Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
First on Winnipeg. This is a core that has been together for a long time and just won its first playoff game this season. I'm thoroughly impressed, but until they win a couple cups, lets not hold them up to a gold standard. We were 1 win away (or decent reffing away) from being right where they are last season.

Their depth however is quite impressive and it is once again a testament to the importance of patience with drafting and developing. Chiarelli is at least good there. Next year is the first year I've ever been excited about the depth of our farm team.

We need some right wingers. We could panic, or we could be patient with Pulju and Yamamoto while we bring in a stop-gap guy on a 1 or 2 year deal.
We need a right shot D. We could panic, or we could be patient with Bear and whoever we take at 10.
We need more offense from our dmen. We could be patient for Klef to get his game back, and see how Nurse continues to develop.

I feel like if we keep making trades, we will keep losing. And honestly, this isn't even about Chiarelli. It is the way of the NHL. You must, MUST draft and develop.
So just leave the team the way it is and hope all of them develop to be legit NHLers?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So just leave the team the way it is and hope all of them develop to be legit NHLers?
I think we need a couple of trades, but I still liked the main part of that post. Right now our prospect depth looks to be improved from these last couple of years drafting. What I don't want to see is the organisation starting to ship out prospects/picks for quick fixes. If you have a chance to hit a home-run (Doughty, Karlsson, ... OEL) then go for it and don't worry too much about what you spend. If not, stay the course, trade to tweak the roster and let our prospects develop.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Of course not. You hope that some become legit NHL players.

I'm fine with a trade if it means landing a legit #1dman. But what we are rumoured to be offering for Faulk, this team will be much better in 2 years if we don't make that deal and we just develop from within.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
A guy we could potentially watch when we are talking about Puljujarvi is Mikko Rantanen with Colorado. Both Big finish RW. Rantanen's first 2 years in the league were o points in 9 games. 35 points in 75 games then broke out this year with 84 points on Mckinnons wing, at the age of 21. Jesse will be playing this season as a 20 year old still. I think its best to hold onto him and put him in a spot to succeed. Which means not on the 3rd line with lucic and strome. I don't see why we don't just saddle him to RNH and Connor. It doesn't matter who we play with those 2 so why not put a kid there that we are trying to develop ane get his confidence up. He has the size and speed to play with those 2.
Your numbers are wrong here first year in the league post draft +1 Rantanen had 0 points in 9 games and then post draft+2 year he had 38 points in 75 games, then post draft +3 year he had 84 points in 81 games. Rantanen's post draft+2 season which is where Pulju is right now he had a 0.51 Pts per game, which is fringe 2nd liner numbers and Rantanen essentially doubled his point production getting 1.04 points this season. If Puljujarvi doubled his point production, which is a big ask in itself he'd be at 0.615 Pts/per game which is roughly 50 points pro-rated against an 82 game season, which are solid 2nd line numbers in the present NHL.

For Pulju to match Rantanen's production in his post draft+3 season he would need a 3.35x increase in his production from this past season, not a reasonable ask or hope, if Pulju is able to be a capable 2nd liner next season and nothing more we should count our lucky stars.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the Oil can get an actual NHL player with some skill and ability with their 2nd round pick, then by all means do it. Their track record at the draft has been totally pathetic and incompetent. Adding a Baertschi would be the best thing they've ever done with a second pick...

Looking at the Jets one sees just how far into the abyss the Oilers are... Jets have premium prospects at ALL positions in the AHL and overseas... The Oilers have nothing and with the exception of one player, have a bunch of question marks. Vegas shows what heart and compete level and good coaching can bring. The oilers fail on those levels as well. Really watching these playoffs is a huge wake up call for me, as this Oil team is so far from being competitive.

I am also impressed by the Jets. They have done an excellent job of drafting for sure. But we often forget that this team was not built from scratch in the last few years. Byfuglien, Little, Enstrom, Wheeler and in a way Myers are assets that go back to Atlanta. As much as that team is led by it's own draft choices without those guys Winnipeg is still a developing team.

The real failure of the Oilers management is that they failed to surround Hall, Nuge, Eberle and even Yakupov with any sort of competent veterans. Flip Russell and Lucic with Byfuglien and Wheeler and where would the teams be in comparison?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kapanen has the speed and 2-Way game to play with McDavid. He's been on the Leafs 4th line since he's been called up, and in the AHL he's over a point per game. More than what can be said for Puljujarvi...

Puljujarvi had more goals last season in a bottom six role and zero powerplay time than Kapanen has career points. Puljujarvi is also three years younger and much bigger. I wouldn’t trade him for three Kapanens.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Any cheap low risk high reward UFAs that we could be interested in?

I'd dig it if we could grab Vermette. He's still lights out on the dot and his footspeed hasn't fallen off too much. He could be had for cheap after an underwhelming year with the Ducks. He'd be a perfect fourth line center for a year or two until Rasanen is ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasDrai

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Vanek. Maybe Grabner who disappeared in the playoffs.

I also think Rick Nash comes cheap. He will prob get a Eric Staal type of deal.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Vanek and Vermette would both be ideal. 1-2 years at ~2 million. Maybe Hansen as well.

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Vanek/Hansen
Khaira - Strome - Yammamoto
Caggiula - Vermette - Kassian
Rattie

I'd be more confident with this lineup probably a little over the salary cap though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Vanek and Vermette would both be ideal. 1-2 years at ~2 million. Maybe Hansen as well.

Rattie

I'd be more confident with this lineup probably a little over the salary cap though.

I don't want Yamamoto on this team quite yet

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
do you really think so?
He is up there in age, and I don't think he gets any where close to the upper end, ....maybe 5 mill.

I can't see the Jets letting him go, even though they have a few big contracts coming up. That's turning out to be a great match.
I wouldn't be too surprised if they give him a 5x5.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I don't want Yamamoto on this team quite yet

While I agree with you as I think another year of development would be most beneficial to him, I just see no way management doesn't have him penciled into a spot to start the year. Especially considering how high they were on him last season and our lack of skilled forwards.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
While I agree with you as I think another year of development would be most beneficial to him, I just see no way management doesn't have him penciled into a spot to start the year. Especially considering how high they were on him last season and our lack of skilled forwards.

and he struggled when he played and was over his head--

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Your numbers are wrong here first year in the league post draft +1 Rantanen had 0 points in 9 games and then post draft+2 year he had 38 points in 75 games, then post draft +3 year he had 84 points in 81 games. Rantanen's post draft+2 season which is where Pulju is right now he had a 0.51 Pts per game, which is fringe 2nd liner numbers and Rantanen essentially doubled his point production getting 1.04 points this season. If Puljujarvi doubled his point production, which is a big ask in itself he'd be at 0.615 Pts/per game which is roughly 50 points pro-rated against an 82 game season, which are solid 2nd line numbers in the present NHL.

For Pulju to match Rantanen's production in his post draft+3 season he would need a 3.35x increase in his production from this past season, not a reasonable ask or hope, if Pulju is able to be a capable 2nd liner next season and nothing more we should count our lucky stars.

hahahahahaha ok really? so I was off by 3 points.

Also I didn't say I expect Puljarvi to succed as much as Rantanen or match his prodiction, I simply said he is a guy we could use as a comparable too, as in the sense of BE PATIENT.

Reactions: PulYou

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
hahahahahaha ok really? so I was off by 3 points.

Also I didn't say I expect Puljarvi to succed as much as Rantanen or match his prodiction, I simply said he is a guy we could use as a comparable too, as in the sense of BE PATIENT.
. Agreed!
Check out Filip Forsbergs career path. Lets not be the Washington Capitals here ok?

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Rattie

Can you trust Vermette to be an effective fourth liner and PKer for 82 games plus a potential playoff run? He's probably a guy who's going to one of the pricier options so perhaps you may be better suited grabbing one of the younger guys or maybe a player looking to make a bounce back.

If Glen Gulutzan ends up in Edmonton one name I would keep an eye on is Shawn Matthias. He was one of his main PK guys in Vancouver IIRC and he's currently spending the playoffs in the press box in Winnipeg so it wouldn't be shocking to see him come in at a clip closer to $1m than the $2m he's currently making.

I'd prefer to see two signings like Matthias and a guy like Peca than see one signing at a higher clip. A fourth line face off ace is an easy add later in the season if it becomes a need looking into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad