Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've said before and I'll say it again

If Buffalo trades Ristolainen in a trade for Klefbom

Buffalo depth chart

Left shot
Klefbom
Dahlin
Scandella
McCabe
Antipin
Beaulieu
Guhle

Right shot
Zach '55-games a season' Bogosian
Fedun
Nelson
Literally nobody else

Seriously. It's a ridiculous idea.
It's ridiculous that he is a guy they would be willing to move, but here we are anyway.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I've proposed this two deals before and they seem to be fair. Would you do either of them?

Jesse Puljujarvi, 10th Overall pick for Jared Spurgeon, 24th Overall Pick

Ethan Bear, 10th Overall pick, 2019 3rd
for Jared Spurgeon
I’d rather stand pat then do those deals.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yet only weeks ago the Bob's admitted to big changes(defense) and then made some firings. Little Bob even admitted staying patient and internal growth was a mistake...now it's the right move?

I doubt Chicken Pizza's rather timely/responsive tweet was anything but "the company line".

Stauffer never said that.
He has started with the "less is more" theme lately but he was never on board with making big changes.

Stauffer does get some things right with his cryptic hints, the Larsson and Strome trades he hinted at before they went down, signing a "KHL goalie" before the Koskinen signing.

However, I wouldn't take his latest tweet as gospel. I'd be shocked if Chia didn't make a significant trade. With his job on the line, he's not going to stand pat coming off of a bottom 10 finish IMO.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rishaug said the Oilers were "big game hunting" on TSN 1260 yesterday. Staples reported Rishaug's comments in the Journal.

Rishaug is probably why Stauffer said what he did.
How does that equal closing in on a blockbuster? Makes it sounds like it's something that is close to happening. Most people should know any sort of blockbuster isn't happening until closer to the draft

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
How does that equal closing in on a blockbuster? Makes it sounds like it's something that is close to happening. Most people should know any sort of blockbuster isn't happening until closer to the draft

Wow. That's really splitting hairs. Here's the clip to the Rishaug link if you want to get that pendantic. Start 3:00 mark.

Don't forget the last part of Stauffer's tweet where he said this off-season "less is more".

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it's both Rishaug's suggestion of what it might be and the predisposition of this board to loose it's mind because Chiarelli is the GM and isn't consulting the fanbase on trades and players.

Reactions: shoop

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wow. That's really splitting hairs. Here's the clip to the Rishaug link if you want to get that pendantic. Start 3:00 mark.

Don't forget the last part of Stauffer's tweet where he said this off-season "less is more".
How is that splitting hairs? Rishaug stated they are looking to big game hunt, Stauffer comes back squashing that something is in the works.

Does anyone truly believe PC is actually in heavy talks? Not all his options are even going to be talking right now.

Stauffer prematurely throwing water on something for no reason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How is that splitting hairs? Rishaug stated they are looking to big game hunt, Stauffer comes back squashing that something is in the works.

Does anyone truly believe PC is actually in heavy talks? Not all his options are even going to be talking right now.

Stauffer prematurely throwing water on something for no reason.

Who said that they were in "heavy talks"? Rishaug was just speculating what he thinks might happen this offseason.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

That's not splitting hairs.

Rishaug says they might go big for someone in the of season.

Stauffer in his tweet says "rumor that the Oilers are closing in on a blockbuster are exaggerated" no one said they were closing in on anything.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's not splitting hairs.

Rishaug says they might go big for someone in the of season.

Stauffer in his tweet says "rumor that the Oilers are closing in on a blockbuster are exaggerated" no one said they were closing in on anything.
Rishaug suggested an example and people took it as "OMG closing in, OMG, Chia, OMG" basically.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Rishaug suggested an example and people took it as "OMG closing in, OMG, Chia, OMG" basically.

Exactly. People are also ignoring the part in Stauffer's tweet about less being more. If people read the entirety of the tweet it doesn't seem like the Oilers will be doing a big deal this off-season.

Why are some people ignoring the fact that "less is more" seems to be a repudiation of the Oilers going 'big game hunting' at any point this off-season?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. People are also ignoring the part in Stauffer's tweet about less being more. If people read the entirety of the tweet it doesn't seem like the Oilers will be doing a big deal this off-season.

Why are some people ignoring the fact that "less is more" seems to be a repudiation of the Oilers going 'big game hunting' at any point this off-season?
No one is thinking the Oilers are. People are confused on why Stauffer was saying "rumors that don't exist aren't true". There is no rumor of a blockbuster being close.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I would personally assume the Oilers are "big game" hunting for a defenseman because there might be something out there, either UFA, RFA or trade, however I think Rishaug thinks more highly, as does the larger NHL world right now, of Ristolainen then do the Fans here. So he would see it as a major snag, where as many here would not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In all fairness I half ass questioned anything coming out of Rishaug while he is at the world's. Some days on gregor's show it's as if he's been trapped in the mountains for months and has no idea what the hell is going on in the real world.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe you can make a dramatic trade with the Canes

To CAR: 10th overall, Klefbom, Puljujarvi, Kassian, Sekera, Nick Ellis, Jones and 2019 1st

To EDM: Hanifin, Faulk, Skinner, Williams and rights to Ryan

Probably off base, but I think it would be a significant upgrade to the team. The team could still look to move other contracts.

Edit: Maybe you can flip Lucic to the Sharks, they will have a lot of cap space this offseason.

To SJ: Lucic, Slepyshev, 2nd 2019 and 3rd 2018

To EDM: Martin ($1M retainted) & Johnathon Martin

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yes let's not even try for a puck moving D-man. We have plenty of those...

We just don't have the assets to make a big deal and come out ahead. There's a better chance of drafting a PMD with the 10 pick than there is winning a deal with that pick heading out the door along with another valuable asset.

Reactions: Cypress

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Who shoots the puck on the dreadful pp? Klefbom? There are obvious holes that need filling. Not half measures Tambellini bs. Yet that sure looks like it is shaping up to be. And people keep buying tickets, supporting this toilet of a franchise.....

The powerplay was great in 16/17. The problem last year wasn't lacking a right shot D, it was the moronic powerplay system of "pass it around the perimeter until you run out of space, then desperately fling it off a PKers shin pads".

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
What would yall think of Madison Bowey as a buy low candidate? Not playing on the Caps currently.

Maybe offer RFA Benning + 3rd/4th?

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Sekera - Bowey/Persson

Bear - AHL top minutes.

He'd be worth a try, but I don't know if Caps would be willing to move him. If/when Carlsson leaves, Bowey might be the guy they expect to pick up some of the minutes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Big overpay IMO, Risto's defensive game just isn't in a place where I'd feel comfortable making that kind of move.

Risto checks some boxes for us but then our offensive capability from the left side would take a big hit by losing Oscar.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We just don't have the assets to make a big deal and come out ahead. There's a better chance of drafting a PMD with the 10 pick than there is winning a deal with that pick heading out the door along with another valuable asset.

There will be no puckmoving d men available at 10. They'll be taken ,mark my words, and only Ty Smith will be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad