OHL draft lottery

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I was reading about how Rimouski won the qmjhl lottery and will now select 1st Overall. They will draft the phenom from Quebec too, can't remember his name right now Alexis L. something. Also the WHL has a lottery for there bantam draft too. My question is why doesn't the OHL use a lottery instead of just the last place team automatically getting 1st overall. Just a thought.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was reading about how Rimouski won the qmjhl lottery and will now select 1st Overall. They will draft the phenom from Quebec too, can't remember his name right now Alexis L. something. Also the WHL has a lottery for there bantam draft too. My question is why doesn't the OHL use a lottery instead of just the last place team automatically getting 1st overall. Just a thought.

I don't know why the OHL does not incorporate a lottery; however, I don't see teams intentionally trying to finish last either. Therefore, I don't see a reason to have a lottery.

Most teams that miss the playoffs in the OHL all sell off assets at the deadline so it would be hard to justify making an arguement for teams purposely trying to finish last when all of them "tanked."

Also, quite often the team that finishes last is significantly below those that finish 2nd and 3rd last. I think it would be unfair to potentially award the 4th pick to the last place team and give the first overall pick to a team that finished 20+ points ahead of them.

howndawg

Jan 24, 2009
It wouldn't make any difference who wins the lottery when the top rated players have already decided which teams they may or may not report to. Stop that BS and a lottery would (might) work. Put all the kids that say they are going to school route in a separate draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad