Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the three guys you initially mentioned are well out of our price range. Riley Nash just put up 41 points in Boston and is looking like he might be a solid option for some teams as a third line center in the prime of his career. Derek Ryan made some decent dollars last season and looks poised for a nice raises in the $2-3m range. Calvert made $2.9m in cash/$2.2m cap last season so his price tag is probably somewhere beyond what he's worth to us. Same goes for Roussel.

I've mentioned them already but I think Jannik Hansen and Shawn Matthias are good value gambles. Both are Gulutzan PK guys from Vancouver. Hansen is a quick skater, has a good shot and has scored the majority of his points in the NHL at evens. Considering the year he just had, 2-14-16 in 46 games, he's probably due for a significant pay cut from the $3m take home/$2.5 cap he made last season. Matthias on the other hand was a non-factor last year in Winnipeg. He got buried in depth and was never even utilized on the PK at all. But when you look at his shooting percentages in previous years (15.7, 11.9, 13.6), he's a guy who'll probably be a good bet to knock in 10-15 goals from your fourth line, where he's best suited. He can also play both C/W. There's a good chance you can get both of those players for the cost of one of the others.

As for Pirri and Peca, I'm all for signing guys with good offensive pedigree in the AHL. Worst case scenario is they're a good depth addition to the farm that's looking poised to be very solid offensively next season. I'd add Austin Czarnik to that list as well considering he's a Chiarelli/Gretzky add from their Boston days.

My point is that I can't see the Oilers going even medium-sized fish hunting considering their cap situation. The Oilers main issue last season organizationally was a significant lack of depth--especially at forward. I think this summer, we'll see more volume added organizationally than big name signings.

You’d probably get Ryan on a dollars over term deal that should fit into our cap providing the cap is in the 80-81M range I would think. Nash wouldn’t come here anyways, I forgot he has bad blood with the Oilers OBC. Calvert is coming off a so-so year and not sure he gets into the dollars, here you could probably do a term over dollars deal that would fit in nicely under the cap.

But yeah I see your point and don’t disagree. I would think we will target a Peca/Pirri type, if only to give us depth and some more experienced offensive players for our AHL kids in waiting.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Faulk is basically Klefbom level bad defensively (which is BAD).... plus he's even worse offensively than Klefbom 5 on 5.

I think adding Faulk makes the Oilers D worse... not better.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
It seems like there isn't going to be any major trades this off-season, which is good. I want to see how players rebound like Klefbom and Lucic before we make any major changes.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It seems like there isn't going to be any major trades this off-season, which is good. I want to see how players rebound like Klefbom and Lucic before we make any major changes.

We need to tweek not blow up everything. Over reaction could be the worse thing for building the self confidence of the younger player

Four key players to our future are McDavid-20. Pizza Boy 19 an Leon D 21 and Nurse is 22. A step back was taken this year and there is no arguing that point. But tossing the baby out with the water would be an over reaction. We are no longer in rebuild mode--we are now in it is go time mode and we need to find what worked and what did not.

First thing we learned was that our team was too slow on most nights and that is something we need to address. We also saw a lack of pts from our back end and that needs to be addresses and I can see Klefbom moved out to address that need

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers defense was mediocre at best in 16-17. It needed to be addressed last summer and wasn't. There is nothing to be gained on the back-end with patience (nothing of consequence is in the system on the way up), and the PP definitely needs point support.

They must address this externally. Patience is NOT a virtue when it comes to filling that hole. It's Tambo-esque dithering.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Guys did it ever occur to you that Chiarelli was tight lipped about his moves this summer so other teams don't know that he's desperate for something specific? For example, letting the league know we needed a top 4 Right Handed defence man 2 years ago only got us Larsson... and we traded Hall. Imagine if Chia had been tight lipped?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Guys did it ever occur to you that Chiarelli was tight lipped about his moves this summer so other teams don't know that he's desperate for something specific? For example, letting the league know we needed a top 4 Right Handed defence man 2 years ago only got us Larsson... and we traded Hall. Imagine if Chia had been tight lipped?

It's occured to me that the difference between the local narrative and the eastern narrative is pretty big. Lots of those types think the Oilers are open to larger scale moves and are downright likely to trade the 10th overall pick, but Stauffer and others are pushing a more conservative narrative.

In Chiarelli's first offseason I was beside myself over how inactive and complacent he seemed to be about addressing the Oilers defense. If he didn't significantly upgrade, it was going to turn the best offseason ever into yet another disaster. Then, with nobody signaling they had any interest whatsoever, they pulled Andrej Sekera during the negotiation period.

So I'll reserve judgment until I actually see what they do instead of what they say, but a meaningful RH defenseman is non-negotiable for this offseason to be a good one IMO. It has to happen. Far, far more important than fixing the wings.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Faulk is basically Klefbom level bad defensively (which is BAD).... plus he's even worse offensively than Klefbom 5 on 5.

Would we trade Klefbom for Faulk though? Imo, if we find a way to bring in Faulk, but keep Larsson and Klefbom, we're upgraded. Maybe even we could keep Sekera, and then maybe there would be some resurrected chemistry considering that Sekera and Faulk had career years playing with each other.

Reactions: Night Witch

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's occured to me that the difference between the local narrative and the eastern narrative is pretty big. Lots of those types think the Oilers are open to larger scale moves and are downright likely to trade the 10th overall pick, but Stauffer and others are pushing a more conservative narrative.

In Chiarelli's first offseason I was beside myself over how inactive and complacent he seemed to be about addressing the Oilers defense. If he didn't significantly upgrade, it was going to turn the best offseason ever into yet another disaster. Then, with nobody signaling they had any interest whatsoever, they pulled Andrej Sekera during the negotiation period.

So I'll reserve judgment until I actually see what they do instead of what they say, but a meaningful RH defenseman is non-negotiable for this offseason to be a good one IMO. It has to happen. Far, far more important than fixing the wings.

Agreed.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Like when Dreger speculated about Reimer for Yakupov??

Which....in hindsight may have been......less awful then it sounded.......but still dumb.....and talbot for a 2nd/or whatever.....was cooler.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The problem with that perspective is there's a pretty significant caveat considering the Oilers cap situation and current roster makeup. Unless we somehow hit the jackpot and someone sees value in Andrej Sekera or Kris Russell, it's Oscar Klefbom heading out the door in any deal involving a high end right shot defenseman. The list is pretty small for realistic players who I'd be happy to make that deal for.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

The league knew the oilers needed a RHD and any team the oilers talk to ask for Hall--this was proven in the fall out when Shattenkirk rejected the idea. We can deny or refuse to admit it as much as we like-but the fact of the matter is--our need for a RHD was as secret as the ending of the titanic--the boat sank

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
?????????

are you joking or not aware for how we lost out on Parise or the swapping of first that allowed us to grab hemsky or the Roloson trade--I could go on--but you get my gist and of course ruling out the 1st.2nd and 3rd we gave up for Penner

My mistake, forgot about the Roli trade. I didn't really count the Parise one because they basically traded it for different 1st rounder in the draft and Penner wasn't a trade.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My mistake, forgot about the Roli trade. I didn't really count the Parise one because they basically traded it for different 1st rounder in the draft and Penner wasn't a trade.

Statement

"We never trades OUR first rounder"
We have. Parise was taken with the Oiler draft pick and Hemsky was drafted with the Bruins and Shaone Morrisonn with the oilers pick

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers defense was mediocre at best in 16-17. It needed to be addressed last summer and wasn't. There is nothing to be gained on the back-end with patience (nothing of consequence is in the system on the way up), and the PP definitely needs point support.

They must address this externally. Patience is NOT a virtue when it comes to filling that hole. It's Tambo-esque dithering.

Tambo was to patient and didn’t surround the young core with the proper veterans. Chia is to aggressive and is giving away our assets to try the fast fix. We need to identify who the core is and then surround them with the right players. IMO last season failures fall on Talbot and the special teams.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Explain Eberle for Strome lol

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I was laughing. Laughing at the idea that the Oilers have enough good players to put together three strong pairs when it's McDavid, Drai, Nuge and a whole lotta hope.

while what you're saying isn't wrong, a lot of teams do that, build around one strong player per line and spread it out

Nuge Mcd
Pulj Drai
Lucic Strome

and then fill in the blanks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I dont see how you think Klefbom is an all caps bad. I think he is a lower case not too bad and should improve. Faulk in the right spot would not make the Oilers worse. Similar to Schultz when he went to Pittsburgh, he is played in the bottom half of the rotation against weaker competition with Sekera perhaps and in the first first power play. It would push Benning down to be our 7th D and give us more defensive depth. I cant see that as being a bad thing. Also Yawney's history with defensemen is stellar. We have that card to play now as well.

Reactions: SK13

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The problem with that perspective is there's a pretty significant caveat considering the Oilers cap situation and current roster makeup. Unless we somehow hit the jackpot and someone sees value in Andrej Sekera or Kris Russell, it's Oscar Klefbom heading out the door in any deal involving a high end right shot defenseman. The list is pretty small for realistic players who I'd be happy to make that deal for.

There's room in the salary structure for an addition today. It's not as dire as you're making it to be.

For the record, as big of a fan of Klefbom as I am, I WOULD move him to adequately fix that hole. I'd buyout Andrej Sekera, I'd try to give Kris Russell back to Calgary, I'd listen on Larsson or Nurse depending on the player coming back. I'd trade Ryan Strome's rights and sign someone for a third of what I was paying him. I'd trade Kassian for futures.

There are a million ways to create cap-space and I don't like them all, but if I needed to do them to ensure that hole is filled for 18-19 - I'd do them.

While we need a point getting dman, what may interest u guys is that out of our 229 goals 32 were from Dmen, and then compare to the top goal scoring team (Tampa) out of their 290 48 were from Dmen. So 13.97% for us and 16.55% for them.

a difference of 16, just adding back a healthy Sek and Klef (using their goal totals from the year before) is adding 15 more goals. So while we need more offence from the back, we aren't desperate enough to trade big for Faulk

Sekera and Klefbom do not guarantee you 15 more goals, because you need to factor in the goal loss from their replacements and account for range. Either way, both of those players eat at even strength. Neither are worth much 5v4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad