Ansar Khan: Offseason over

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
I think detroit might also have a problem with their location. What player with the choice of Detroit or say Vancouver would want to live in Detroit? Who wants to live in Detroit? Great hockey town, bad for everything else. I'd rather live in Nashville, Dallas, pretty much everywhere but Detroit, (except St Louis and Pittsburgh) I think that is a huge detractor for the wings trade/FA signings.

But I still think the Wings have some good forward talent and half a defense (3 good guys) and Smith is getting better. Quincey is a boat anchor, I think the opposing team plans to skate and or dump on his side just for the easy access to the zone. Finally could the wings get a healthy year after 2 bad injury seasons. I'm hoping these guys can make it deep in the second round. Especially if the other teams think their done.

Detroit as a location wasn't a problem for years with free agents, despite it being an awful city to live in for like 30 years now. Detroit is actually nicer now than it was 10-15 years ago, at least in the downtown area. I highly doubt that is a factor for the majority of potential UFAs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think detroit might also have a problem with their location. What player with the choice of Detroit or say Vancouver would want to live in Detroit? Who wants to live in Detroit? Great hockey town, bad for everything else. I'd rather live in Nashville, Dallas, pretty much everywhere but Detroit, (except St Louis and Pittsburgh) I think that is a huge detractor for the wings trade/FA signings.

Nah, Detroit is a great hockey city without having to live under a microscope like you do in most Canadian markets. You think Evander Kane would enjoy dealing with our local softball pitching media over the media in a Canadian market?

Birmingham and Royal Oak are perfectly fine places to live. Chicago - massive numbers of shootings aside - is very livable and is a great hockey city but no one wanted to sign there when dolla Bill Wirtz was running things. Now you get to play alongside Pat Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith? Yes please. The Penguins were such a disaster there was talk of moving them to Kansas City. It was probably to get the city to fork over the money to build a new stadium but now guys like Christian Ehrhoff sacrifice long-term deals to play with Sid and Geno. Paul Martin signed on with them as well and we could certainly use a d-man like him.

It's all about the product on the ice.

justabill

Mar 25, 2013
Nah, Detroit is a great hockey city without having to live under a microscope like you do in most Canadian markets. You think Evander Kane would enjoy dealing with our local softball pitching media over the media in a Canadian market?

Birmingham and Royal Oak are perfectly fine places to live. Chicago - massive numbers of shootings aside - is very livable and is a great hockey city but no one wanted to sign there when dolla Bill Wirtz was running things. Now you get to play alongside Pat Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith? Yes please. The Penguins were such a disaster there was talk of moving them to Kansas City. It was probably to get the city to fork over the money to build a new stadium but now guys like Christian Ehrhoff sacrifice long-term deals to play with Sid and Geno. Paul Martin signed on with them as well and we could certainly use a d-man like him.

It's all about the product on the ice.

Who doesn't want to play with Dats and Hank? I understand the team is lacking in the D with half a d-core, but Detroits team can still be very formidable. Maybe even scarier since the aren't considered the threat they used to be. There's talent on all four lines. It just not big name talent, yet. And now without Bertuzzi and Samuelson it makes the team even less of a known quantity. So maybe Detroit doesn't need a big name other then 13 and 40

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
At this point I have absolutely no doubt that Holland will carry the exact same defense into next season. He'll ice Kindl and Lashoff despite the former being a proven disappointment and the latter being of AHL quality, and he'll justify this with a trite, stupid comment about his policy of overripening prospects, all the while ignoring that the entire team, Kronwall included, is getting a year older.

The policy of overripening prospects is a solid one that has paid dividends, but Holland pursues it with a blind inflexibility. It would behoove the organization to consider all factors rather than simply holding the policy in all situations. But I'm not holding my breath for this to happen anytime soon; management has demonstrated a shockingly blind predilection toward old methods regardless of whether or not they work anymore, a fact plainly shown by this disastrous offseason and Holland's "what me worry?" attitude toward it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->