GDT: [Official]: WJC Thread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hickey struggled tonight. No question.
He had a strong tournament except for this game. He needs to evolve as a puck mover through.
The guy that really impressed me was Ollas-Mattsson. Classic case of HF (myself included) having no idea how good some international players are

What's your scouting report on him? Cuz I've read little bits of information, and from everything I've heard, unless he develops any offensive ability I'd be surprised if he ever came over. Like is he ahead of Sieloff and Kanzig?

moon*

I obviously haven't watched him in Sweden but with his family situation and apparent borderline skills (i.e. zero offense) he seems like a guy that is likely to stay in Sweden and play there for his career.

moon*

As for the goalies as mentioned yes McDonald unfortunately didn't do anything leading up to the tournament, in the pre-Tournament games or in his two games in the tournament to force Lowry's hand to play him more.

I know they wanted to just go with the two guys but since they were forced to bring Montembault and with the way he played in the pre-Tournament games I think maybe they should have thrown him in against Sweden to see what he had to offer.

I guess Blackwood looked good leading into the tournament so the thought may have been the Swiss games was just rust but he was awful, awful, awful today.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What's your scouting report on him? Cuz I've read little bits of information, and from everything I've heard, unless he develops any offensive ability I'd be surprised if he ever came over. Like is he ahead of Sieloff and Kanzig?

I would say

AOM = Sieloff >>>>> Kanzig

And hey, a goal and assist in five WJC games is more than Travis "best offensive D-man in the CHL" Sanheim. So there's that.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I would say

AOM = Sieloff >>>>> Kanzig

And hey, a goal and assist in five WJC games is more than Travis "best offensive D-man in the CHL" Sanheim. So there's that.

Sanheim was terribly misused and didn't get much time at all. So, I wouldn't really tske his WJC stats seriously at all. He was probably the best defenseman for Candles this tournament (or Chabot).

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Sanheim was terribly misused and didn't get much time at all. So, I wouldn't really tske his WJC stats seriously at all. He was probably the best defenseman for Candles this tournament (or Chabot).

You're preaching to the choir. Lowry managed to misutilize every player on Canada that I like - Sanheim, Hickey, Barzal, McDonald, Crouse, Konecny, Gauthier.

But AOM still has more points than Sanheim and AOM isn't exactly used in an offensive role. It's an accomplishment to be in the top ~10 defensemen in scoring at WJC even if it's dumb luck.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I see Ollas-Mattson as a bigger, mean version of Ty Wotherspoon.

As for Sanheim, he was consistently being beat in his own zone the first few games of the tournament. He was also a mess in his own zone at summer camp. Don't know why Lowrie would trust him with tougher match ups when he was struggling on the third pairing. Honestly I thought he was by far Canada's worst D until this last game.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You're preaching to the choir. Lowry managed to misutilize every player on Canada that I like - Sanheim, Hickey, Barzal, McDonald, Crouse, Konecny, Gauthier.

But AOM still has more points than Sanheim and AOM isn't exactly used in an offensive role. It's an accomplishment to be in the top ~10 defensemen in scoring at WJC even if it's dumb luck.

True, although in AOM's case I think luck (or circumstance, rather) plays a big role. Sweden has been outrageously good offensively, so I don't think it takes much for one of their D to snag a couple of points.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
1-0 to Sweden after first. Again an entertaining and fast paced game. Swedes were able to keep the Aho line in control, they seemed to put more pressure on forecheck when that line was on ice. On a positive side finnish D hasn't made any blunders yet like in previous games.

Sweden's Timashov looks really good, small and speedy, good hands. Stylewise maybe something like Gaudreau.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
2-1 to Finland after two. First goal just after PP ended, second on the PP. Both Kapanen and Kempe hit the post on PP. Rantanen has been the biggest disappointment for Finland so far, but tonight he has two primary assists :handclap:

It's gonna be exciting third period.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Russia-Finland final on Tuesday. National holiday (Epiphany?) on Wednesday. I think I'll have to get some beer for the final :nod:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's gonna be interesting to see how the game starts. In group stage Finland dominated the first 10 minutes against Russia, but then completely collapsed.

Canada and Sweden were able to put a lot of pressure of the finnish D early in the game, and Finland had a lot of difficulties to open the game.

I didn't have much hope for Finland after that Russia game (I was sure it's gonna be QF exit), but they have managed to improve their D and Kähkönen seems to be really hot goalie at the moment.

Also, :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I don't understand why Sandström wasn't pulled. Does his coach hate him or something?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
1-0 to Russia after first. Finland started good but took two stupid penalties, Russia scored on the first of those, and hit the post on Finland's PP. Doesn't look too good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad