Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Who's going to shake loose from teams that were expected to go further into the playoffs? 1st round/2nd round upsets?
Nashville, Ducks, Sharks, LA, Minnesota? Maybe Tampa?

Gotta be a decent piece to target there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who's going to shake loose from teams that were expected to go further into the playoffs? 1st round/2nd round upsets?

IMO Nashville will be all in again next season so I don't expect big changes there but I could be wrong as they were rumored to be in on Karlsson at one point. That said I could see Minnesota shaking things up in a big way, maybe LA as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I'd think the more desperate teams are the ones that missed the playoffs, but are desperate for success for their fans.

Carolina- Faulk

St.Louis- said to be very aggressive the offseason, but Parayko seems untouchable to me, unless we give Drai (no go)

Dallas: Honka, Lindell

Chicago: Seabrook with retention

Islanders: Leddy

Florida: Yandle

But man, parity seems to mean that everyone wants to load up to win. Maybe the best option is to try and sign Green, which might not be an option if he doesn't want to be here. Our problem is that McDavid and Drai are not trade chips. Probably Klefbom isn't either. So, are teams taking RNH? Our 1st rounder? not sure

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
and depending on the source he has either been injured a lot this year or has been a healthy scratch

if he signs for say a mill a year I got no problem with that

since the 14/15 season he seems to have lost his game
Actually he bypassed those numbers in 15/16 split between Toronto and Colorado. His time in Winnipeg has been somewhat forgettable though playing only 72 games over two seasons. But its curious as to why he hasn't been utilized in that PK role he's been prominent in when he's been in the lineup. Regardless, I think he's a prime candidate for a good buy-low and another guy who can flip from wing to center in a time of need for the Oilers. He's also a bigger guy who could probably thrive on a fourth line supporting the cycle with Kassian. In the instance of the Gulutzan hire, signing Matthias and Hansen could probably be a reality for somewhere close to $3m in cap total, giving him two familiar faces to work with on the PK.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd think the more desperate teams are the ones that missed the playoffs, but are desperate for success for their fans.

Carolina- Faulk

St.Louis- said to be very aggressive the offseason, but Parayko seems untouchable to me, unless we give Drai (no go)

But man, parity seems to mean that everyone wants to load up to win. Maybe the best option is to try and sign Green, which might not be an option if he doesn't want to be here. Our problem is that McDavid and Drai are not trade chips. Probably Klefbom isn't either. So, are teams taking RNH? Our 1st rounder? not sure
If we're making a significant deal for a right shooting defenseman this summer, odds are it's Klefbom that's being shopped. If not we've got an $8m bottom pairing. It's tough to say what's to be done with the defense this summer.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
All very valid points and true points, a very well thought out post, as is par for the course for yourself.
All I'm saying is that if the difference between a Vermette and Matthias is around 1-1.5 mil, and they are truly committed to competing this next season, Vermette is the better option. He'd got better speed, he's still one of the best faceofff men in the league, he's got a ring, he's seen it all, and he's a proven penalty killer and by all accounts great in the locker-room. He's about done, it's true, but I recall the time this team bet on a washed up Adam Oates and it payed dividends for years. I'm not saying Vermette is Oates in any degree, but he's a very solid, respected veteran in the league who could do so much more for such a fragile team than a guy like Matthias.

No disagreements there, Vermette is a very accomplished NHLer. He's actually an interesting option as well especially if Trent Yawney comes aboard. But it's something to note how little Vermy was used on Yawney's PK this past season.

It's really tough to say which direction they go in regards to the 4C, but I do believe that the new hire(s) will play a big part in the decision making regarding that personnel.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
They don't really need to trade anybody now, I think, unless it's in the service of obtaining a quality winger (but who could they possibly afford to give up?).

While the D and goaltending were the main problems this past season, I have to think both of those are getting better next year. Talbot can't be that bad again, and the young D are going to start developing -- in a positive way -- next year. (I also think Bear is gonna be a stud when he gets a little more experienced.)

Last year, a lot of things went wrong in the first 21 games of the season. After that, the team went 29-28-4 the rest of the way, which isn't too bad, albeit not great either.

99% of "experts" were wrong in their expectations for Edmonton last year. Next year is the season we'll start to see the real team coming together and taking strides forward.

A lot depends on those young D-men, though... But I think we're going to see some big improvements.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
When healthy, this team does have a decent number of dependable defenceman in Larsson, Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom, and Russell; thus I wonder if they could get away with targetting a lesser defenceman vs. going for the big option in Faulk or Green.

For example I'd be curious to try and nab Wideman or Ceci out of Ottawa. Neither are world beaters, but either would cover the team's biggest need on defence.

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Klefbom
Russell-Wideman/Ceci
Benning

Yanick Weber is another name you could toss here. From the UFA market, Cody Franson still makes sense as an Auvitu replacement, especially if you're just searching for a body to push Benning or Bear for the spot.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I remember a few years ago I pumped the crapoutta ryan wilsons tirea before he disappeared from the league altogether.

This year ive set my sights on alex carrier.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
IMO Nashville will be all in again next season so I don't expect big changes there but I could be wrong as they were rumored to be in on Karlsson at one point. That said I could see Minnesota shaking things up in a big way, maybe LA as well.

Nashville should be very comfortable with the group the have even next year for sure. Only way something might transpire is if they do chase a name like Karlsson or go for a more dynamic top 6 forward to boost the offense. But of course Poile is no fool, he'll find value.

What pieces from Minny or LA, I definitely see something happening there.

Coyle, Spurgeon, Neiderreiter, Retained Koivu, Retained Suter?
Muzzin, Toffoli, Pearson, Clifford?

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

Carolina- Faulk

Yeah certainly desperate teams are more ripe for the picking, you're right.

I suppose with the parity in the league, being a bubble team is not as much of a downtrend or indictment of team as it used to be. It's an interesting discussion, does a team like Dallas, St. Louis or Florida really need to change much? Or do they bank on getting some of the bounces that teams like Colarado, LA, CBJ, NJ, Philly got this year?

The surefire desperate teams on that list will be Carolina, NYI for sure. Buffalo if they want to make a splash beyond drafting Dahlin.
What really concerns me is our team's name is in that group of "desperate" as well, despite having McDavid.

And we do not deal well from a position of desperation.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hell, hopefully Puljujarvi lights it up. I'd be thrilled.

But banking on it happening this upcoming season after it hasn't the past two is throwing good money after bad. Ditto with counting on Rattie being a long term fit with McDavid.

Well, this is going to be the reality when you have 33M tied up into 4 forwards. They are going to need cheap acquisitions like Maroon the last couple of years and now Rattie and Aberg to contribute. They are going to have to depend on internal development with guys like Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and eventually Benson, Maxsimov etc.

Unless the Oilers move Lucic or RNH, they can't sign any proven big ticket wingers. They can sign a few stopgaps of course but it's not going to be easy to get qulaity top 6 stopgaps that are willing to sign 1-2 year deals until the Oilers start winning so in the meantime, expect a lot of Rattie and Pulju types to play prominent minutes. All the good teams develop these types of players to compliment the high end talent. Until the Oilers do, they are going to be a one dimensional offense.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Hoping Trouba resigns in Winnipeg that means they will probably move Myers. Myers, Petan and what for our 10th.
That gives us our right shot dman of course with an extension and Petan a young prospect and either another waiver player or a pick.

Thoughts

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Well, this is going to be the reality when you have 33M tied up into 4 forwards. They are going to need cheap acquisitions like Maroon the last couple of years and now Rattie and Aberg to contribute. They are going to have to depend on internal development with guys like Puljujarvi, Yamamoto and eventually Benson, Maxsimov etc.

Unless the Oilers move Lucic or RNH, they can't sign any proven big ticket wingers. They can sign a few stopgaps of course but it's not going to be easy to get qulaity top 6 stopgaps that are willing to sign 1-2 year deals until the Oilers start winning so in the meantime, expect a lot of Rattie and Pulju types to play prominent minutes. All the good teams develop these types of players to compliment the high end talent. Until the Oilers do, they are going to be a one dimensional offense.
EDM has to stop going after the big ticket UFAs that is why we are in the cap crunch that we are in by signing Lucic, Russel and Sekera. If we would of drafted and developed better we would not have 2 of those 3 which would give us 10 mil in cap space.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
EDM has to stop going after the big ticket UFAs that is why we are in the cap crunch that we are in by signing Lucic, Russel and Sekera. If we would of drafted and developed better we would not have 2 of those 3 which would give us 10 mil in cap space.
We drafted and developed for 10 years. Didn't exactly get us anywhere either

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Doing the right thing badly doesn't mean it's not the right thing.
I posted this last week, but I honestly don't know that Sekera and Russell are that bad. There are playoff teams with UFA signings that are as bad or worse than them.

The thing that TB or WSH have that we don't have is players to put those signings in the right spot to make them effective. Are problem is we had nothing on defense and every guy we bring in has to play more minutes than they should. Coburn is not worth 3.7mil, Orpik is not worth 5.5mil, but those teams make it work

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Also I wouldn't mind seeing Vladdy Hockey get another chance....
Looks like he laid an egg in the playoffs this year. Kinda odd he hasn't come back as we weren't exactly the only team on him.

Not sure that him playing with Omark, Larsen, Scrivens and Harti is going to help us either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad