OHL suspends player for "slur" on Steve Downie

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
OK, let's try this again. Moderators, I'll see if I can make this more palatable for you because this is a topic that bears discussion. I tried going over to the OHL board, but you don't have one, so I'm starting the thread here. If you can think of a better board for me to start it on, let me know.

Philadelphia Flyers prospect Steve Downie was involved in another controversial incident last week. The Peterborough Petes forward got involved in an after-the-whistle scrum in Game 5 of his team's playoff series with the Ottawa 67s. During the scrum, Brett Liscomb of Ottawa, who was a teammate of Downie's in Windsor and was even his road roommate, made what the OHL describes as a "derogatory comment" to Downie. Ooooh my goodness -- a hockey player calling another hockey player names. We better put an end to that, the OHL says, so they suspend Liscomb for five games.

When I first saw this, I thought, OK, maybe Liscomb said he was going to call up Mike Danton to get a list of hitmen and then take Downie out in a Sopranos kind of way.

No, it wasn't anything threatening at all. Liscomb called him queer. Well, he didn't actually use that word, he used a word that rhymes with bag and starts with f.

OK, moderators, bear with me here. This has happened thousands of times on a hockey rink. It's not one of hockey's qualities, but it's hardly one of its biggest warts, either.

Stickwork, knee-on-knee hits, and checking from behind are all blights on the game that need to be eliminated. Many times, players do this and don't get suspended for five games. They should.

Apparently, the OHL is trying to crack down on slurs. Fine, I say, but this is like using a sledgehammer to put in a thumbtack. The ref gave Liscomb a gross misconduct and he was tossed from the game and missed Game 6 in which the 67s were eliminated.

If Liscomb gets a minor, or a 10-minute misconduct, and the ref goes over to Ottawa coach Brian Kilrea and says, "Killer, the league's cracking down on this, tell your boys to knock it off" you can bet that would be the end of it.

But no, political correctness runs amok and Dave Branch suspends Liscomb for what he would only refer to as a derogatory remark. OK, so the next time a player calls another player a c---sucker, is he going to get suspended for five games? That's a derogatory comment, too. It also calls someone's sexual orientation into question, or does it? What about a--hole? That's derogatory, but but that's just an unflattering comparison to a part of the human anatomy. What about dummy? That's pretty derogatory. Nobody likes being called stupid, it's not good for your self-confidence.

My point is this, unless Steve Downie really is gay, then what Liscomb said isn't a slur, it's trash-talking.

If the OHL wants to eliminate objectionable conduct from their rinks, that's fine, but they should take a more equitable approach and not succumb to the zeitgeist. Some common sense, please.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
After the whole incident at Windsor, didn't the players take Downie's side and not the other Kid. Kinda suprising. The only thing that makes sense of that whole occurance is that Steve Downie was involved.
If your not allowed to call someone gay ... then whats the point of playing hockey if you can't even say stuff. Its hardly a slur, i mean being called Gay is hardly offensive. Even if Downie was gay its still not insulting IMO.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
This issue has nothing to do with Downie himself.

The OHL has been very strict on certain terms used on the ice. Twice in the past couple of years, a 5-game suspension was handed down for calling a player a (expletive) "Euro", so this latest suspension doesn't surprise me in the least.

I personally think it's ridiculous, but the standard has been set. Liscomb's error was saying it in earshot of an official.

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
Scribe said:
My point is this, unless Steve Downie really is gay, then what Liscomb said isn't a slur, it's trash-talking.

So if he calls Downie the "n" word, since he's not, it's ok?

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
Charlie_Girl said:
This issue has nothing to do with Downie himself.
This is the first thing that occurred to me when I started reading. Really, it's not the location of the thread here, rather the title. You have editing power, Scribe, since you started the thread. That's my opinion on what you should do.

That Steve Downie was involved could not be more irrelevent. The thread title should be changed.

I have a younger brother and sister that are a good 15-16 years younger than myself. One time long ago, when they were young (let's say about 12 or 13), they were arguing when the boy called the girl a "******" or (he didn't spell it out). I immediately raised my voice and told him that he shouldn't be using words if he doesn't know what they mean. He pointed at me and in the same tone said "it's a bunch of sticks and twigs used for burning!" I was left with no recourse, since Webster's Collegiate does back up his claim, so she is what he claimed, I guess.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=******

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Wild GM said:

If he did call him that, it would be trash-talking, it wouldn't be a racial slur. There's a double standard with that word, as there is with many words. If one black person calls another black person that (it happens), then it's not a slur. Some gay people call each other twinky or f-g and they don't take offence. But if a white person or a straight person uses the term, look out, here come the four horsemen.

Now, I'm not saying this makes it OK to use these terms. Not at all. Do not misunderstand me. If a term is objectionable, then nobody should use it. I hate double standards.

Last edited:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
stanley said:
This is the first thing that occurred to me when I started reading. Really, it's not the location of the thread here, rather the title. You have editing power, Scribe, since you started the thread. That's my opinion on what you should do.

That Steve Downie was involved could not be more irrelevent. The thread title should be changed.

I have a younger brother and sister that are a good 15-16 years younger than myself. One time long ago, when they were young (let's say about 12 or 13), they were arguing when the boy called the girl a "******" (he didn't spell it out). I immediately raised my voice and told him that he shouldn't be using words if he doesn't know what they mean. He pointed at me and in the same tone said "it's a bunch of sticks and twigs used for burning!" I was left with no recourse, since Webster's Collegiate does back up his claim, so she is what he claimed, I guess.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=******

Edit: Shame on HF - again with the excessive filter control. It's the usage and intent of the poster, not the words. Is this Russia, Danny? This isn't Russia. But when in Rome...

Fair enough, thread title changed. Let's get to the point, then.

This got me thinking though. I wonder how much the hazing incident in Windsor had to do with this. Downie et al. were getting those rookies do some pretty strange stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Wild GM said:

I think the question that's being asked here is: should the same standard of decorum that exists off the ice be enforced on the ice?

Obviously, invoking the "N" word is a no-no...that particular slur has been elevated above all others in our society. In this particular instance, I think what we're seeing is that gay-bashing is slowly being elevated into the same league as the "N" word.

Am I okay with that? Yeah, but then again I think we live in a society that takes itself WAY too seriously. If this precipitates a zero-tolerance policy, however, where guys are getting suspended for generic cursing...well, let's just say that would be a tad ridiculous.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The only problem I have with this suspension is that it doesn't seem to be very consistent. As others have pointed out, this stuff probably happens multiple times in every junior game. For that matter, I would expect Dave Branch has sat in many different OHL rinks, and I'd be amazed if he hadn't heard dozens of similar (and far worse) comments shouted out from the fans towards the players.

I'm all for cleaning up junior hockey and trying to turn all the kids into respectable and well-behaved young gentlemen. That'd be fabulous. It sounds a bit utopian, but hey, maybe it's worth a try at least. However, in order to do it properly, the league really needs to be absolutely consistent on enforcing it. And they need to publish in advance some guideline of what words are not acceptable in their hockey rinks. Spell it out in black and white and then enforce it consistently, that's all I'd ask. And don't hold these teenage kids to a higher standard than the adult bozos in the stands. If fans use this language, turf them from the building just as quickly.

And good luck with all that. ;)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This topic makes me think about all those times you see cameras zooming in on the likes of Pat Quinn or any other NHL coach, and it doesn't take a lip-reading expert to figure out what they're saying! :biglaugh:

Suspended for swearing? Come on.....

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
HFNHL Commish said:
I think the question that's being asked here is: should the same standard of decorum that exists off the ice be enforced on the ice?

Obviously, invoking the "N" word is a no-no...that particular slur has been elevated above all others in our society. In this particular instance, I think what we're seeing is that gay-bashing is slowly being elevated into the same league as the "N" word.

Am I okay with that? Yeah, but then again I think we live in a society that takes itself WAY too seriously. If this precipitates a zero-tolerance policy, however, where guys are getting suspended for generic cursing...well, let's just say that would be a tad ridiculous.

Its pretty stupid how people can take offense to someone calling someone else gay. I mean common, its a freakin term. Im sure he didn't use it in the context of bashing gay people, its just an expression.
Im also pretty amazed the OHL are doing this. I watch alot of Football (Soccer) and language like "***" is used frequently, and nothing like this would ever happen.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Wild GM said:
****** has ceased to be an insult since black people use it all the time on each other.

It reminds me of the south park ep were the word *** gets bleeped out unless its said by a gay character.

This is really stupid, there would be noone left to play if they suspended everyone for using words like that.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Opening faceoff of a playoff game, one of my defensemen shouts "Win the faceoff, ****-face" as a joke to my center. Ref put him in the box, two minutes for unsportsmanlike-conduct. :biglaugh:

Which brings me to another point: can you get a penalty for rocking your teammate in the jaw after the whistle? :dunno: ;)

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
Steve L said:
****** has ceased to be an insult since black people use it all the time on each other.

Ah, well that clears that up. I am sure if you called Brashear or Iginla that they would think you were REALLY cool.

REALLY.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Steve L said:

It reminds me of the south park ep were the word *** gets bleeped out unless its said by a gay character.

This is really stupid, there would be noone left to play if they suspended everyone for using words like that.

i bet you most people disagree with you on whether the n-bomb is still an insult or not. I know I wouldn't take kindly to a white stranger calling me n***er or n***a. I would tear my white friends a new a-hole if they called me that.

Yes I'm black and yes it's still an insult, regardless of how it's used within the black community.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Liscomb and Downie were just trash talking eachother. They are good friends. It was just like most teenagers do in hockey whether they are best friends, brothers etc they still do. It wasn't really bad IMO theres alot worse said. It wasn't personal at all.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Steve L said:

And the dumbest post of the week goes to Steve L

You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. Call one of my black co-workers that word and lets see if you survive. I know black people who hate it when other black people use that word (well the one that ends with a) because it is and always will be a disrespectful term to describe a particular group of people.

And the word in question with this thread (sounds like bag) is the same thing and people shouldn't be calling other people that word....even if they are boys and are just joking around on the ice.

Roger's Pancreas*

It's easy to get bent out shape for this but these kids are fifteen to nineteen years old. Fifteen year olds have no business using slurs or profanity, and I think nineteen year olds have a responsibility to keep it away from them. With that said, the league definately went over board by suspending anyone more than two games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->