Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
That’s because he gets all his points on the PP and sucks at 5v5 defensively and offensively, you know, where more than 80% of the game is played.

Last season, he got less 5v5 points than..*checks notes*..Kevin Connauton.

The whole team was garbage.

People don’t want to trade Klefbom for him because he’ll rebound but Ristolainen is finished at 23?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
The whole team was garbage.

People don’t want to trade Klefbom for him because he’ll rebound but Ristolainen is finished at 23?
Even taking into account his relative to teammates stats and Quality of Teammates, he’s still straight up ass at 5v5.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Because he's not very good outside of his PP numbers? At best, he's just more of what we already have.

No, we have nothing like him.

He is being misused in Buf the same as we totally, 100%, all blame on the management and coaches, wasted a good player in Justin Schultz. We deserved that outcome to no end

This dcore finally has the pieces to somewhat insulate a player like Risto, and the dividends could be massive overall.

I would love to get Risto, just not at the price being mentioned

Reactions: OilDrop37

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If Risto is “so much” like Schultz, then let’s get him around for what Pens used to get Schultz.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Call me crazy, but Matt Benning is significantly more accomplished than Bowey. I don't think I do that deal.

Benning is quietly developing into a quality middle six defenseman. I think he tends to get a bit overlooked.

He is definitely more accomplished. This is on potential alone.

Benning is atrocious defensively and subpar offensively. The physical side to his game is what has kept him alive this far.
I don't have at faith in him in the defensive zone.

(Disclaimer: I only saw a handful of the last 30 or so games due to a heavier school schedule, but unless he really stepped up his game I don't see how anyone can justify his defensive game)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No, we have nothing like him.

He is being misused in Buf the same as we totally, 100%, all blame on the management and coaches, wasted a good player in Justin Schultz. We deserved that outcome to no end

This dcore finally has the pieces to somewhat insulate a player like Risto, and the dividends could be massive overall.

I would love to get Risto, just not at the price being mentioned

The price is the whole sticking point here. If we're trading a package like Klefbom and a top 10 pick, it sure as hell shouldn't be for a player with almost 350 GP who still has to be heavily sheltered.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Because he's not very good outside of his PP numbers? At best, he's just more of what we already have.

He's only 23 years old. Same age as Nurse. If Klefbom can improve, then why can't Ristolainen when he's being put into a core with better Defence men helping him?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He is definitely more accomplished. This is on potential alone.

Benning is atrocious defensively and subpar offensively. The physical side to his game is what has kept him alive this far.
I don't have at faith in him in the defensive zone.

(Disclaimer: I only saw a handful of the last 30 or so games due to a heavier school schedule, but unless he really stepped up his game I don't see how anyone can justify his defensive game)
Benning had 21 points in his second NHL season with no powerplay time. Offensively, I would not call him Subpar just yet

Reactions: Cypress

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I dont see the huge upgrade trading Klef plus a much needed prospect for Risto. Why are we trading a 24 year old D man on a sweetheart contract who’s value is at his lowest after a down season for a minor upgrade?
Id rather have Klef and an impact prospect than Rosto to be honest. I dont see the huge benefit of this deal other than the righty vs lefty argument. This is the type of deal that will bite us in the ass.

Reactions: Cypress

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If Ristolainen is your target, you might as well pay less to pull Faulk. They bring about the same type of thing.

There might be more upside in Ristolainen, but I think it's the weaker option between the Faulk-type acquisition or the big fish acquisition.

I dont see the huge upgrade trading Klef plus a much needed prospect for Risto. Why are we trading a 24 year old D man on a sweetheart contract who’s value is at his lowest after a down season for a minor upgrade?
Id rather have Klef and an impact prospect than Rosto to be honest. I dont see the huge benefit of this deal other than the righty vs lefty argument. This is the type of deal that will bite us in the ass.

I would normally be beating this drum as well, but I've prepared myself for the inevitiability that he's moving.

Way too much smoke here.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Benning had 21 points in his second NHL season with no powerplay time. Offensively, I would not call him Subpar just yet
Noted that the McDavid factor is at work here but Benning's development curve is more impressive than Petry's was at the same age. The question is what Benning's upside is at this point. He's found money at this point and should be relatively cheap to develop internally.

If we're trading for guys like Bowey or Schmaltz, who both need waivers this season, I'd prefer to move prospects of picks for them. I'd prefer to avoid removing players from the roster of possible.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
If Ristolainen is your target, you might as well pay less to pull Faulk. They bring about the same type of thing.

There might be more upside in Ristolainen, but I think it's the weaker option between the Faulk-type acquisition or the big fish acquisition.

I would normally be beating this drum as well, but I've prepared myself for the inevitiability that he's moving.

Way too much smoke here.

Im ok with trading him but only in a package for an impact D man. Klef and #10 should get someone who can move the needle significantly not for a guy I wouldn’t trade Nurse for straight up. Id rather keep Klef and whoever we draft at 10 and bank on 77 having a bounce back year

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Noted that the McDavid factor is at work here but Benning's development curve is more impressive than Petry's was at the same age. The question is what Benning's upside is at this point. He's found money at this point and should be relatively cheap to develop internally.

If we're trading for guys like Bowey or Schmaltz, who both need waivers this season, I'd prefer to move prospects of picks for them. I'd prefer to avoid removing players from the roster of possible.
Benning is found money? Did no one watch how pure garbage Benning was this past season?

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The same people who turned so fast on Davidson are the ones acting like Benning is anything more than filler at this point. Picking up secondary assists while Mcdavid/Drais create a goal on their own isn't exactly showing offensive promise. The guy is Corey Potter level of a player but because he's young and signed with us people seem to have this weird obsession of pretending he's good or more importantly that he wasn't absolute garbage this last year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The same people who turned so fast on Davidson are the ones acting like Benning is anything more than filler at this point. Picking up secondary assists while Mcdavid/Drais create a goal on their own isn't exactly showing offensive promise. The guy is Corey Potter level of a player but because he's young and signed with us people seem to have this weird obsession of pretending he's good or more importantly that he wasn't absolute garbage this last year.
He can be physical and has an above average shot and shoots right. That's his positives.

His negatives is he isn't a smart player, horribly defensively and isn't really a great skater.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Noted that the McDavid factor is at work here but Benning's development curve is more impressive than Petry's was at the same age. .

Offensively? Sure
Petry (from what I remember) was always solid (or at least could hold his own) defensively. Which Benning is far from.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Offensively? Sure
Petry (from what I remember) was always solid (or at least could hold his own) defensively. Which Benning is far from.

What horrible asset management by Mac T. Everyone knew that Petry was a good defenceman when Mac T made his “challenge” instead of signing him long term. He prettty much gave him away to Montreal and we’d kill to have a defenceman like Petry on our 2nd pairing.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
What horrible asset management by Mac T. Everyone knew that Petry was a good defenceman when Mac T made his “challenge” instead of signing him long term. He prettty much gave him away to Montreal and we’d kill to have a defenceman like Petry on our 2nd pairing.

Terrible move I agree fully

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Petry
Sekera/Russel - Benning

Would be a lot better then what we have now

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Offensively? Sure
No question better defensively. IIRC it was him and Smid as our shutdown pair for his first few years. But I think it's promising that Benning's production has continued to grow. It'd be nice to see him improve his reads, but I think that part of his game may keep him as a relatively cheap depth option. As a bottom pairing defenseman he's done his job the past two years. So yes, I'd consider that found money.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Terrible move I agree fully

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Petry
Sekera/Russel - Benning

Would be a lot better then what we have now

Plus we wouldn't have Russell if Petry stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad