OHL Attendance: Going or Growing?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
A few teams, notably Hamilton and Ottawa, should have a footnote--much of their attendance is inflated by School Day Games, and in Ottawa's case, playing games at Canadian Tire Centre, which these teams barely make any money at all as tickets are severely discounted for schools.

In Hamilton's case, remove School Day games and their attendance is closer to the lower tier of the OHL. Normal games it's usually in the 3000s.. which is well below what is needed for the team to break even due to the high cost of operating FirstOntario Centre --another reason why they need their own smaller arena to remain in Hamilton long term.

Ottawa's got a ton of issues that are difficult to list--plus, like Mississauga, have to deal with the NHL in their city.

Other concerns are that many of the games are on TV--plus prices for tickets are too high.

In addition, during the playoffs, attendances are low in certain markets because no discounts are allowed for tickets.

Last edited:
Reactions: GensLensBrandon

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I believe your stats for the Peterborough Memorial Centre are incorrect. I know the total capacity is listed at 4,329 with standing room but there hasn't been standing room tickets sold for hockey games since before the reno in 2003. A hockey or lacrosse sell out is around 3800 with the boxes full, not 4329. With the correct numbers plugged in, the Petes attendance stats aren't nearly as bad as you have them listed.

Last edited:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
You have Sarnia listed at 5500 for capacity. That number is for concerts, using the floor space. The capacity for a Sting game is about 4600. The Sting have sold out games this season and have announced the attendance at 4616.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting article for sure. I'd hope it'd be growing, the OHL has some good hockey and should be a relatively cheap night out for you and your family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad