Ohl live

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
Glad you brought this up and to see that neulion is watching. I bought a team away season package last year. No matter what I did it was effectively unwatchable. The resolution was a fraction of what is on cable and rendered jersey numbers and names effectively illegible during play. I experienced regular freezes that didn't self-correct. I have high speed high definition everything at home with no problems, except ohllive. Customer support was very slow and no help. This *could* and *should* be a great service, but it wasn't and still isn't. After this past christmas they had a two day free offer. I gave it a try, hopeful that something was fixed since last year. It was worse.

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Can anyone speak to the quality of OHL Live from last season? Trying to decide if it's worth the $180 early bird pricing to get all of a single team's games. Other option (which is free) is to just stream the game over the radio and watch the highlights on the OHL site the next day.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Can anyone speak to the quality of OHL Live from last season? Trying to decide if it's worth the $180 early bird pricing to get all of a single team's games. Other option (which is free) is to just stream the game over the radio and watch the highlights on the OHL site the next day.

For it being 2016, it is disappointing. Some games are great, not hd, but watchable, and then some games the quality is atrocious. Like, I can't even make out the numbers of the players (don't even think about seeing where the puck is), atrocious. Then it will randomly stop and speed up. After 10 mins you'll want to shut it off.

I wouldn't invest in it personally.

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
For it being 2016, it is disappointing. Some games are great, not hd, but watchable, and then some games the quality is atrocious. Like, I can't even make out the numbers of the players (don't even think about seeing where the puck is), atrocious. Then it will randomly stop and speed up. After 10 mins you'll want to shut it off.

I wouldn't invest in it personally.

Basically echoing everything else I've heard about it. It's just a stream of the local TV feed right? Like for Kitchener home games for example it's the cable RogersTV just rebroadcast online, or is it an entirely separate broadcast?

If it's a completely different broadcast I'm staying away entirely. I may buy a 5 or 10 game pass just to see what it's like before I think about buying next year.

Mayday3*

It depends what team you're going to be watching most. Teams like Ottawa/Kitchener have great quality streams, teams like Erie you can't even tell which players are on the ice

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
It depends what team you're going to be watching most. Teams like Ottawa/Kitchener have great quality streams, teams like Erie you can't even tell which players are on the ice

So home games for say Kitchener/London won't be a problem, but when they go play Erie/SSM/Saginaw etc the stream quality will be decreased in comparison. That sucks there's no quality standard enforced across the league.

Are there any free trial periods the league has offered since they started this service? I'd really like to know what it's like before dropping $$$ on something that may be so terrible I can't even watch.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
One of the cheapest ways to test the quality is to purchase a replay of the game one is interested in which are available the next day. Some arenas are better than others.

Sometimes they have freebies around Christmas

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The quality for multiple teams has improved since they moved to the new video player two years ago. During the playoff SSM (which was the worst) actually looked really good. Kitchener, London, and Ottawa are all very good. Erie actually has stepped up their quality of the broadcast from what I remember. I am forced to use it since I live in the states and can't get the OHL Action Pack. The only way to watch my Firebirds games from Ohio. Some feeds though from Kingston and Oshawa for example use the TV feeds (as they all do for the Canadian based teams on Cogeco or Rogers TV) and still look muddy and blurry. Don't know how it's 2016 and we can't get the same quality TV feeds that you would get if you were watching in Ontario on TV.

Last edited:

BaraccoliObama

Feb 22, 2016
Kitchener, ON
One of the cheapest ways to test the quality is to purchase a replay of the game one is interested in which are available the next day. Some arenas are better than others.

Sometimes they have freebies around Christmas

Didn't know you could buy the replays on the cheap. Maybe I'll do it as a quality test, but the highlights video the OHL puts up next day kind of serves the same purpose and I'd imagine are from the same feeds. Unless like NTDP is alluding to below in that the cable TV feed and the online stream are differing quality despite being from the same source.

The quality for multiple teams has improved since they moved to the new video player two years ago. During the playoff SSM (which was the worst) actually looked really good. Kitchener, London, and Ottawa are all very good. Erie actually has stepped up their quality of the broadcast from what I remember. I am forced to use it since I live in the states and can't get the OHL Action Pack. The only way to watch my Firebirds games from Ohio. Some feeds though from Kingston and Oshawa for example use the TV feeds (as they all do for the Canadian based teams on Cogeco or Rogers TV) and still look muddy and blurry. Don't know how it's 2016 and we can't get the same quality TV feeds that you would get if you were watching in Ontario on TV.

I'll be in a similar boat as you soon. Moving across to the west coast but still want to catch some local action. I've seen games on local cable and they're fine but I'm equally as perplexed as you that the quality is so different when it's coming from the same source but is streamed online instead of cable.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Didn't know you could buy the replays on the cheap. Maybe I'll do it as a quality test, but the highlights video the OHL puts up next day kind of serves the same purpose and I'd imagine are from the same feeds. Unless like NTDP is alluding to below in that the cable TV feed and the online stream are differing quality despite being from the same source.

I'll be in a similar boat as you soon. Moving across to the west coast but still want to catch some local action. I've seen games on local cable and they're fine but I'm equally as perplexed as you that the quality is so different when it's coming from the same source but is streamed online instead of cable.

Yeah as technology improves it'll get better. The QMJHL for example has all their feeds in near HD quality because of so many complaints they recieved in the past. For example on OHL Live when they do a Sportsnet game that quality is in HD, as is most rogers tv feeds (London, Kitchener). Flint's games are actually pretty good too. Check out the game on demand tomorrow. See how you like it.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
We subscribed to the Super Sports Package with Cogeco for this season. It's also available with Bell and Rogers I believe but coverage may differ. Includes most OHL games, as well as NHL Center Ice and a lot of the other sports. It's $33/month with a minimum 6 month subscription. We will cancel once the OHL is done since NHL playoffs are on tv without the package, then reactivate next September.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
We subscribed to the Super Sports Package with Cogeco for this season. It's also available with Bell and Rogers I believe but coverage may differ. Includes most OHL games, as well as NHL Center Ice and a lot of the other sports. It's $33/month with a minimum 6 month subscription. We will cancel once the OHL is done since NHL playoffs are on tv without the package, then reactivate next September.
This is what I do as well. Also sounds like the Erie games will be part of the package this year( finally), so you won't miss any games. Heard that on the Sarnia game last night.

Lyons89

Aug 21, 2012

I was under the assumption it was not available for bell? Hope I am wrong though

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Pretty sure the OHL ActionPak is not in the sports package with Bell. Cogeco and Rogers and possibly shaw now. All cable companies since these are local cable productions.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Pretty sure the OHL ActionPak is not in the sports package with Bell. Cogeco and Rogers and possibly shaw now. All cable companies since these are local cable productions.
It's definitely with Cogeco (as an add-on). Watched some OHL games already. If anyone is interested, here's the upcoming broadcast schedule for their sports pack - lots of OHL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzN7HolP-h_ySWwzNWJzVlF6ZG8/view

When I was trying to find out what's in the pack, I found this link from Rogers: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/s...umer_Cable_Eng-_-supersportspak_0811-_-sports

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Jumped around to each of the games so far (for no more than a few seconds) to answer the quality question... Flint, Kitchener, London, North Bay, and SSM were the better ones (clear HQ picture) among teams who've hosted a game so far... Guelph, Kingston, Mississauga, Peterborough, Sarnia, Sudbury, and Windsor fall into the previously mentioned room-for-improvement blurry category.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Jumped around to each of the games so far (for no more than a few seconds) to answer the quality question... Flint, Kitchener, London, North Bay, and SSM were the better ones (clear HQ picture) among teams who've hosted a game so far... Guelph, Kingston, Mississauga, Peterborough, Sarnia, Sudbury, and Windsor fall into the previously mentioned room-for-improvement blurry category.
waiting for 4k..:popcorn: lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4