still aren't as they should be.

Take one word out of your vocabulary. I really don't think your life will be any worse off without it.
I dont use it but the way the word is taboo for fear of offending someone is rediculous.

When Beezer called his captain that (which is totally wrong because it was meant as an insult) non of the US websites would even report the facts because they were so PC. I had to find a Canadian website to read what he actually said.

Its stupid that you cant report a word for fear of offending anyone Until that goes away, different colours will never get along.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Steve L said:
Its stupid that you cant report a word for fear of offending anyone Until that goes away, different colours will never get along.

No. When everyone is treated 100% equally, there will be no need to fear offending people for calling them a name.

fism

May 5, 2004
Panasonic Youth said:
It's easy to get bent out shape for this but these kids are fifteen to nineteen years old. Fifteen year olds have no business using slurs or profanity, and I think nineteen year olds have a responsibility to keep it away from them. With that said, the league definately went over board by suspending anyone more than two games.
15 and no profanity? Where did you grow up? :confused:

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Wild GM said:
No. When everyone is treated 100% equally, there will be no need to fear offending people for calling them a name.
Thats my point, a black person can use a word to a black person and its ok, a white person cant do it. That is treating people differently.

Treating people the same is the only way to pull people together, not so called positive discrimination or different sets of rules for different colours.

Thats my point with the south park example, the gays were allowed to use the word *** but the straight people had it bleeped out, they were poking fun at a total double standard which is the case with race too

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Wild GM said:

Or when people stop exaggerating how bad they are treated. Does racism exist? Yes it does but it goes both ways. Its a vicious cycle where one race claims racism against them yet turns around and is racist towards another race. Cant have it both ways.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
kingpest19 said:
Or when people stop exaggerating how bad they are treated. Does racism exist? Yes it does but it goes both ways. Its a vicious cycle where one race claims racism against them yet turns around and is racist towards another race. Cant have it both ways.
Or the government does it for them. Its wrong to discrminate against blacks and white.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Steve L said:
Or the government does it for them. Its wrong to discrminate against blacks and white.

Its wrong to disriminate against any race. The race card gets played way too much for the division between races to get over past history. Unfortunately it gets pulled out over the littlest things that have no racist overtomes to them.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Wild GM said:
So if he calls Downie the "n" word, since he's not, it's ok?

If he calls Downie a pansie and gets suspended because he's not - is that ok? That's where all this is headed.

The line has to be drawn somewhere - the n word is clearly not acceptable but let's let these guys play and talk a bit.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Steve L said:
Thats my point, a black person can use a word to a black person and its ok, a white person cant do it. That is treating people differently.

Treating people the same is the only way to pull people together, not so called positive discrimination or different sets of rules for different colours.

Thats my point with the south park example, the gays were allowed to use the word *** but the straight people had it bleeped out, they were poking fun at a total double standard which is the case with race too

And like i said i know black people who say it's not okay. So who are you to tell them whats okay for them to hear, even if it comes from fellow blacks?

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
J17ster said:
If your not allowed to call someone gay ... then whats the point of playing hockey if you can't even say stuff

I dunno :dunno:

Maybe to PLAY THE GAME?

I'm all for trash-talking in sports, and I don't think this incident called for a penalty, let alone a suspension, but lets not get carried away here.

Somehow I think you'd like to revise that comment.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
JWI19 said:
And like i said i know black people who say it's not okay. So who are you to tell them whats okay for them to hear, even if it comes from fellow blacks?
Who are they to tell other people what they can and cannot say.

Some people find damn or hell offensive but I dont care, Ill say it because its part of my and every Englishmens daily language. People should use words that they think are appropiate, not what others tell them too.

PCness is doing more to damage race relations that the word ****** ever could.

Btw, before anyone pulls the race card on me, Im not. My ex employer once told me hed never employ blacks or women. I responded by giving everyone the maximum discount I could, even if they didnt ask for it.

Last edited:

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Steve L said:

Exactly. The fact that you wouldn't dare say it to a stranger shows the insult within it. Yes you're right, the way the word is used and situation and context play into it, but overwhelmingly, the word itself provides enough context to tell you that you don't use it as commonly or lightly as other words.

Just as white people can't call blacks n***a, blacks shouldn't call whites cracker or honky. Racism cuts both ways, you're right. Anybody that says different is a fool, but n***er is still an insult, along with any other racial slur.

The race card debate and amount of racism issue is something better left to a politics/civil issues board. But tell me this, if as a white person you feel the need to call a black person n***er/n***a, or a latino a sp*c, or whatever, regardless of context or situation, what's that say about you? (Of course the question can be asked of anyone outside the race of the people who's slur he/she is using)

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
SneakerPimp82 said:
Exactly. The fact that you wouldn't dare say it to a stranger shows the insult within it.
I wouldnt go up to a stranger and call them ugly or overweight but it doesnt mean the words themselves are offensive or taboo.

SneakerPimp82 said:
The race card debate and amount of racism issue is something better left to a politics/civil issues board. But tell me this, if as a white person you feel the need to call a black person n***er/n***a, or a latino a sp*c, or whatever, regardless of context or situation, what's that say about you? (Of course the question can be asked of anyone outside the race of the people who's slur he/she is using)
The only time Ive ever used it was with a friend at school and we did it both ways. To us, it was no different to ripping on someone because they were fat, ginger or had a funny haircut.

The PC crowd would probably find it offensive but I stand by the fact that the words themselves werent offensive because they werent aimed that way.

Roy G Biv*

Steve L said:

OF COURSE, there are double standards. Why would a white person be offended by honky? What cultural or historical significance does it have?

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
That is a ridiculous suspension but hey maybe after Liscomb playing with Downie in Windsor for a while and being his road room mate maybe he got a good idea of Downie's sexual perference. :D

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Back to the point

I think the issue here is whether or not the OHL overreacted and so far, I think most people would agree that they did. Steve Downie has done and said worse to other players I'm sure and not been suspended. I wonder though, was he really offended by the remark. I mean, if Toller Cranston suited up for the Maple Leafs and someone called him a f-g, could you imagine the NHL suspending him for five games? (I mean suspend the player for making the remark, not Cranston for his sexual orientation, by the way.)

Name-calling and trash talking aren't why I go to hockey games and I don't particularly care to here it on TV either. I've got four young boys that I'm trying to raise to be gentlemen. I really don't want them hearing some of that crap.

There are other means at a referee's and a league president's disposal to stamp out objectionable words. If they don't work, then up the ante, but a five-game suspension for this is absurd.

I'm sure this won't be the last controversial incident involving Downie. He seems like a natural-born dung disturber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad