OHL / QMJHL / WHL comparison question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Now, or when? It changes all the time.

In the late 80s/early 90s, the WHL was the highest-scoring league. For most of the 1990s, especially from about 96-03 or so, the QMJHL was easily the highest-scoring league. Scoring in the Q has really dropped off in the last couple seasons, to the point where the OHL seems to have surpassed it (I don't have the numbers, that's just an observation). The WHL is by far the lowest-scoring league.

Of those three options, scoring a PPG in the OHL is right now by far the least impressive. 2 PPG in the Q is probably the most impressive, although scoring at a PPG clip in the WHL right now is damn difficult. 1 draft-eligible guy is managing it right now, and only 1 other guy is even close.

Transported Upstater

Over the last few years, the WHL's goal totals have been the lowest of the three leagues.

But it is really difficult to compare the OHL/QMJHL/WHL.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The OHL has a higher PPG than the Q this year but about 6-7 years ago the Q was much more higher scoring.

If you want numbers id afgree with what another poster said:

1ppg OHL = 1ppg QMJHL = 0.80 ppg WHL

More or less.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Another thing to consider for this season is that the OHL and QMJHL have adopted the NHL's new standard of officiating and the WHL has not, or at least that's what Brent Sutter said the other night on TV.
Anyway, scoring is up in the QMJHL this year almost 1 goal per game over last year.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Through tonight's games ...

Ontario Hockey League
-- 2428 goals in 332 games = 7.3135 GPG

Québec Major Junior Hockey League
-- 2325 goals in 318 games = 7.3113 GPG

Western Hockey League
-- 2040 goals in 350 games = 5.8285 GPG

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My opinion after watching alot of games online this season is that all 3 leagues are very close in skill. I couldnt really say one is better then the other but I think there is one major difference in the leagues.

It just seems to me that in the OHL and QMJHL teams seem to "load" up for runs at the championship. I think teams trade for top players giving up prospects and draft picks and this seems to create an imbalance at the top of the league so you will have a few teams who score a tremedous amount of times against weaker teams rebuilding. This doesnt seem to happen as much if at all in the WHL. I cant remember when one team dumped several players for picks and prospects as WHL teams are loath to trade away any high draft picks.

Correct me if im wrong but thats how I see it

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i dont see how these leagues are close in skill, all the big name are in the OHL and Q while the WHL has almost no big name prospects or many middle ranged guys for that matter...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
zetterberg40 said:
i dont see how these leagues are close in skill, all the big name are in the OHL and Q while the WHL has almost no big name prospects or many middle ranged guys for that matter...

Have you looked at the rosters for Canada's World Junior team this year? or how about last year? or the year before that?

quebec

Apr 29, 2005
3 power play goals in a game in the Q

MS said:
Now, or when? It changes all the time.

In the late 80s/early 90s, the WHL was the highest-scoring league. For most of the 1990s, especially from about 96-03 or so, the QMJHL was easily the highest-scoring league. Scoring in the Q has really dropped off in the last couple seasons, to the point where the OHL seems to have surpassed it (I don't have the numbers, that's just an observation). The WHL is by far the lowest-scoring league.

Of those three options, scoring a PPG in the OHL is right now by far the least impressive. 2 PPG in the Q is probably the most impressive, although scoring at a PPG clip in the WHL right now is damn difficult. 1 draft-eligible guy is managing it right now, and only 1 other guy is even close.
Joey Ryan of the Quebec Remparts got 3 power play goals in 1 game in the begining of december against Shawinagan

MikeC44 said:
Another thing to consider for this season is that the OHL and QMJHL have adopted the NHL's new standard of officiating and the WHL has not, or at least that's what Brent Sutter said the other night on TV.
Anyway, scoring is up in the QMJHL this year almost 1 goal per game over last year.

They adopted it, they just haven't done a good job enforcing it.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Joe Hallenback said:
Have you looked at the rosters for Canada's World Junior team this year? or how about last year? or the year before that?

havent seen this years... dont care much to be honest.. if they got good talent, great, if not oh well, i wont be heart broken

Zetterberg4Captain*

I think he said that because most players are from the dub........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad