Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It wouldn't be defensible. It would be murder. It will cost you a lot more than that and it should.

The only player I take off the table in an acquisition that big is Connor McDavid. Literally every other asset on the team or in the system is available otherwise. Yes, even Leon Draisaitl, even though I don't think that will happen.

I guess for me the question is: can you make that kind of trade and have enough assets left to actually field a contending team even if you have two of the three best players in the world? Given the Oilers' current depth, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Last edited:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Eichel and 1st overall for McDavid.
This is something I was looking at last night but thought we could do something like
McD, Lucic, Sekera
For
Eichel, 1st, 2nd
Then move Eichel to CAR
Eichel
For
2nd overal, Teravainen
Teravainen, LD, Vanek
Svechnikov, RNH,
Grabner, Strome, Puljujarvi
Khaira, Ryan, Kaissin

Nurse, Larsson
Klefbom, Dahlin
Russel, Benning

Dahlin likes the right side

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Larsson was considered to have a ceiling of Lidstrom a few years ago. Was revered for his passing ability. Obviously he didn't quite get there, looks like a deer in the headlights in the o-zone.
Every d-man that comes out of Sweden was compared to Lidstrom.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Are we still in need od RH defender? I have heard rummors of bringing Joel Persson. That sums our D-corpse on right side to: Larson, Benning, Bear, Persson and one of Russel/Sekera. Bringing another D makes no sense unles we trade someone even if we will not sign Benning.

I think in an ideal world only one of bear, benning and persson are with the big club next year and it’s in a 6/7 spot. This team still needs a proven top 4 RHD

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Ristolainen has been thrown to the wolves in Buffalo. Similar to what the Oilers asked Schultz to do when he was here. Adam Larsson is a defensive beast and the perfect insulator for a guy like Risto. I think he would flourish playing behind Larsson and he certainly fits what we need on the PP.

I wouldn't do Klefbom and the 1st unless another decent piece was coming back though. Buffalo's 2nd would probably do the trick. That's only dropping 22 picks to fill a much bigger hole on RHD, while trading from our strongest area of depth.

I would prefer something like Sekera, the 1st, and a prospect. That might actually work for Buffalo as they get a veteran defenseman who's contract will expire the same time as Dahlin's ELC is up.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Let's say Chia is going hard for Karlsson, who would come with an extension, and Dorian is saying Draisaitl + or pound sand. Would you do it? Say the deal was Drai, Bear, and 2019 1st for Karlsson and Pageau.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I find that so interesting.

Insiders were pretty sure he was unhappy with his situation around the deadline. They will never win.

I think theyll suprise people next year. They have a solid vet D core with OEL/Goligoski/Demers/Hjmarlsson (id rank that around league average, higher if Hjmarlsson bounces back). Then they have some really good young talent in Keller, Domi and Chychrun. Add in Fischer/Perlini/Dvorak as skilled players with upside, and Strome as a big ? but could be a solid top 6 center. Lastly they have a solid goalie in Raanta

The problem this year IMO was that the team was so young and with so many new faces. Now that theyd have the year to gel, I think next year theyll push for a playoff spot. If I was OEL id have no problem staying there

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have to wait until at least July 1st to sign?
Ya, which I really don't get. I'd think smaller market teams would fight for this to change to 2 years before being a UFA, so at the very least if they need to trade a marquee player they can get some more value out of them.

With OEL, he's getting his years and probably $$$. Doesn't like it in 2 years, he probably has a NMC/NTC and will hand pick his team anyway.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is something I was looking at last night but thought we could do something like
McD, Lucic, Sekera
For
Eichel, 1st, 2nd
Then move Eichel to CAR
Eichel
For
2nd overal, Teravainen
Teravainen, LD, Vanek
Svechnikov, RNH,
Khaira, Ryan, Kaissin

Nurse, Larsson
Klefbom, Dahlin
Russel, Benning

The Oilers don't have McDonagh.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We should be on the phone with Carolina all summer longer. Faulk is the most talked about target, but Id be hoping we could land either Slavin or Pesce (as reports are Carolina has everyone besides Aho available). A lot of other pieces on Carolina to like as well with Hanifin (would cost a ton), Skinner, Faulk, Pesce, Rask

Bit strange to see Carolina blow it up (if the reports are true). They appear to be a goalie away from being legit and thats been the case for 2/3 years now

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Saw this on twitter- since 2015 the following D have been traded:

Subban, Weber, Seth Jones, Hamilton, Hamonic, Hjarmlsson, McDonagh, Karlsson (potentially),

In that time, the Oilers have desperately been looking for a D and have gave up Hall, Eberle, 16th, 33rd (so far) and returned none of those D

Reactions: Jamin and Aerrol

North

Jun 25, 2009

Subban, Weber, Seth Jones, Hamilton, Hamonic, Hjarmlsson, McDonagh, Karlsson (potentially),

In that time, the Oilers have desperately been looking for a D and have gave up Hall, Eberle, 16th, 33rd (so far) and returned none of those D

Context is everything though. Subban and Weber were traded for each other. Edmonton turned down Montreal's request (which didn't include Hall or Eberle) for Subban because it was ridiculous. According to Snow's mouthpiece, he wanted neither Hall nor Eberle for Hamonic. Boston took an arguably worse offer for Hamilton because they were pissed at Chia. They tried to get Jones but Nashville decided they wanted Johansen rather than RNH.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
What would yall think of Madison Bowey as a buy low candidate? Not playing on the Caps currently.

Maybe offer RFA Benning + 3rd/4th?

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Sekera - Bowey/Persson

Bear - AHL top minutes.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What would yall think of Madison Bowey as a buy low candidate? Not playing on the Caps currently.

Maybe offer RFA Benning + 3rd/4th?

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Sekera - Bowey/Persson

Bear - AHL top minutes.
Call me crazy, but Matt Benning is significantly more accomplished than Bowey. I don't think I do that deal.

Benning is quietly developing into a quality middle six defenseman. I think he tends to get a bit overlooked.

Reactions: Jamin and Cypress

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

That's not fair though as Subban was for Weber, Seth Jones was for Johansen (We tried Nuge+ but was turned down), Hamonic and Hamilton were a bit under-whelming (More Hamonic than Hamilton) and Calgary gave up a lot of prospects for those 2, Hjarmlsson was for Connor Murphy and Daulphin who both are young and was treated like a 'get younger/salary dump' kind of trade, and McDonagh was a pretty big trade at the deadline which if we did that trade, you'd hear EVERYONE complain about it, especially with our pick being a lottery pick.

I'd argue Larsson is better than Hamonic, Hjarmlsson, and McDonagh in terms of defense, Eberle was a straight out cap causalty and the rest of the league didn't see much value in him, and 16th and 33rd was not a great trade, but Reinhart did saved us in the end at the Expansion Draft. So all in all, I don't think that twitter argument is really fair.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I really just dont see the point in trading Klefbom unless the team doctors are really skeptical about his health or something. Build around Larsson, Nurse, and Klefbom. It shouldnt be that difficult. Just seems like the Oilers are overthinking their defense.

I will say there seems to be quite a bit of smoke around Klefbom though. I think Chiarellis going to make some kind of a big trade this offseason. I expect most of us wont like it.

Reactions: Cypress

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really didn't realize this until yesterday, but Kempny for a 3rd this year at deadline. WSH looking pretty smart on that deal right now

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
McD, Lucic, Sekera
For
Eichel, 1st, 2nd
Then move Eichel to CAR
Eichel
For
2nd overal, Teravainen
Teravainen, LD, Vanek
Svechnikov, RNH,
Khaira, Ryan, Kaissin

Nurse, Larsson
Klefbom, Dahlin
Russel, Benning

I see some people forget to say when when they were drinking last night

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I hate it when Rishaug brings up these crap rumours because I know on some level it's likely going to happen. I remember him trying to soft-pedal the Hall/Larsson deal.
If its just Klefbom for Ristolainen, then we take it and run away all the way to Atlantis

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Ristolainen for Klefbom and 10th overall sounds about right for current Oilers management.

I'm actually happy they're open to a big trade for an impact defenseman because the Oilers have been way too conservative for way too long when it comes to upgrading via the trade market. The only problem is Ristolainen isn't an impact defenseman.

Now, John Carlson? I think that's a really great fit and I'd be more willing to break the bank on that one.

I don't understand how a 40 point, 23 year old defenseman with lots of potential, isn't impact worthy?

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
We should be on the phone with Carolina all summer longer. Faulk is the most talked about target, but Id be hoping we could land either Slavin or Pesce (as reports are Carolina has everyone besides Aho available). A lot of other pieces on Carolina to like as well with Hanifin (would cost a ton), Skinner, Faulk, Pesce, Rask

Bit strange to see Carolina blow it up (if the reports are true). They appear to be a goalie away from being legit and thats been the case for 2/3 years now

I have a feeling Chia was planning to trade Puljujarvi for Faulk, though I think interest will be diminished now that Carolina won the 2nd OA

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I don't understand how a 40 point, 23 year old defenseman with lots of potential, isn't impact worthy?
That’s because he gets all his points on the PP and sucks at 5v5 defensively and offensively, you know, where more than 80% of the game is played.

Last season, he got less 5v5 points than..*checks notes*..Kevin Connauton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->